3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Footing Wooden Arrows  (Read 559 times)

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
Footing Wooden Arrows
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
I just recently switched from POC to carbons. I've now decided to go back to wooden arrows because I realized half the fun of shooting for me, was crafting the wooden arrow.
Here's the problem. I break points when I stump shoot all to often. I would like to foot my own arrows but don't know how. Could someone recommend a good four-footed jig and a how-too book?  :help:
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Footing Wooden Arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
... if it helps, try and have a look at my   my four prong tut , which I edited the other year for fellow TradGang member Cody. Literature advice is also in there.

I doubt though that it will prevent breaking points - but it certainly looks nice and if you break one you have lots of labor to replace it - just as you asked for  ;)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
Jurt to fix arrows that break at the head I use reparrow-it is way easy and holds up extremely well.
To me, the four point footing is great for looks like Falk said, and good for adding weight.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Personally I learned my lesson stumping with wood arrow.  i don't have the money or the time to be busting them up.  For that reason I shoot a carbon flu flu when I'm stumping now, and I save the cedars for 3d and target behind the house. Footing isn't gonna stop that many breaks, it just looks pretty and adds some weight up front. JMHO

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
I bought a jig from 3Rivers some time back and only now have I just started footing my own. It takes some time but is very rewarding thing to do. It's all trial and error with the jig but give it a go mate.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
Footed  arrows aren't any stronger , proably weaker but they  do look nice.

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
I had been led to believe that footed arrows were good for beefing up the tips not with just weight but strenght also. With all of you saying other wise I guess I was misinformed. I still wouldn't mind trying to do one on my own though. They do look good.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Dozer:
Keep in mind wood is still wood. Wood breaks, however I disagree with Adirondack, footed are stronger, how much stronger depends on how they are made!!! There's footed arrows and then there's FOOTED arrows.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
I went through a dozen POC arrows stumping just before the season "a few years" back... then switched the ash arrows.  That first dozen lasted a few years and I was losing them, not breaking them.

Footing the arrow reinforces the area that breaks the most often: right behind the point.

I've used a single-point foot for a few years now to extend the length of some shafts or repair broken arrows.  MUCH easier to do than a 4-pt foot or even a 2-pt foot.  I've never had a footing fail.  Doesn't look nearly as cool as a 4-pt though
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
Has anyone tried using a aluminum arrow to slide over and reinforce the first 6 inches on the arrow?  A guy I shot with this weekend was thinking of trying this.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
CEW:

All you are doing is moving the weak point, and actually increasing the leverage arm to the place of fracture (now behind the foot.  Footing sleeves like those used on carbons are 90% to prevent mushrooming.  as a direct impact drives the internal components backward and splits the hollow shaft.  By ringing the area, it can't expand.  I have broken as many of my footed arrows as unfooted, just in a different place.  Ironically, if the interface is square and the insert set properly, there is a lot less need (and for the record, I do foot my arrows - but for length).

It also helps to hit your target, and not the post it is attached to or the rocks behind it..... :knothead:  ]

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
You may want to check out a good thread going on recently - I believe started by Ben K. from Aus...I'm by no means an authority but I'm interested in shooting strong, well-built woodies - so I've been reading what more experienced shooters have shared.

Ol..talks about a four pt footing but explains that 2 pts need to be staggered.  My understanding was to spread/increase the strength over a larger area and preventing the weak point from being isolated - similar to the spot behind the insert in carbons.

I'll search the post and try to link you up.  There's definitely some good stuff in there.

Hope this helps.

CJ

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=069122#000000  

If not, search this exact title....this is how it appears - I copied it.

??? Interesting Perspective on Wooden Arrows for Heavy Bows ???

CJ

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
I have a hard time believing you need to stagger the points on a 4-pt foot.  They taper off into nothing when done right, there is no sudden change.  Same with any of the 3 methods really.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
I would still like to pose my original question and that is. Can anyone tell me of a GOOD four point footing jig and an acurate how to book on footing wooden arrows. I don't even know where to begin.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Three Rivers Archery sells the four pointed footing jig that you're looking for. Instructions are included.-ART B

Offline csdqm2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
I second the ash shafts. These things are tough as nails.
"Allways do sober what you say you'll do drunk... It will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
i'll 3d the ash arrows...

where can a person get info on the "reparrow"?
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline Mohawkbows

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
AK......do you find the Three rivers jig to be worthwile? I would like to try footing some as well.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
I do what Jeremy does.  It's cheap, easy to do and strong  ;)  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©