3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Zipper Aluminum Riser ?(I need your input)  (Read 1003 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Zipper Aluminum Riser ?(I need your input)
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
I would like one similar to the Quinn and cast, to keep expenses down.  You get into CNC you get into bows the average person will not buy....too expensive.  At least have alternatives for those of us who aren't blessed with a lot of liquid assets.  You can buy two Quinn bows for one Tradtech or DAS. Did I mention, keep them affordable to the masses.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Boy, I don't know if I like this idea...

Ever since I started shooting a bow, I would see a Zipper and marvel at the beauty.  I'd hate to see one of the most beautiful pieces of natural art we have replaced by a cold, ugly piece of metal   :confused:  .

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Bill

I'd be open to it.  For me a std riser that could be shot off the shelf.  I'm not into ILF stuff so std limb attachment would work for me.

Camo dipped or Green anodize for hunting.

Maybe some threaded holes for quiver attachment.

Good Luck!!!!
Otto

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Steve, Thanks for bringing this up.I should have made this clear in the beginning.I would sooner cut off my right arm than do away with the wood riser Zipper.I LOVE WOOD!!I LOVE BUILDING BEAUTIFUL BOWS!!This will be an addition to the line,Not a replacement of.
No worries George.This was origionaly a way to get a less expensive hi performance bow into the hands of the guy or gal that would otherwise never be introduced to Zipper Bows. I have found a company that can dip these aluminum risers in wood grain patterns, even a burl dip.So they can still be a pretty bow.
Bill

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
I would really like a camo one for hunting
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
I have two Black Swan bows and I perfer the metal riser. I find the throat to be narrower which I really like. I would really like to see a metal riser with some type of wood finish, just because wood is so much easier on the eyes.

I think a metal riser is a good idea, and you can bet I'll be keeping an eye out for a release date if you decide to go this route.

Have you given any thought to what will be offered as far as a high, medium or low wrist ?
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Peak 98 IF we go with the interchagable grip,the answer would be yes high,med,and low wrist.I have a contact for the grips,but I do not have any of that worked out for sure yet.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
If you are bringing it out anyway, might as well have the holes for a plunger, stab., sights drilled in it. It may turn out that not many use them but it would be a shame to loose a sale to another bow which did. Just because they are on the bows doesn't mean you HAVE to use them.

I think it would be a big mistake to make a metal riser that is not ILF compatable. With the wide variety of limbs available now from the entry level $99.00 limbs up to the carbon foam I think the bow would have to accept ILF limbs in order to be competitive.

That was an interesting thought posted above.  If possible allow it to accept ILF limbs but with the addition of a plate or other attachment, allow the use of your current wood limbs.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Bill

I love your standard riser Bill.  Only suggestion I'd make is to radius the shelf just a bit more, for those who like to shoot off the shelf.  Dave Sosa did a great job of this with the DAS.

I am greatful that we have top-shelf bowyers willing to bring quality and affordable new products!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Bill,

I can't really add anything to this discussion as I've never shot an aluminum type riser nor have I messed with plungers and stuff like that.  

Having said all that I love seeing you post here at Trad Gang.  With the new SXT riser, the foam limb cores, and now this I think you are doing a great job of staying on the cutting edge.  Trying new things is how you develop something really great.  

Keep up the good work,

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Thanks Chris,we are trying to keep moveing forward, and in the right direction with things.I have several other ideas,but it all takes time.By the way I have been playing with some carbon backed limbs.They are pretty sweet.Just something more to play with.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm with George, some of the older risers were really nice, particularly the old Carrol risers.Short to make down to a 56" bow . Camo dipped by Sispey with your Antique looking Maple limbs would be an attractive looking rig . I'll take one !
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
I wish the old bear magnesium take downs could take ILF limbs. A and B riser lengths.

Off the shelf and elevated rests would be a plus.

Hoyt grip(s) compatable.

Wood grain insets to pretty up the riser cut outs.

The APA wheelie bows have a carbide sharpener and broadhead wrench built in, which has not been done on a trad bow yet to my knowledge.

It wont hurt for stabilizer, sight and side mount bow quiver threaded mounting holes.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
while it certinaly enjoy the warmth and beauty of wood, the functionality of a bow is most important thing to me.

