3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: treestand solutions: what works "best"?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
treestand solutions: what works "best"?
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Hi Gang:
Here is the problem:  I am using an old climber stand, it's time for a new (safer) one.

My neighbor told me he was not hunting on the weekend, and for me to use his stand, if I wanted.
(it's a nice comfy ladder type stand)

The offer was too good to pass up, and I did.
It was liberating to head to the woods, not "backpacking" my climber with me.

For you guys that have been at this a long time, what works best?  Stay mobile with a climber, or hang a stand or two, and simply climb in?

By the way, I'm hunting a particular area, and have no plans to change.  It's close to home, and I am learning it well.

The idea of hanging a stand or two is MUCH more appealing, than using a climbing stand each time.

It seems that (for instance) you can put steps in several trees, and easily hang a lone wolfe hang on stand, and easily move it around.

Maybe I just hate the "climber" stand I have, and a new one is significantly better?

Maybe hang-on is the way to go? (that opens up the "screw in steps vs ladder" debate)

I could use some help from you veterans: what works best?  I plan on hitting it hard, in '07.
Thanks in advance,
Rich

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: treestand solutions: what works "best"?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
There's nothing like hunting from a ladder stand provided that it's set up already. Quiet and rock solid. I have two new loggy bayous ultra light climbers one i have chained up on private property chained up with climbing steps and another one I have to HIT and RUN so to speak.But in my honest opinion Rich this time of year with all the pressure the deer have been through I would think you would be better off with a portable seat or just walking threw the woods still hunting unless you can find yourself a good food source still around. Also screw in steps are a good way to get all sweated up and this time of year you don't want that.So a ladder stand early season permanent like in a acorn ridge can't be beat in my opinion

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
I actually found the Climber to be liberating when I finally broke down and bought one about 6 years ago. I hunt mostly public lands so leaving semi-permanent stands is not an option. I also find that even when I hunt the same general areas, I often fine tune my stand placement last minute which would be difficult to do with a ladder stand.

I've got the new Open Shot from Summit. One of the lightest climbers I've been able to find at about 14 pounds. It sacrifices a bit of platform size and comfort in the seat, but worth it to me (and I'm 6'4" so  usually appreciate the extra room) I've shot 4 deer out of it this year so I guess it's comfortable enough! Its reduced seat/climber size makes it easier to find limb clearance than some of the comfier "sleep while you hunt" seats Summit offers.

For me the biggest drawback is that sometimes the "perfect" tree isn't climber friendly. Then you are stuck placing your stand in a less than ideal spot. Something to consider if you lack straight boled trees. Hasn't been a big problem for me. I guess I'll look into some new climbing sticks for my hang on (which I haven't used in years)for those special cases that require it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Ricj.  My experience tells me that, although a climber is nice to have....my go to stand is a quality strap on or hang on stand.  I can go up nearly any tree around and hunt in some way or another.  I use either strap on steps or Lone Wolf sticks.  Both are quiet and fast for me.

I use a Chippewa Quest and find it a breeze to install.  In addition...in MY opinion, it is a fine stand, much better than any of the (many) others I have owned, both in terms of no noise, and no stand movement while up there.   Always wear some sort of fall restraint when in a tree.

I know some folks love and swear by their climber.  I just feel that..for ME...I can go up any tree they can, nearly as fast and with usually less noise, and they cannot go up some of the trees that I can.  And if you drop your tab while up there, I can just climb back down , get it and scoot up into my stand.  Can't do that with a climber.  

I suggest you look at a bunch and find one (or some) that you like and go with them.  There are a bunch of good ones out there to choose from.

A noted down side to leaving them out there.....well, sometimes they (the stands) migrate...don't know to where yet.
ChuckC

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
I like climbers the most but ladderstands are good also in certain spots.

I have hangers but I'm getting away from them. They are dangerous to hang and dangerous to hunt from compared to a good climber.

All fixed stands are fodder for thieves, sooner or later.
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
I've pondered the same questions myself. I currently use a Lone Wolf climber because I now hunt public land. In the past when I hunted leases, I used both hang-ons and climbers. Heres my take: Climbers are great for mobility and public land but even lightweight climbers can be pain to carry. And like Steve said, its sometimes hard to find a climb-able tree where you want it. This happens to me with annoying frequency. As for hang-ons, they are great when you can leave them, which is seldom an option on public land.And, I always hated screw-in steps and the sweating and cussing that went with them.

I think next year I'm going to give the Womack system a serious try. A super light strap-on is alot easier to carry, the woodpecker drill is much better than screw in steps, and you no longer have to find that perfect tree. It even allows you to leave a stand overnight for that "liberating" feeling the next morning  :)  .

To me, it seems like Warren's system addresses alot of problems  :)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
I use them all each year.Everything from climbers to useing tree gaffs and loc-ons and the tree suit.Each on has a place and a time it works best.In the early mornings I prefer a stand that is already in place to slip into quietly.The afternoons a climber might work best to hunt a place I just found that needs sitting on.I don't think I would not like to have all the options I can get so there is at least one of each in my truck during hunting season along with a few that are already in place or at least trees that have the steps in so hanging a stand just takes a couple of minuites.Just no best.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline dougers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
if you are hunting the same area, i would use them both.  you know the area well, so i would find some used hang on stands to leave up all season.  i would also get a climber.   that way you could have all your bases covered.  i bought an older climber and liked it, but like others have said...finding a good tree doesnt always lend itself to a particular spot.  i also had a friend who left a REALLY old climber in the woods all season, another option.  it can get $$ so i would suggest ebay or something like that to give you more options. the more stands you can have up, the better.  also, if you want to use screw in steps...take a chordless drill and make/buy a tool to give you more leverage when screwing them in, you can make quick work of steps that way.
live and die by shades of grey

