3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A new year, higher prices, bad economy, blah blah blah  (Read 845 times)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A new year, higher prices, bad economy, blah blah blah
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Some might think I'm tooting my own horn, performing a publicity stunt, blowing smoke, etc, etc, if so, your entitled to think that way.  I'm coming right out and saying it; with the prices the way they are, some item climbing out of control, talks of getting taxed to death and all that, I'm not playing.  I'm not raising prices on anything I make.  I'm not going to be part of the problem.  My answer is do things more cost effective, optimize my resources, set the heat lower in my shop and put on a coat and hat (I'm the only one out there working so I don't have to hear employees whine about the cold.) I'll use more hand tools and less power tools.  Open some doors and turn off some lights, or even work outside.  Chop my own feathers.... eat less (if that's possible), all while keeping the quality at the best of my capability. It all sounds like more work on my end, and it is, but at least the customers won't deal with it.  After all it's customers that pay my salary.  

Sound like I'm blowing smoke?  Remember I'm not a used car salesman, I can't leave at the end of the day and forget "the job".  It's here day and night and it's a big part of me, and if I don't give the customers the best deal I can it's all gone.  

So during these times, when everything seems to be a huge economic avalanche, just know I'm swimming upstream.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A new year, higher prices, bad economy, blah blah blah
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
:saywhat:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
never heard a bad report about your bows yet. you must be doing something right. when the wife and i have kids i'll be getting them one of your bows for sure. keep up the good work. speak to you in a few years.

we should all be thankfull that we can still afford to enjoy our passions. at least it's not the great depression again...yet.  hope you find some flippers to make going upstream easier.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Good on ya, Mike.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
:notworthy:

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
:archer:  i will be getting a pup in about a year for my son. and i have another bun in the oven but not sure if it is a son or daughter so maybe two bows.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Keep up the good work Mike!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
I don't think you are blowing your horn. I am sorry I overstepped my bounds didn't mean for that to happen. Just got all wound up an just trying to help.

I see it all the time. the litle guy trying to get ahead, working hard and getting to be the bailout guy for the big corps...bull.

I feel for you and I think it is great what you are doing. If the gov gave you guys (everone working not at home watching Springer or Oprah) each 50 grand instead of bailing out all the big corps you would have ppl spending money though wouldn't you. Wouldn't that help...an influx of cash for the economy. If they were really doing their jobs they wouldn't be in this mess.

Boy if we do that they take our house our home our kids...what about them.

Instead it will go to those who need it least and should be going to jail instead.

Jer Bear

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
Allright Mike!!!
I didnt raise my prices,with my buisness lately either.Guess what?Im stayin Busy,while others in the buisness are goin under.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
I think it would be foolish to raise prices at this time. The trick however, is to stay in business long enough to ride out the bad economy.

We didn't raise prices this year either. We need to, just to keep up with the higher price of materials, propane, food, taxes, you name it! We already keep our house at 55 degrees, and I don't heat the shop at all, except to glue or spray bows. I do have an electric heated floor mat though(:

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
:campfire:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Mike, I admimre your grit, your toughness, your belief and detirmination. I bet you will stay busy.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
The Boston Tea Party, 1773

Victory in the French and Indian War was costly for the British. At the war's conclusion in 1763, King George III and his government looked to taxing the American colonies as a way of recouping their war costs. They were also looking for ways to reestablish control over the colonial governments that had become increasingly independent while the Crown was distracted by the war. Royal ineptitude compounded the problem. A series of actions including the Stamp Act (1765), the Townsend Acts (1767) and the Boston Massacre (1770) agitated the colonists, straining relations with the mother country. But it was the Crown's attempt to tax tea that spurred the colonists to action and laid the groundwork for the American Revolution.
 TIME FOR A TRADGANG TEA PARTY   :mad:

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
In kalifornastan the fuhrer has told us we will get a I.O.U from the state this year, instead of a refund on taxes paid.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
i wish it was the same for me in my business framing houses. illegal immagrants have cut everyones throat so bad, that im darn near about forced to take a job at their prices or not get the job at all. im a framer who will not compremise on quality.so i end up losing moneyin the long run.im now in search of another line of work .contractors also say"it doesnt make any sence to pay you anymore than the others" if ya know what i mean"
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
oh kudo's to you if you are able to cut overhead costs in these financially bad times i tip my hat to you sir
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Good for you Mike. I believe you will be blessed more than you already are!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
In "I Remember Papa Bear" Dick Lattimer tells how Fred overcame obstacles, always keeping product quality and customer satisfaction at the top of the list.  You are following in a great man's footsteps.
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
keep at it Mike
Tip of my hat to you   :notworthy:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Users currently browsing this topic: