3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opening day Missouri buck  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opening day Missouri buck
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
NICE!
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Yep..  Saw the actual photo earlier in the season at Rogers Sporting Goods in Liberty.  How about a story?
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
You probably don't want that big ole ugly thing hanging in your house, so you can just have your taxidermist send it here and I'll look after it for ya.   :biglaugh:

That's a BIG BOY!!!
Great job!!!
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline Stan the bow man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
WOW WHAT A BUCK
CONGS.

:thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Blackwidow PSAX 45@28 64” Black & White Ebony
 Blackwidow  PLX TD 64” 48@28” Black & White Ebony
  Massie 64"48@28 Longhorn Longbow      
Roland Jenkins recurve 50 @ 28”
Bear Polar LB 45 @ 28”
Bear Grizzly 55 @28
2 Osage self bows

BY THE GRACE OF GOD

Offline Chad Duit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
Awesome buck, congrats!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Super buck!!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Great job Doris, that is a fine eample of a MO buck. Great shot Let's hear the storyplease.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Hot Damn!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
anyone notice the size of the hooves on that deer? They look like he's wearing snowshoes!!!!

Crikey!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mary A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 02:12:00 AM »
What can I say...Amazing! I can't imagine how it would feel to get a buck like that.
60" Morrison ILF Longbow 40# @ 28"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
WOW!! Doris, Congratulations!!  He's really something.   :eek:    How's it going in MO?  We miss you back here in IL.    :wavey:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
Super buck indeed! Congrats to you.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Ray, I noticed the feet too! My thought was "looks like the feet of a Clydsedale"!
Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
Bona , I was thinking the same thing about that buck and was just about to post it...Maybe we should convince her to name it the "CLYDESDALE BUCK" Not to mention he is about the size of a clydesdale...Great job there on a nice buck...Keefers <")))><

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Nice 1!  :notworthy:   Congratulations!  :clapper:
Steve.

Offline bowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Opening day of bow season came too soon.  My daughter was expecting our second grandchild any day so I knew I would be out of town and unable to hunt much of the early season.  Due to heavy rains the week prior to opening day, 2 of the 3 farms I had stands on would not be huntable due to high water.  The farm I could hunt had 2 stands, but because of an opening day cool front, the wind was totally wrong for the west stand and not ideal for the east stand.  If the deer would come from where I believed they would, they should present a shot before they got downwind.

The first evening, about 2 1/2 hours before sunset, I made my way through the standing corn to my stand in a small patch of timber that deer tend to bed in during the early season.  We had seen a respectable 9-point feeding in a bean field across the road and watched him return to the patch of timber and actually had trail cam pictures of him.  The deer hadn’t been disturbed all summer so I figured the chance of seeing deer that night was good.

About 45 minutes before dark, I noticed a deer 30 yards west of me in the timber browsing on leaves.  The deer was feeding about 15 yards from where this stand had been the last 2 years, just my luck.  When I first saw the deer, you could tell it was a buck, but he didn’t look that impressive.  My first thought was that he was kind of odd looking, but if he continues to feed my way, I would take the shot.

As he continued my way, I saw he was going to pass my stand at about 12 yards, but there was a problem.  A limb in the way was going to force me to let him pass broadside and take a sharp quartering away shot after he passed.  By the time the deer presented a shot, he was almost directly downwind.  At the shot, the deer exploded down through the timber and almost immediately disappeared from sight.  I could see from the arrow placement, the deer had been struck in the ribs at a sharp quartering away angle, missing one lung, but probably passing through the liver and one lung.  I called my husband on my 2-way radio to let him know I would need some help tracking a deer.  He told me to stay in the stand and he would head my way.

75 yards east of my stand is a dirt farm road.  I knew my husband would check to see if the deer had crossed the road as he came to my stand.  He call me after about 20 minutes to tell me my buck had crossed the road, but not to worry.  He could tell the deer was hit hard as he was bleeding out both sides and the exit side was bleeding heavily.  My husband met me in the standing corn as I was making my way to the road.

After looking at the blood trail in the road and the amount of blood sprayed on the leaves where he jumped the fence onto the neighbor’s farm, a decision was made to leave the deer until morning.  We knew the hit was fatal, but we were also sure I had only hit one lung.  We knew if we tracked the buck and jumped him up, he would surely go into a 600 acre standing corn field or a 400 acre CRP field and the odds of recovering him would not be good.  It was going to be a long night,

At daylight the next morning, we were at the fence ready to start tracking.  We had contacted the neighbor the night before and secured permission to track the deer onto his farm.  The deer wasn’t hard to track due to the amount of blood and the tracks in the soft ground.  The deer was headed onto some bottom ground that had been flooded only 2 days before opening day.  We had went about 75 yards when my husband noticed the tracks turning south and going down into a deep slough feeding the main creek channel.  My husband motioned for me to ease up and look over the edge of the bank.  There laid my buck.  He had tried to cross the slough, but only made it part way up the opposite bank before dying and sliding back down.  My husbands only comment as he saw me jumping up and down was, “I hope he’s dead.”

I am sure many of you have wondered why I didn’t send in a picture of my deer in the field.  Due to the flooding, the deer was extremely muddy by the time we got him onto higher ground.  We didn’t think they showed the respect for the animal that he deserved.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Great story! Thanks for sharing.  :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
Great story and a great deer. Congrats...  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
What an animal.  Cool.     :clapper:

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Incredible buck!!!! Thanks for sharing the picture and the story!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©