3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cabelas WOOL????  (Read 448 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Cabelas WOOL????
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
I am looking to get a vest. Is there really that much of a difference between theris and GW, SI or KOM. Some are about $200 difference??  BILL

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cabelas WOOL????
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
I have the Cabelas and I couldn't be happier! There is alot of pockets too, including one outside the main zipper but under the button down flap that you can put your glasses in and out without opening up the vest and letting cold air in.Very warm and comfortable couldn't ask for more.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
I agree with ks... Plus i was chasing hogs through dead cedar, briars, and everything else the hillcountry could throw at me and it held up great

oh yeah and I am sold on their outfitter camo berber!
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
check their bargain cave if you have one near buy, i swing in quite often and pick up great deals... bought the wooltimate windshear vest for $30 normally 100!
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
I have the vest, paints, parka. I like them.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
I use it. Best hunting clothing I have bought. Recommended here.

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
Scuse me all but I need a clarification. The topic title says "Cabelas Wool" but Nightowl 1 spoke of wooltimate. I think there is a difference isn't there? I have a Wooltimate vest and KOM and love them both. But is someone saying the Cabelas Wool is as good or better than the KOM or Sleeping Indian?
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
TL, I am just trying to find out if it even compares for WAY less $ How does their Wooltimate compare to their wool?  BILL

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
For me, Wooltimate is great for warmth, but a few years ago when I was hunting caribou, wearing my KOMs, I fell in water and was probably 30 miles from camp. I NEVER got cold, I got wet but not cold. I don't know if Wooltimate can do that for you. Some one else is going to have to answer that one.
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
I have tryed all and nothing matches KOM......You can spend less and thats what you get.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I have both Cabela's wool and Wooltimate.

I have an unlined Wooltimate vest and love it. I tried the windstopper vest and thought the lining was possibly a hair noisy if dead calm. It probably was fine, but I like zero noise. In late season Michigan, something that's OK for noise in October becomes noisy in frigid dead calm.

Overall, you can't beat Wooltimate for the money. But it is what it is. It's not a super high end higher quality wool vest. I got mine in the bargain cave for like $50 to use as layering under my Cabela's wool, so I don't get as much bulk in the arms. It's worth more than that to me. It's worth $100, easy. If in the bargain cave, don't think about it, just buy it. You'll find a use for it.
They still have some unlined left in only XXL. They have lined for $90-100 in all sizes.
 http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0033630932573a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&sort=all&Ntk=Products&_D%3AhasJS=+&Go.y=10  &Nty=1&hasJS=true&Ntt=Wooltimate+outfitter+camo&_requestid=55542&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=7

As far as Cabela's wool, I also like it very much. I bought mine years ago and it was made by Pendleton for Cabela's. I don't know if they still make Cabela's stuff or not. It's high quality, althought I wish the camo had more contrast. At a distance, it may as well be olive drab.

Don't overlook Day One Camo for price in the middle, between Cabela's and the Gucci-flage.
You can get a Day One lined wool vest in ASAT or grey for $120.
 http://ns1.bowsite.org/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=8&CATID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=9

My warm weather spring turkey outfit is a Day One light fleece pull over shirt and pants in apparition green. Nobody makes as nice of warmer weather light fleece.
In fact, I like it so much, that I'm having him make me a light fleece bibs and pull over shirt in ASAT that I can use when we get those late October warm days, which always seem to happen and I can put it over my Cabela's wool if cold, since I'm getting it made in XXL instead of my normal XL.

If Cabala's made that wool in ASAT or Predator, it'd be the super bomb. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with their outfitter pattern, but it may as well be olive drab. And olive drab or plaid is just fine. But I actually enjoy hunting in camo and trying to match my camo to the setting.

But that's as much for me and my fun as it is the deer. This Fall, in my Cabela's wool, I was hunting on the ground and hit the grunt tube on a nice 8pt walking away from me. Well, he pin pointed that call and started coming my way. And coming my way and coming my way, until he was 8 yards away from me, facing me, in thick underbrush.
We has a staredown for literally 2 minutes, because I began to think that I can't stand here this motionless, ready to draw, for much longer. Then I was so thrilled by the whole thing, I started to smile and was tryng to keep my upper lip down because I was woriied he'd see my teeth. Then, I found the whole thing so cool that I started to laugh inside and my belly was shaking and I was worried I'd snort a laugh out my nose.

Well, after about 2 minutes, he got nervous, licked his lips, took a step back and whirled away and stopped about 30 yards away and looked back. With the brush and facing me, I never had a shot, despite him being only 8 yards away.

I dropped the bow to my side and said out loud "how #@%* cool was that!" That was awesome!

But back to the Cabela's wool. That buck was 8 yards away, staring right at me and he basically looked thru me. He really wasn't nervous, but he knew I was something.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Another one to get is the Columbia wool is the snow/grey outfitter pattern. They call it snow, but it's really just grey outfitter.

Here's one that was $130, now $75. It's the only one in grey outfitter I found. Looks like they have it in XL only.
It's the top link here...
 http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=columbia+wool+camo+vest&aq=f&oq=

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for good wool.  It gets pretty cold around these parts and I've found wool sweaters to be a great layering item.  I buy mine at Goodwill mostly.
As for falling in a creek, wool, by it's nature, will keep insulating even when wet, and you can walk your way back to camp without too much worry.  Just don't layer underneath it with cotton.   I would go for the cheaper Cabelas and use the extra money for something else.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Yup, what George said!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
KOM is great but it has to be mighty cold outside for this Texan to get to use it. I'd recommend Johnson Mills wool products as well. You can find them in the Cabela's catalog or on line.I'm also big on Ron LaClair's "Longhunter" shirts. Ron has two shirts in different weights. The brown lighter weight is perfect in this part of the country. I would recommend buying both the shirt and the hood. These shirts are great for layering with a Pendleton washable wool shirt and a good set of undergarments. Good luck and "Keep'um Sharp".

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
For years I have worn the military surplus wool pants but last fall I bought the Cabela's Super wash wool shirt and pants. They are not suppose to shrink as bad a real wool. So far I like them. They seem to be well constructed. I think they cost about $70 apiece.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
I know not cabela's wool, but wife bought me some woolpower underwear pants, and my god people.  This stuff is awesome.  Was wearing it, my old rush creek bib's and it was 5 degrees with wind chill and I never got cold.  I was walking out and had to unzip the bibs was sweating.  For the money (the same price as another real popular brand) it is far superior.  I think if you matched the top with Ron's wool shirt would be awesome combo.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©