3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lots of Snow and What I Thought was a Doe (Pics)  (Read 1004 times)

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lots of Snow and What I Thought was a Doe (Pics)
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
amazing job!
and nows the time to appreciate magnus's lifetime warranty lol

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Well that shoulder looked like a train wreck!  :eek:  I would agree that a wood shaft would have not made it. Good following your instincts on the follow up.   :thumbsup:

I think if your first shot was with the Grizzly, you would have had two busted shoulders if not a pass thur. Who knows for sure, "If peanuts and nuts were ifs and butts we could all have a party".   :p    :biglaugh:    :jumper:  

Congrats again!!

Raven >>>>-------->

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Curt,
  This deer was pretty tuff. After we started boneing it out we saw damage from a car hit in the hind quarter, found someones elses boadhead, and Tim hit it twice.  The scene that mapped out in the snow when I got there, reminded me of a pick I saw in highschool of "Little Big Horn"  I think high shoulder on any deer should be avoided at all cost, no matter what the head is your using. I still love Snuffers and woodsmans.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Arrow k9:
Curt,
  This deer was pretty tuff. After we started boneing it out we saw damage from a car hit in the hind quarter, found someones elses boadhead, and Tim hit it twice.  The scene that mapped out in the snow when I got there, reminded me of a pick I saw in highschool of "Little Big Horn"  I think high shoulder on any deer should be avoided at all cost, no matter what the head is your using. I still love Snuffers and woodsmans.
Me too bud!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Just for the sake of asking.....if those two arrows were shot in reverse order, do you think (in your opinion,cause we'll never really know)anything would have been different?
It's hard to say.  I would like to think the Griz would have punched on through, but even shooting 67# and 700gr arrows, I can't say that for sure.  I have not hit one in the shoulder with a 190.

In the interest of education I'll tell this story.

Earlier last week, my hunting partner hit a nice buck in the shoulder.  He was shooting a 63# Robertson Montana Falcon, razor sharp Grizzly 160's with 100gr inserts, and AD's weighing in around 650 grains.  This same setup shot completely through two pigs with one shot back in June.  The arrow hit the buck so hard the nock shattered off the shaft on impact. Here's a couple pics of the blood trail.

In the second pic, it's kinda hard to see because the batteries were dying, but that bloodtrail leads out into that field constantly for about 60 yds and into a group of pines.  From the amount of sign, I felt pretty confident the arrow had got through enough that we'd be finding that deer.  

For those who don't know, this next pic is a pretty clear indication of a high shoulder hit.  Notice the blood centered right in the track.  Not sprayed out, or being pumped, or anything.  Just running down the leg and dripping off the shoulder.

That's what ya call a false positive.  Not too much longer the blood was just a drop here and there followed by nothing.  He's still out there running around doing his thing.  We found the arrow the next day broke off about 5" above the head.

It's interesting that these two heads would each perform just the opposite of what you would expect under such similar conditions.  But that's hunting and those are the kind of things that happen sometimes.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Great post, very informative. Good detail in the photos.

Is the Irish Antiseptic used in case of cuts while butchering?

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Been following this thread, and I am amazed at that deers ability and desire to live.
Great follow up too!
Congrats, well done.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Finally my recent case of "Over-the-Backitis" was cured this morning. This past week my hunting partner's disease had apparently infected me as I shot over the back of two does, both under 20 yds. He was all proud of himself thinking he had finally passed his bad mojo gene on to me. Alas it was not meant to be. Doug Campbell was kind enough to suggest I was probably just shooting at "short does" and said I should just aim lower. Good advice Doug!  
He did say Does you shot a Buck, they are a little taller.
OH that Irish Whiskey looks like it would go good with butchering.
Congradulations.  :clapper:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
Congratulations on that buck!  Way to follow up!  

Question:  The curl on the tip of that Snuffer is pretty amazing - was the tip left full length when sharpened or had the point been reduced with a file prior to sharpening?  I couldn't exactly tell from the photo.
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Nice Tim!!  Just remember we're gonna be shooting at short pigs come May!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
The tip on that Snuffer was filed down and was not the needle point that comes on them.  I'm going to change the points now to more like I do on the Woodsmans.  Lift the rear and drag it across the file to make it more of a chisel like Charlie shows in his video.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©