Offline Cam Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Rich, I've hunted out of the same Amacker-Bobcat climber now for over 20 years. Most of the time I'm on public land which makes being portable a must. You simply can;t always hunt where you want to. Another aspect of a climb that I like, is that depending on the spot and tree's your hunting, you may need to vary the height to which you need to hunt from. Some places I may hunt only 8-10 ft up but others I may go up to 20ft. I've also had days when I would see deer moving say 50yds from where I need to be and when things slow down I'll move over. Good Luck and Good Hunting! Cam
Cam Huff

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
I like to be mobile. But gave up on climbers a long time ago ( back in the Baker climbing stand days). I like a light hang-on stand and Lone Wolf climbing sticks, I used to carry a dozen screw in steps but now love the sticks. Many friends have asked, You put up a stand everytime you go out!? I answer, YES! unless I'm hunting from the ground. I let the wind tell me where I'm going to hunt every single time into the woods.

If I were hunting fixed stands, there would only be certain stands to hunt with certain wind directions. Being mobile, I have the ability to hunt the same area with several different wind directions or if the direction changes say mid-morning, I climb down and move according to the change. Another scenario,,if your sitting in a fixed stand watching deer all morning useing the ridge across from you, why sit & watch? Move over there where the deer are! Many times the wind or deer movement has changed on me from early to mid-morning, but I have made it pay off by moving accordingly.

Two things I'm a fanatic about, building selfbows & playing the wind. Selfbows and treestands might seem hypocritical to some. But you know what? It don't matter, I just know that it works for me!  :p
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
I'm with Flatstick. LW hang on and LW sticks. Fast, easy, and quiet. With the right climbing harness you're not going anyhwere while you're setting up.

Between my brother and I we have six complete sets and are buying #7 right now.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
sticks and a climax hang-on. ladders are great but not as moble so when a ladder is not an option I use a hang-on.  I build my own stands but they are alot like a climax stand by lock-on I believe. They have a jack leg that is under the platform and are IMHO the safest hang-on design made.

good luck,
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
To those of you who use the climbing sticks with a hang-on. I can see the advantage of more versatility with what trees you can use, and that is definitely a biggie. But, isn't this more bulky to carry and heavier than some climbers? Also,when hanging your stand, do you go up with the ladder sections and the stand all at once, or go back down to get the stand?

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
I love climbers. They are MUCH more comfortable which results in longer sits. I have several Summits. I like the Python that is no longer made and also have the Razor. Both are quiet and cozy.
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
I have come up with a wierd system.

I use the tree suit with an old lone wolf (v-bar)seat.
The lone wolf seat folds flat and is held to my back by the tree suit when traveling to and from.

I use the lone wolf seat on my feet as the climber base.

I strap in the tree suit when I get to the height I want.

I have a wood pecker drill for the trees I can't climb and hang in the tree suit.

The whole setup weighs less than 10 lbs.

i can't say that I kill a lot of deer though.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
I hunt a lot of public ground as well as the family farm.  At the farm, I have 3 ladder stands set up for different wind conditions (as flatstick mentioned).  If you spend enough time in the woods, you'll learn to let the wind guide you.  It also helps knowing the pattern of the deer.  You can find a great tree, but if the deer aren't using trails within in your range, you're wasting your time.  

I like climbers for public ground, but that requires some scouting and extra time in the woods too.  You need to know where the deer are moving as well and find trees that will safely support you and your stand.  Also look up and around the tree before ascending.  A pocket saw is handy too, trust me.  Do not walk in blind (in the dark) and expect to climb a tree and shoot a deer.  It can happen, but I know from personal experience that it's no fun watching the sun come up while I'm scrambling to find a tree in a 'good spot.'  It just doesn't work like that.  

One downside to ladder stands is they can get slippery from frost on cold mornings like today.  Watch your step and always using a harness as stated earlier.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
CJ   I typically put the sticks up first and when I get to my height, strap on the "hanging cable" for the stand.  I usually go down and grab the stand then and climb back up, which takes me all of maybe 5 seconds.  With the Chippewa system, there is a strap or chain separate from the stand which actually goes around the tree. Then, there are wedge shaped pieces on the stand that slide in between the chain and the tree.  Doing that, I don't have to hold and balance with a whole stand, getting it around the tree etc.  It is slick.  I don't think it weighs all that much and I have a system for strapping the sticks (I use 4) right onto the back of the stand for carrying in.  I personally don't see any advantage at all to a climber, but, that is only my opinion.
CHuckC

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
Great, great comments and thoughts, guys, I really appreciate it.
Last night, I was looking at the Lone Wolfe hang-on stand, thinking that if I combined it with the sticks, I'd have a pretty slick set up, sort of like Chuck is describing.

I sure wish I knew guys in my area that were into this stuff, to try a stand, etc., but this site
has TONS of helpful guys on it.

Thanks again,
Rich

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
I would combine both.  Where I hunt I have several stand locations that deer go by annually due to geographical features and other reasons.  The deer are always going by there.  I set stands up on them ahead of time.  After that I have my mobile solutions, which include hunting on the ground, hang ons,and this year my first climber.  I don't prefer climbers because they are bulky, heavy, and noisy, but there are some instances where they can be handy.  For deep in I'd rather hunt off the ground than carry a climber.

Just about every stand I leave up is a WalMart, after season discount stand.  I hit every WalMart within a 60 mile radius (and even further as work travel takes me sometimes)after the season, and have gotten stands for as little as $25.  I can afford to risk those to theft.  No losses so far.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Rich,
i hunt a lot of public grounds and have been using a light loc on stand (lone wolf or loc on windtalker) and with pole climbing spikes and you can get into any tree you want.  I have everything i need strapped on my backpack.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©