3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Zipper Aluminum Riser ?(I need your input)  (Read 1005 times)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Zipper Aluminum Riser ?(I need your input)
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
OK, here is the scoop.Im thinking of building and all aluminum riser.Here is where the gang comes in.Which riser SXT,EXTREME,STANDARD?Shoot off the shelf or elevated rest?Maybe cut and drilled for an elevated rest, or you can build it up to shoot off the shelf.Drilled for sights or not.ILF or no ILF? Set grip,or interchangable grips?Or just scrap the hole idea.There are alot of choices here, and some I have not mentioned.SO, I thought I would seek the advice of my friends at Trad Gang.This is an oppertunity to esentialy design the handle of our next take down bow.Thanks for your help.
Bill

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Zipper Aluminum Riser ?(I need your input)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
I think you should build them like your standard riser since it's the most "forward" of the three with standard limb bolts like you use now and then you could offer them for sale to other bowyers to use with limbs of there own design! If it was me, I would make it a simple shoot off the shelf design. Good luck with your new venture, it will be interesting!

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
Im all for it, since i like metal riser bows.  :thumbsup:  
Drilled out for plunger rest, and sights/quiver, ect. would cater to more shooting styles in my opinion.
I also like the interchangable grips, but thats just me.
Steve.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Bill, whichever you choose, try to make it as affordable as you can.  I've shot metal riser bows thirty-five years ago, and one of the best was the Grable design.  If you could take a look at some of the older designs, you may see something you like.  

I would particularly like to see one that was relatively plain with a slightly forward pivot area, like the old Grables/Shakespeare QT, or Carroll's.  And, short enough to get a bow in the 56 to 58 inch area as well as up to about 60 or 62, depending on the limb length.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
I'm not much for the metal risers and ILF limbs and all that, however from a business standpoint it's like Jason said, if you build them to accept other limbs and with inserts for sights and plungers you're going to cater to a wider market and you can sell your risers to other bowyers as well as your customers.  I still think your elk antler riser is one of the prettiest bows I have ever seen.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
This is exactly what I was looking for!I knew I would get some answers here.I was thinking of first going with a simple shoot off the shelf set grip riser to see what guys thought.This would also help to keep the price down, as I will have to outsource the CNC work.Then if folks want it.Build something with a bit more bells and whistles.Im still in the planning stages right now,but I have a CNC guy who is interested.But which riser?I was also considering a riser with SXT dimensions but a more forward handle.Sorta like a 14" STANDARD risr. Keep the advice comeing.
Bill

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
It would be nice to have a riser you could attach bowfishing gear to. Then you could swap limbs off for bowfishing and put them back on your other risers for hunting. I like the Quinn Stallion riser, might be something to look at. As far as your current riser, the Standard is still my favorite, but I need to see the SXT to compare. Again, you need a price breaker to make it take -off, IMHO.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
No reason you couldn't build a riser for off the shelf, as well as off the shelf with plunger or elevated rest...risers in the past have done it and there are some that do it now...although that would be an additional feature maybe...doing the grip so it takes Hoyts would be most economical for all and give loads of choices.

Is it going to be ILF...your bows are exceptional, as well as limb performance, etc...I've owned my share, but there may be catch that comes along with aluminum that you can use a wide array of ILF limbs...IMO, a bow that could accept yours, as well as have a kit to be able to mount ILF pockets, would be more versatile than anything going.

My nickels worth as I sit here working...

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
My choice would be Short 14" riser as "Forward" as you can with the ILF option and a choice of grip heights. You could have options to have plunger hole, stabilizer hole, etc.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
love metal risers. i woud hav eto say a 14" forward riser also! shooting off the shelf would be great with the option of a berger hole. keep us updated.

Offline nchunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
If you build an aluminum riser that accepts ILF limbs, then you're selling into a market that's already well-served by Samick, Win & Win, Hoyt, etcetera. I don't see how you compete with them by offering a me-too product. There are already plenty of aluminum risers out there!  Just check out the Lancaster Archery Supply catalog.

IMO, your big challenge is to design a riser that appeals to someone who publicly disavows the current high-tech looking, Olympic/ILF equipment (probably most trad archers), but would secretly love to have the performance advantage the Olympic/ILF archers enjoy.  Perhaps a riser with an aluminum skeleton and a bocote/cobobolo/pick-your-pretty-wood skin?  

