3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: treestand solutions: what works "best"?  (Read 3142 times)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: treestand solutions: what works "best"?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
If I were to buy just one stand, I'd get a climber. As far as I'm concerned they are the most versitile for my hunting situations. I own and use a clamp on type also and have thoughts of getting a simple ladder stand. Any and all have their place and all will work in most situations.
   If you don't like screw in steps one of the clamp-on, sectional ladders works very well, are easy to put up and are quite once in place. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Given the choice between a pre-set stand (hangon or ladder) and a climber I would take the preset any day.

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
I noticed the word "liberating" being used alot at the start of this thread. Ever consider still-hunting as an option? Years ago I decided to get out of the trees and try ground level. I found it to be the most liberating of all. I rarely ever even think of getting in a stand now.

I primarily hunt public lands or small chunks of private. It is nice not to have to carry anything extra into the woods and I love the freedom to move around with the game. Nothing to carry out either 'cept for the critters.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline PeteTschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
Quick newbie question.
Where can I get more info on the 'Tree Suit'?

Next fall will be my first bowhunting, trying to get a handle on what I need to get.
I am leaning towards still hunting, but would like to have options

thanks in advance, Pete

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
I still haven't found one stand to do it all.

I use lock-ons with climbing sticks if I can leave them safely - but I don't really like them for set-up and take-down for each hunt.
I have several ladders that also get left in place - most of them for the season - but this past year I bought a Loggy Brush ladder - 30# and quick, easy set-up - I've moved that one around a bit, and like it alot (and the price is great - at around $70 its no more expensive than the "cheap", heavy ladders)
If I'm planning to set a stand just for the one hunt (or for a night hunt and the following morning) I like a climber - though I'm looking for a new (lighter) one - I've almost convinced myself to order a Loggy Bayou Stalker XL - it looks like you could use it like a lock-on or as a climber - not too bad at 17# - and Cabelas is selling them with a free hand-climber (usually about $60 more)
If someone here could give me some feedback on them (good or bad) I could stop staring at that page in the Cabelas catalog and get on with it....  :banghead:    ;)
The beaten path is for beaten men.

Offline Double Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
I'm using the Mellenium lock on with my Lone Wolf sticks....  That makes for an extremely mobile, yet extremely comfortable setup.  The Lone Wolf stand is great for mobility, but it lacks any comfort what so ever.

The Mellenium system is the way to go.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Old Ways- I have thought of ground hunting. In fact, got my first "on purpose" ground deer (sika) this year from a natural blind. It was exhilerating, particularly having a deer within four yards of me at their level. It takes a supreme level of confidence though and I haven't been able to give up my trees for good yet. Particularly for the keyed up whitetails I hunt on public land. I generally lack the patience to move slowly enough for still hunting to be productive. I did have another ground experience first this year. Stalked a bedded whitetail doe to within seven yards and blew the shot after a 40 minute wait when she stood up out of the goldenrod. I do look forward to the day when I give up my stands for good...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©