3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Prices/Reasonably Priced Bows...  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Prices/Reasonably Priced Bows...
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Hey Brandon, You left out all the dust and fumes you get to deal with, that's worth something, ha.

Not many millionaire bowyers out there.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Prices on everything are going up: labor, materials, power, etc.  It just costs more to live now than it used to.  Custom bowyers do charge (most of them) a relatively high price for their goods, but they make a relatively small amount of them, so they have to make their margin on every one they sell.  Look at the prices on production Martins and Bears now; would you pay that kind of money for those bows?  I'd rather pay a bit more and get what I want.  But that's the bottom line: we are willing to pay what bowyers are asking, and prices won't come down as long as we continue to buy.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
Brandon, you are right on.Most bowyers build bows because they love archery and building bows.Just my .02 worth!! Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Somehow I got the impression from the first post that he is not talking about "custom bowyers" but a mass production maker.I've been wrong before though.  :saywhat:
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
double post...oops.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Actually Brandon makes a real nice bow for $499. The Tomcat is a definite shooter with a good tag and a take-down to boot.

We need good quality lower priced bows for folks starting out. Most aren't going to drop big bills at the beginning. I don't begrudge a single bowyer of any dollar he earns, because they sure as heck earn it. It is good to have an understanding that low cost bows help build the sport and a business too.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Buy what you can afford.Want a high dollar bow?Buy used.Or get a blank and finish it yourself,thus saving money.Pretty simple.I don't like high priced anything but but quality does come at a price.I've got my custom bow company choices narrowed down to two.250-450 range is my limit for a bow.And both bowyers have been mentioned in this thread.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
My bows are reasonably priced because they have to be for me to compete as a relative newcomer.  Some day I will have to raise my prices because I'm not seeing much of a profit and I guess that is the end result I'm looking for.

There is a lot of hidden expenses involved in running a small business.  Why do you think you have to pay an electrician, plummer, auto mechanic, etc.  60.00 plus an hour for them to make an average living?  How many of them are rich?  Running my bow shop has more hidden expenses then many of the other lines of work mentioned.  11% Federal excise tax and liability insurance is huge for us and it is something other lines of work do not have to do.  How many full time bowyers do you know?  If they are full time you can bet most of them have spouses that work and carry the insurance.  This year I found out I have to sell 25 bows a year to break even.  After that I start seeing some profit.  Not complaining.  I'm having fun but it does tickle me to see people complain about bowyers making 10.00 per hour then don't bat an eye at paying the plummer 60.00 per hour. (not a knock on plummers by the way, they have a "crappy" job.)
To answer a previous question, I have about 12 hours into a bow, not counting phone time or other time related to the business end of things.  Take care,  Chad

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Holm-Made:
My bows are reasonably priced because they have to be for me to compete as a relative newcomer.  Some day I will have to raise my prices  
Please don't raise until I decide on my order.  :D    :D    :biglaugh:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Hey Rich come over to Rutland and you can shoot one of Chad's bows.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
Hey Rich come over to Rutland and you can shoot one of Chad's bows.
I'm pretty sure you've got alot of bows I want to shoot my friend.  :readit:    :D    :D    :p

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Yet another prices too high....
Brandon has it pretty much right, Most don't have a clue to running a business....All that profit??? Somebody please buy me out and start making all this money. If it weren't for 2nd incomes, you would not have 1/3 the custom bowyers we have today...
If it is priced higher than you can or want to spend, look elsewhere, You will get what you pay for...

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
I noticed 3 Rivers Archery really raised their prices on some of the bows they carry..$459.00 for a Martin X-200...I think I will look else where. I would never pay that much for that bow. Not now not ever.
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
I think Scott Mitchell of TimberHawk Bows has a great product and a nice price also.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
I retired as a Deputy Sheriff after 22 yrs. its a good thing I dont have to depend on making a living just on running a bow shop.My primary income is my retirement.I spent $53,000 on a 36x48 shop when i had it built 5yrs.ago.Thats alot of bows to sale.In 2008 I made 88 bows.You have to like what you do.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »
As someone who, for the first time in my life, is looking to buy a custom made bow I, too, was a little shocked at the prices I was seeing. However I can, and do, understand the economics of you who are producing these works of art are laboring under. I could see you, too, have expenses and labor you have to cover to do what you do. In addition you are making these bows one at a time, not mass producing them, which adds to the cost of each one.
Just letting you guys know, I do not begrudge you what you charge. After all you, also, had to spend years perfecting your craft to turn out something that someone wants to buy. We pay for your expertise. If I wanted a cheap bow I can get one. BUT....I would have a "cheap" bow. How long would that last?
Thanks for what you all do. Wish I could buy one from all of ya.

Bravo to the bowyers!   :clapper:

Dan
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
My question was simply why aren't we seeing more economical bows particularly from the outfits that are essentially or specifically making production bows?

As far as I'm concerned when you are bringing in employees to help build a bow, it's no longer a custom, but more on the order of a semi-production or production-made-to-order bow.  The only reason to do this is clearly to build/sell more bows at less cost to the business owner.

It was no slight or slam on custom bowyers (i.e., individuals who make one bow at a time by themselves w/o any help from employees). To the contrary, as a guy who was a mercy pass in Junior High Shop Class, my hat is off to these guys, like my buddy Tim Finley of Kota Bows, who truly build bows one at a time by themselves.

For that matter, it wasn't a slight or slam on anyone making bows, it was simply a question.

However, as I see it the kettle isn't all that black as Brandon & Bob make it out to be.  

A bowyer or bow company owner also travels to shows, shoots, and hunts, advertising, testing, promoting, & selling his stuff, all of which is tax deductible.  As is I assume, heat for his work shop and the truck on which he advertises his stuff with stickers or custom plates as he travels around.   He can also take time off as he pleases and set his own hours.  

Plus, presumably they are doing something they love.  My axiom has always been when work becomes work and is no longer fun, quit and go do something else...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Look at the BlackCreek Banshee by Jim Gainey of Alabama. He is making the needed sacrifices to keep his prices low. His bows can match up to anyone's, his workmanship is excellent.
He is going to raises his prices this year, by only $25! His start at $400.
"Just because it cost more does not mean it is better".
John

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Well we have painted ourselves into a corner haven't we.  We like things that are traditional and don't want to go with the times.

I purchased a Hoyt Dorado for $400.00 and it is a mass produced bow.  Wait Wait oh it has a metal riser and there is no laminate to speak of.  Gasp it has pre drilled holes in it for a shooting rest and for a stabilizer.

Well that just isn't a true traditional bow.  I won't buy that.  Yes it shoots sweat and the materials it is made out of are inexpensive and the entire riser can be recycled.  But it isn't traditional enough for me.

I shoot off the shelf with no pins no stabilizer pulling with fingers and make my own flemish strings but my bow is radical.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©