Even a thin sheet of steel burried inside the middle of the riser wood lay-up would really stiffen up the riser.  If it was 0.030" thick and stainless so it wouldn't rust, you'd never even notice it was there.  Seems like that would be a simpler/cheaper way to go than CNC machining an aluminum structure. (Of course you'd have to pickle the steel before layup to get good adhesion to the wood.)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Bill,  here's two photos of two of my old favorites; a herter's and a Phil Grable Shakespeare QT.   They can be made for off the shelf or elevated rests/buttons, etc.   On both the arrow shelf is fairly close to the hand for off the shelf or elevated possibilities.  

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Thanks folks!I realy do appreciate all the info.Thanks for the pictures George.Anyone else have any input.
Bill

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I LOVE THE 14 inch ILF, I'll be holding off on another Titan if that is in the works!

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Bill

I want one in the standard riser with a titanium arrow inlay with gold trimmings(LOL)

In a serious note, I think that would be a great idea. I'm a fan of your standard riser.

Great eating dinner with you and Tracy in Indianapolis. I had a great time! Be careful with those new toys from the ata show.......their sharp(LOL)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
Bill - will it be cnc or cast riser.

I shoot metal riser most of the time.  Bob Gordon (Warf riser) makes an ilf riser out of old Black Bear compound risers, Hoyt Sepctra riser and several others.  these of course are 20.5" risers.  He has sorked it out so you can shoot it off the shelf or from a elevated rest.  the advantage of the ifl system on the Warf risers is that the archer can control the tiller.  as I am a stringwalking bowhunter i can fine tune the tiller for the tradtional bowhunting range and get the most out of the bow.

before I found the Warf risers I was shooting the Sky Supreme hunter.  It was a cast riser that was a copy of the Hoyt Sprectra compound riser.  it had proprietary limb attachment system.

I think the best of the best is a like the DAS.  the limbs come from the ilf world but David Sousa improved the attachment system by relaceing the limb ilf fixture.

I have got an old Hoyt Pro Medalist T/D  16" riser that makes a 58" bow.  such a dandy bow.  44# on my fingers.  will flat shot an arrow where you are looking (still with no carbon, no nano tech).  :)

http://sites.google.com/site/stringwalkerbowhunter/hoyttd

rusty

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
This riser will be cnc from a solid piece of high quality aluminum. The same aluminum as a compound riser is made of (6061? 6120?) I do not recall the number fo it right now.It is looking like I may need to offer 2 risers a 14" and a 16".The same as we offer now as our wood risers.It seems that most would prefer a riser based on my standard riser with interchangable grips.A riser that can be shot off of the shelf with a burger button or elevated rest,as the basic riser.Also have options to drill for sights, stabalizers,and ILF or modified ILF attachment systems.I have options for dipping the risers, black, camo, there are even some simulated wood grain patterns, and others.
Any thoughts welcome!
Bill

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
I am a real fan of sight attachment holes, stab boss and plunger holes. My favorite rest is the springy rest.  I hunt with it most of the time.  

The thing I miss most about the wooden risers today is the lack of a stabilizer boss.  nothing makes ANY bow smoother than a doniker stablizer.  if ya have a bum bow shoulder the doniker is the best friend ya got as it soaks up a lot of the bow movement.

this is a kit I use for hunting Texas pigs at night (legal in Texas).  Hwaglite is great assset and the SRF sights makes picking up the target in low light much quicker.  It also help ya make sure your bow is veritcle in the dark.  

http://sites.google.com/site/stringwalkerbowhunter/nxxpert-manes  

I am for as much adaptibily as I can get out of a riser.     :)  

keep us posted.  I'll buy a 14" from ya.

rusty

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Bill,any bow you would make would be awesome, you are a craftsmen and artist. I would think the ext riser would be the best IMHO, able to shoot off the shelf or elevated rest and drilled for stabilizer and quiver bushing. can't wait to see it.   Chris

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
I would consider a 14" and 16" as you sugested.  I would also like to see a a forward riser SXT size wood riser!
Brant
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©