3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Prices/Reasonably Priced Bows...  (Read 1846 times)

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Prices/Reasonably Priced Bows...
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Was looking at ordering a new recurve by a well known company, until I saw they raised the price for 09' on the order of $100!.

They weren't exactly reasonably priced before, but this puts them in the realm of ridiculous, particularly in a recession with a tanked economy.  Really tough to justify nigh onto $900 for essentially a production recurve right now for most anyone...

Rather than raise prices, it seems to me that the American/Canadian bow companies would be smarter to come out with less expensive production type hunting bows, similar to the bows made by Samick.

Your thoughts?...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Prices/Reasonably Priced Bows...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
I've not raised my prices.  Take a look,  www.tradstore.com/mta
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Mike has some of the best priced bows out there. Chad at Holm-Made is another reasonably priced bowyer. You just need to look around some to find the bargains.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Stick_N_String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Lots of great used bows on the classified's.
I bought a check-mate Hunter, off the classified's, just before Christmas. Mainly because I didn't want to wait 4-6 months for my bow, it was also very close to what I was going to order.
Daren
"Measurement of life should be proportioned rather to the intensity of the experience than to it's actual length"~Thomas Hardy

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
It's simple economics.  If the price is not what you want to pay.  Don't buy the product.  The only way you level the price inflation is to not buy products that are not worth the price.

I found it ironic last year at a shoot, a customer had our recurve and two from well know companys out shooting.  When he came back, he said yours shoots better then either of these.  How come yours is $300 less?  I told him he should talk to the other companies and ask How come theirs is more.

We are trying to hold our prices this year as close as we can.  It's real hard when all the suppliers are raising prices on everything.

We still believe in selling a high performance bow that looks good at an affordable price.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
Way to go Mike!! Your bows are tops!

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
I'll second Chad Holm at Holm-Made.  Makes an awesome bow for the $$$.  Just got one from him  a couple of weeks ago.  Very happy camper here.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Im stil a good buy

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Check out St. Joe River bows. Not the cheapest, but still reasonable. There a lot of great bows out there, but IMO you will not find one that will out shoot a St. Joe!
I did some checking on bow prices, the other day and it is getting a little crazy! I saw one bowyer who is asking $1100 for just the limbs!!!

chris <><

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
There are many great custom bows available for less than that amount. Many of them are built by members/sponsors here. I just don't see spending that kind of money on a production bow when I can get one made to my specs for half or two thirds of that. I also like to support our individual (or partner like Mike and Jason) bowyers. Granted some of my bows are second (third, fourth...) hand, but the only production bow I have left is my old Black Bear, which by the way will stay right here.

I don't own a Dryad (yet), but I love to visit their website and dream. Mike and Jason make some awesome bows as do many of the others who visit here regularly: Chad, Maddog, Jason Kendall, and many others. Many are well under that $900 figure and look and perform exceptionally well.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Prices will level-off or people will eventually go out of business.  We have created the monster by giving a sort of royal status to certain brands over the past few years.  That made others think they could ask huge amounts for their bows as well.  Then Martin sees it is lagging behind by keeping their bows affordable and raise the price on them to custom standards.

Unemployment right now is 7% but that is only those who are listed on National scale...those actively seeking jobs and on those roles.  The real figure is closer to 10%.  It's going to get even worse.  Those of you making great money better keep you senses sharp and mind those finances.  This recession is not nearly over and no one is exempt from rough times.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
I don't mean to say anything negative but it is part of our fault.

We criticize wheelie bow shooters about having to spend a grand on a new bow every 3 years to stay up with the competition. But we don't do much different. People here spend tons on custom bows, shoot them for a few months and sell them.

Just like the wheelie bow guys we have to have the newest fastest this or that. Or the prettiest.

Just like broad heads that are 75 dollars. For many people it's a peacock kind of deal and the more it costs the happier they are to show off.

Rather than go for the supposed "simple bow" they have a 1200 dollar bow and a $100 dollar arrow. It all gets away from traditional archery if you ask me.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Check out Assenheimer and Marriah. The Hoyt Gamemaster and Dorado are also excellent bows that are reasonably priced.
BD

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
MIKE TREADWAY MAKES A FINE BOW AT WORKING MAN'S PRICES. MY VOTE FOR THE BEST BUY AROUND.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
If I was a bowyer and I was selling every bow I could make, then if I raise the price, I'm STILL selling every bow I could make???...then I made a good business decision.

Don't fault a man for making a sound business decision.

Bowyers have families to feed and like to have a new truck now and then just like the rest of us.
Otto

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I think George is right, we more or less bring this on ourselves.

When I was shooting compounds there came a point that I decided I would never spend more than $450 on a new bow and stuck with it.

Of course, the rest of the archery world continued to have no qualms about spending a grand on a Matthews or Hoyt.

So much for my individual stand & boycott...  :biglaugh:
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
I hear you brother. I ordered a custom bow in June and looked at the  prices again a few months ago and they have gone up over a hundred bucks. Does anyone know how long it takes a good boyer to make 1 bow? I realize that you get what you pay for and am not complaining, just curious!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
Hey Brandon
Holy cow, 1200 on heating costs, you need to move somewhere warmer.lol
I can't afford one, but your bows are worth what you charge.
             Kurt

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
There is no low end from bowyers like Brandon and other small custom bowyers who want to put out the best.  I hope they stay in business with that mindset, because there are more folks who can't afford those beautiful bows than those that can.  

Large companies, like Martin, can afford to make some lower line bows.  They did it decades ago and they can do it now.  When you cater to only a part of society, you are bound to them for your livelihood.  Poor folks like to have decent bows to shoot as well, so they will defer to the companies that can provide the product, or go to the classifieds and auctions.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©