3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone from Vermont?  (Read 528 times)

Offline KellyBender

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone from Vermont?
« on: January 11, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
I live here in CO and my wife and I are considering a move back to VT...maybe around Burlington.  she grew up back there so there is tons of family etc.  Curious if anyone can share what life is like back there...traditional clubs etc...and also some idea of what the economy is like.  I know the economy is "bad" all over but am curious since many times, certain parts aren't as bad as others.  Thanks for any info you can give me.  Feel free to pm if you want.  thx
Greg

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone from Vermont?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
Greg, nice to meet ya.  I'm  from South Burlington.  I havent lived there for a while but still have family and friends there in the Burlington area.  Still a great place to live in the grand scheme of things.  The hunting is pretty bad (being kind).  Fishing is great.  Jobs about average I'd say.  Politicians...terrible. Greg Magnant may chime in for ya about the trad clubs as I think he belongs to one. He's from SB too.  Whats your wifes maiden name? When did she graduate?
I have also lived in Fort Collins and spent quite a bit of time in Loveland.  Vermont weather sucks compared to all the sun in CO.  Winters are dreary and long and summers can be very rainy.  If the front range wasnt so crowded I'd say stay put but dang that place has gone nuts...of course Burlington isnt the same as it was either back in the day.
Either way you cant lose...both great places to call home.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
Been a while since you lived here eh Randy. The weather is not as bad as he makes it out to be. lol

Hunting has gotten much better and if you like to hunt turkeys then this is a great place. Jobs and economy are much better in the Burlington area than the rest of the state but the deer hunting is better as is the turkey hunting elsewhere. There is a trad club in Essex. Vter can give you all the details on that. Plenty of trad folks here especially from Trad Gang.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline KellyBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
Thanks fellas.  Her name is Debbie Anderson.  Her dad owned (him and his brother) Anderson Supply and also the Concrete company in Waterbury.  His name is Bill.  I know about the weather...we are spoiled in CO.  He has been here in CO for the last 7-8 years also.  Here mom has 10 brothers and sisters so there is tons of family there and honestly, finding a place to hunt would be pretty easy as would getting some ideas on places to hunt.    :thumbsup:  

I have been out here since the early 90s and the state has really changed.  I own a business here and would do the same thing there.  The business is fairly liquid here but the proverbial moons would have to line up there for this to work.  I am going to put some feelers out this week.  Still very early in the process but we'll see.

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
I live in Hinesburg.  Just a little South of Burlington.  It is a great place to raise a family.  Very safe.  Lots of good opportunities for kids.  Tough place to make a living.  Taxes are high.  I like the different seasons.  Hunting is okay.  Reasonable opportunities for deer, turkey, grouse, bear.  Moose if you draw.  Nothing exceptional.  There is a good traditional club.  Lots of other good outdoor recreation.  I enjoy living in VT but love traveling out West to hunt!  Contact me if I can help you I will.
Steve

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
So your wife finally broke you down and you've decided to move back to the best spot on earth.      Well, not the Burlington area, but everything else.  :smileystooges:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline KellyBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
thanks.  i have been ,married for about 12 years so I would say I have been "broke down" for the last 11 years, 11 months and about 3-4 weeks.  Not that I'm keeping track of it or anything....    :biglaugh:  

I appreciate the offer to stay at Steve's house.  Hopefully he has a big house cause I have a very big family....including 4 boys under 7 and the youngest are 2 1/2 y rold twins.  

:eek:  

I know about the taxes and as far as hunting, there are a limited number of animals to hunt compared to Colorado but tags are getting more difficult to draw here.  totally different way of life comparing the two.\\

Thx for the link...I will check it out.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
I have to agree with the majority. Ive spent a lot of time in New England and VT is a beautiful state...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
There are a few of us as you can see. Jamie should be here somewhere and his dad Jerry but he never posts. All of the VT tradgangers have to get together sometime for a shoot or just to meet each other. I hope the transition is good for you and the family

Offline 1Cycopath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
All my family are still up there. Bradford and Thetford area. I go back a lot for Thanksgiving, skiing and a week of smallie fishing in May. Would love to move back but my wife would never go for it. Hunting and the job market are better here in southeast PA. I still miss the laid back country life of VT.
I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on.
--------------------
Martin Savannah 62" 55#@28"

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
Kelly,
      Hi,,lived here most my life.and am doing just the oppisite of you. I am moving to co. next year..used to be alot of shoots around the state. but now i know of only one trad shoot in the middle of summer..have quite afew other shoots around though mostly compound shooters though..but trad is increasing in the state..( like dave said,there are alot of us here..have a safe trip and best of luck with your business..
Jamie
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline KellyBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
thanks for all the help/info.  How is the hunting in neighboring states?...NH, NY, Maine..?

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
NY,NH,and maine are alot better hunting in my opinion..bigger deer,more deer,and longer seasons.you'll have the adarondack mountians just to the west of you in NY..
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
If you are looking to get a crack at some bigger deer there getting better here, but Mass. is the best bet around for a bruiser buck, they put quite a few bucks in PY every year and southern zone NY, the northern zone is a gun hunting dominant season that needs to be changed. NH is good also in the conn. river valley. There are some good bucks in the frm land around Burlington though you may have to work to get on private land but it's worth it

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Kelly, you ever worked at a place in Littleton called Chadwick and Associates?

Offline KellyBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
thanks for the insight.  

Randy...no but I worked in Denver for quite a few years.  That name is familiar, though.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
If you want monster bucks try the area around Moosehead lake, wont see mant but they are bruisers...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
:wavey:  Howdy from Wells(30 min south of the Rutland boys over towards NY)

Huntin'-The best thing they ever did was to enact that two point rule.This year I think I seen/heard about more eight pointers shot then any other time in my life.Hopefully they'll get on the ball and up it to three on one side PA style.Also,we have a moose tag lottery now,so you'll have that goin' for ya too.  :archer:  

Life-I have to think back to an expression that was used during the great depression,but with a little change up...Kind of a poke at life in general in our great state-

"Vermont has always been in a recession,the rest of the country is just catchin' up"
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by KellyBender:
thanks for all the help/info.  How is the hunting in neighboring states?...NH, NY, Maine..?
Further south you go in NY the more farmland you'll run into and better numbers.

As for Maine,I've only been up around the Rockwood/Jackman region,the deer density is very sparse,but the deer are MASSIVE.I've only rifle hunted up that way,and IMO bowhunting there is extremely difficult.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Hey guys,
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement