3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A call to Howard Hill Longbow Owners  (Read 2497 times)

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
A call to Howard Hill Longbow Owners
« on: March 10, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
I 'm requesting some feed back on Howard Hill Longbows. I 've got  (and had) recurves, a self-bow, a R/D longbows and a hybrid longbows.

I'm considering ordering a 64", 55 lbs. @28 "Big Five Wesly Special". Will there be much hand shock with this type H.H bow?
What kind of arrow speed would I expect with a 500 to 550 grain arrow. How forgiving  would it be compared to some the above bows I've mentioned.
I would appreciate your comments!
Thanks
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A call to Howard Hill Longbow Owners
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
Craig Akin makes the finest example of the Classic American longbow, the Wesly may well his best, PERIOD. Hand shock? not if you learn to shoot it correctly. Which means your bow hand placed to the outside of the bow handle. Invisin the proximal knuckle of your thumb rolled towards the center of the handle.
As to speed, Craig claims to get 115 fps plus the poundage weight in arrow speed, which in your case is 170 fps. My experience has shown this to be a bit ambitious. Truth be told speed doesn't kill, momentum and shot placement do. However if you are looking for a fps screamer you'll be disappointed.

John
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
I will second what John said...  HH is all I shoot/ own after I have shot/ owned most of the others. Craig makes a fine bow.
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
You either Love them or hate them.I love them and find no hand shock.I have a few,but like them 68" for my 29" draw.Most comments I get are how smooth the bow is to draw concidering the weight.Check out this site.
 http://www.howardhillshooters.com/
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
You did not say what kind of draw length you have but if it is 28" or longer a longer bow would be better.A 68" or 70" would better suit a 28"+ draw.Speed would be dependant on your draw length and how good of a release you have.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
I have two big fives both are 66" 48# @28" my draw length is 26.5. Both are very smooth and like stated if they are held properly there is no hand shock
 If your hand is small i would make sure that you tell Craig not to make the grip too large i have heard that the Wesley's have a bigger grip than the big five and the ones i have are all the grip i want i have relatively small hands. Just a heads up they are great bows mine seem quick and it is feather light, smooth and the quality is high.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks for your responses. I draw 28". (My Wes Wallace longbow is 66" and 56lbs @ 28".
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
If you are shoot a 66" Wallace now you certainly need to go longer on the Hill or you will not enjoy shooting it.Don't expect to get the same performance from the Hill as you do the Wallace and you won't be as disapointed. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
I'll second what James says go 68- 70", 550+ on arras.

Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Craig at HH will tell you what Bow length will get the best performance at your draw length....
    A 500 - 550 weight arrow will be fine.
Hill bows like heavy arrows....
    As mentioned above, grip it right and use a heavy arrow and you'll love the HH bow....
    I think they are the best for Hunting moving game....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
3under:
I've shot Hills for over 30 years, they are a great bow. However I too would suggest a longer bow nothing under 66". I disagree with the speed someone mentioned. I have bows in the mid-60# range and with 650grs arrows have never gotten more the 165 fps, but you don't need more than that. I've shot completely through Water Buck and Gemsbok. The are as big or bigger than any Elk. The Key is keeping your arrow weight up, 10 grains per pound is minimum. And if your screen name means you shoot three under, tell Craig so he can tiller it correctly.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
Hey Bob is Craig your neighbor?
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
I love the thought of a Hill bow but I tried one Big 5 and handshock was an issue. Now don't get mad at me because I am sure I wasn't holding it right and it wasn't tuned properly. 70lb draw with a 630grn arrow hurt bad.It felt like catching a line drive baseball without a glove. My palm was red after about 10 shots. I would love to try one properly set up with some help on form. I am not trying to bash a bow MANY people love, just saying it might be wise to try one with some help from the owner before spending your money. Good luck.

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
I believe Howard Hill, for his own longbows, recommended 68" AMO for a 28" draw & he said only go down to a 66" AMO for a 26" draw. My sources are books written by Hill and John Schulz. The trend for short Hill longbows came long after Mr. Hill.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Thanks Trad Gangers,I really appreciate your helpful comments. I'm not looking for blistering speed, since I've got a Morrison recurve @60lbs plus a Thunderhorn for a Hybrid, but would like a good shooting Hill type bow!
Thanks again!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
MAC:
Yes, they live about 2 miles from me.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
If you are having problems with hand shock give Craig a call and try a fast flight string. I would say that mine went from minimal vibration to completely dead in your hand. Without increasing bow noise

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
I am going to shoot the technohunt with a Howard Hill I just bought from Bob & will let you know about velosity as the technohunt chronographs each arrow. I have only shot about 30 arrows through mine, & haven't found any handshock. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
Hill bows are lighter and livelier in the hand than many other 'longbows' ...and some folks (me included) kinda' like that 'thump' feel.  Each person is different but in most cases those who feel 'handshock' simply aren't holding the bow properly.  Thats not a slam on those who feel handshock, its just a bit of advice for getting the bow to shoot comfortably.  When it comes to having a good or bad experience with Hill longbows the truth is the same as with any good bow... it's not the bow as much as it is the shooter.  

I'll second the suggestion for a 68" bow rather than 66" for a true 28" draw, but from what I've seen a 28" draw is unusual with Hills because the shooter needs to use more of a side-of-handle grip and more of a bent elbow.  Your draw, if 28" with most trad bows and especially with recurves, will likely shrink a little with a Hill longbow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©