I don't find all metal handle bows ugly at all.  I find this one quite handsone infact.  all the functionality you could every want is there.  shotting off the shelf, elevated rest. bottom heavey riser for proper balanace.  enough sight window for sights.  adjustable tiller for stringwalkers and three under shooters/

http://sites.google.com/site/stringwalkerbowhunter/Home/bluedog  

btw that is a one of a kind bow.  not another blue one in existance  :)
rusty

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Interchangeable grips is a must. Do the sight window so it can be shot off the shelf but also have it drilled and tapped for AMO sights, plungers and stabilizer bushings. The stabilizer bushing has many uses, bowfishing rigs being one of them. Some of the old metal risers actually had tapped holes in the sight window so the archer could screw in a threaded sight pin. If you really want bells and whistles you could make a moveable/adjustable side plate so one could change the amount of centershot. I've shot metal risers for 40 years or more and these are things that I would incorporate into one if I was to make one. Get an old Bear Magnesium riser and check out all the features he built into the riser. They had everything you could want as I recall.
The best things in life....aren't things!

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
This is great!  I'd recommend making it ILF compatible, so your limbs, Morrison's, DAS', TradTech, Hoyt's, etc, etc. would be interchangeable.

Offline Intuit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
I have been shooting the Dorado riser for over a year now, can't get the same degree of accuracy with bows off the shelf as I can with flipper rest and Berger button. I do like the idea of two heights for the berger button for off the shelf or elevated rest.

I see that your standard risers are either nuetral or reflexed, I would like to see a slightly reflexed riser done in metal, but that may limit your market. Reflex is definetely more sensitive to shoot well but will definetly be quicker.

I have built my own wood risers for ILF limbs but use the Dorado (GM) style attachment for the limbs. I have also converted a Hoyt Defiant riser using a 10/32 allen cap screw turned to the correct diameter to fit the Dorado/GM limb bushing. Simply tap a 10/32 in the limb mounting pocket for the limb locator and tighten. In place of the standard 5/16-18 tapered allen bolt I substituted a 5/16-18 X 3/8 machinist shoulder bolt allowing me to use the standard riser dowel and accomodate the 3/8" size of ILF limbs. Much simpler than dealing with the dovetail fitting.

If you were to use the above mentioned system and match the limb attachment angle needed for ILF limbs and aviod the center-to-center point for your own limbs you could have have the best of both worlds. Simply offer the limb locator pin as an accessory.

If this sparks some interest in you, PM me.
Senior member & Measurer P&Y Club
NRA Life Member
Past Bowhunter Safety Instructor

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
oooh, everybody has thier on ideas of best riser but i'd have to pass on a reflexed riser.  hitting the exact spot I am aiming at trumps a couple of extra fps for me anyday.  deflex in a riser is the bowhunters best friend IMO

rusty

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Lots of good input here. Here's mine for what it's worth. There are plenty of ILF options out there. Morrison, Tratech, TAC, DAS, Hoyt etc. If you can't find what you want amoung them your aren't looking hard enough. Also, if you go the ILF route you are almost totally removing yourself from the building process. You will be outsourcing the riser and the limbs? Is it really a Zipper then?
Don't get me wrong. I love the current crop of ILF bows. I've owned a DAS and currently shoot a TAC Firefly. I also have a Warf and a Quinn and have owned a Gamemaster and several other Warfs.
If you go that route you will be in good company as they are all excellent bows.
Personally, I think you should develop a deflexed riser that accepts your own limbs. Design the riser so that it is forgiving and comfortable to shoot. Different grip options are a must. (designing the riser so that it could be shot with no grip, just a simple wrap would also be nice.) Design your limbs to fit the riser. Come up with the proper balance of speed and forgiveness as well as shootability and you will have a real winner.
Design it so that the bare bones bow will compete with the Quinn for price and performance. Have options available to allow some customization. Fancy veneers, dips, fancy grips, wood/glass limbs, carbon/foam limbs. All options that can be added by the customer based on his desires and wallet. AMO sight holes, stabilizer bushings and plunger bushing holes should all be  included in the standard riser.Just make sure the shelf is contoured for shooting off the shelf.
You could build some adjustability into the limbs if you wanted to to allow folks to have a bit of weight and tiller adjustment but I don't think is an essential option.

Make it a metal riser Zipper, not a generic plug and play. Just make it affordable.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
I suggest predrilling for whatever accessories someone may want to use.  Stabilizer tap, plunger, and sight pins/bow quiver taps.  An aluminum riser will not appeal to many hardcore traditionalists so don't design the handle to appease that crowd who isn't going to buy anyway... design it for the guys that are receptive.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©