3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help pick me a broadhead  (Read 225 times)

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
help pick me a broadhead
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
right now i am shooting the 160 gr landsharks out of a custom longbow +/-55@28.  the arrows are golt tip 55/75, 31.5" to bop without nock, and 577 grains w/ 175 grain point.  i hunt deer/hogs.  is there a better head for my set up?  the only reason i ask is because i shot a good size hog a week ago at close range and made a beautiful shot with very little penetration.  i may have gotten too tight in the shoulder and hit shoulder, but dont know for sure.  i like the wide 2 blade heads, but just curious to know if there are any that may outdo the sharks.  i also have some ww's that i put a glue in insert in and they are in the 170 gr. range.  i just dont like the size of them, i like a wider head.  what you think?

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help pick me a broadhead
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
General convention says, 3:1 ratio gives best penetration, but just because you saw poor penetration on that hog, doesn't mean that you need to switch broadheads. A lot of factors come to play in penetration. Shot placement being paramount. Have you used these heads on other game? happy with their performance?

2 wider heavy heads come to mind if that's your poison...Silver flames and the one that Alaska Bowhunting sells. can't think of the name right now. You could always switch to Magnus I's. OR use Grizzlies, Ribteks etc. lots of choices for either camp.
ARCHER

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
wow brave man for bringing this up,  i shoot stos with inserts they weigh 175 i use the 140s with alum adapter.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
not really disappointed in them so far.  i have killed 2 deer and 2 hogs so far--but dont want to short myself either.  im not as familiar to al this as most.  i know there are some that have a lot more time in this game over me, so that is why i asked.  just curious mainly.

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Simmon is a great head.  All I shoot.  But if you really want to get some good advice on the 160 land sharks, contact Slayer1,RC, and James Wrenn.  They will set you streight.  They have killed a bunch of deer and hogs with the sharks!

Doug
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
i have been thinking of going to the 190 to give it a try

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
The big 190s fly well for me.  I shoot them out of a 55lbs. Harrelson T/D recurve, 250 Carbon Express Herritage arrows.  Lynn Harrelson himself introduced me to the heads some time ago when I bought my bow from him.  You can't buy the vented Interseptors for right now because the company is going through transition but you can get the original non-vented 190s.  I bought a couple op packs.  The key is to make sure you can get them sharp!  Landshark 160 has a great tutorial on this cite that you may want to look at.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
I think Eastern Archer nailed it. 'Penetration is a function of shot placement'. On hogs a narrower head is generally a better choice for those marginal hits.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
300xtreem is what you need the King of penetration.
hunt it

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Fountain- I agree with what has been said.  the simmmons head are great, like alot of tried and true old heads.  I think it would be great on hog's.  I personally never shot a hog with one but had seen the damage.  I have harvested 3 hog's with the grizzly and looked like someone took a paintbrush and marked saplings to where the hog died.  Though it wouldn't have matters without good shot placement.  Just remember a Hog is a tough critter and has been known to live up to a week on one lung.

Offline Stephen S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
I really have had my best success with the eclipse 145 gr with 75gr steel adapter. By the way does anyone have experience with the Abowyer heads?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©