3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Footed self nocks anyone...?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Footed self nocks anyone...?
« on: January 12, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
G'day all,

Well I'm looking into putting together something like this...

I'm just starting on some homework at this point in time due to be away from home. I already have a footing jig from 3Rivers that I've footed the point end of shafts, I was just wondering if it's doable with the sam jig for the nock end?

If anyone has done so then please post away. Better still a "How Too" on self knocks would be even better!

Regards,

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Footed self nocks anyone...?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
That is very sharp.Ive never seen anything like that.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
i saw the thread title and thought 'i'll have a look at this", then i saw the pic. WOW!!  :notworthy:  

awesome work AK.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
I'm no selfnocker, but I would sure like for you to keep us up-to-date on your progress.  Good luck!
Best regards in traditional,
Marion

Offline Tommy Leach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
A.K. - I've done a few. I built a jig with a much steeper taper (~1" down the shaft). I cut the wedge with a hacksaw blade and sand with 100 grit paper to clean it up. I then take another hardwood like osage or purpleheart and cut into 3/8" square stock. Trim the correct angle with a bandsaw and use a beltsander to finish the "fit". I glue the foot with epoxy and finish with a fine rasp and sandpaper. A word of caution, watch the grain on your nock and so the groove is across the grain. I made this error and split a nock and dry fired my bow. These make really neat arrows. Good Luck - Tommy
Oklahoma Selfbow Society - Past President
OSS Founding Member

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
That is very nice in my opinion.  :thumbsup:
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Nice Alan, I used to foot all my arrows but it's been long enough ago that we didn't have "jigs"   :banghead:   Still got that little Japanese razor saw somewhere...

After I got tired of all the work in a four finger splice I started doing a two finger splice. I sawed a "wedge" on the end of the shaft an inch long or so, then saw a split in my 3/8" sq nock stock, glued it up by pushing down on the wedge on the arrow end. Be sure to put a small C-clamp on the "stock" piece to keep it from splitting. After the glue sets just work it all down smooth, round and cut the string groove. As Tommy sad be sure to orient the groove across the grain.

Yea it's alot easier to glue on a piece of plastic  ;)  Must be gettin lazy in my old age...
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Al,

Steve H has a footed self nock how to on his page...basically a 3/8 spade bit ground down a bit to match the taper of the nock..glue it on and round it.  

Have seen some done like this at Lamonts shop (footed shaft) and they were pretty snazy....not quite as sharp as some footed nocks like a regular foot but they were still pretty sweet.  

No reason you couldn't use that jig and then taper your shafts on a belt sander tapering jig to nock them down the last 8-10"es...that should keep things uniform and keep from ripping the tips off...  Now I need to find a jig to do on the OTHER end to keep from ripping the tips of the foots off lol.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
Thanks for all the posts. I'll put up some pics when I get 'em sorted out and underway.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline purple heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever."   Isaiah 40:8

Offline purple heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Hello Al--

Woops-- forgot the write up with the picture...

Here are some of my "Truly Traditional" series four point Footed Self-nocks....No plastic on these.  POC with Purple Heart and Grey Goose feathers.
"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever."   Isaiah 40:8

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »
Purple Heart, now that are very very VERY nice ones   :thumbsup:

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Wow Purple Heart! Some fine workmanship there my friend, I tips me hat to you I do.

PM sent.

ak.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
:clapper:  Now that is custom.  Very nice PurpleHeart.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Walnut, standard internal taper.

Reparrow man
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Those arrows are objet d'art.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Actually, they are objet de' arc...
  :D  

Nice arrows too guys.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
Beautiful work on those footed nocks gentlemen!

I've done a few myself out of purpleheart but I reinforced mine with a thread wrap for added security.

Do you gentlemen have 'em reinforced in anyway? Like a spline (Alan?) or threaded inlay (purple heart?) Or you do figure the hardwood nocks are strong enough without reinforcement.

Same question to you also Jim.          ART B

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
Art, I have an arrow in my collection that was given to me by my close & late mate, Bill Baker. It has both the point and nock end footed in a 4 point foot and is reinforced with a Warous (spelling?) ivory pin, inserted from the other way that the string would set into the nock.

When home I'll take a pic and post it. I have many arrows in my collection, but this one just hits close to home.

ak.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
That walrus ivory pin sounds very unique Al! Looking forward to seeing your gifted arrow.

Since I only shoot selfbows I have to be concerned with arrow recovery so I keep my footed selfnocks as short as possible (under 2"). Here's a purple heart nocked Aspen arrow I gave as a gift that's indexed splined using hickory and thread wrapped (I'm a cautious fellow).

ART B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©