3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grooved arrows???  (Read 470 times)

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
grooved arrows???
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
so i've read in several books that cutting groves (like flutes) in an arrow will help various things like "it makes them easier to straighten," or it helps them say straight as well as a half dozen other reasons to do or not to do it. but non of the books have have a central idea behind the grooves, it all seems to be theory.

thought's on the topic anyone?
~Andrew Wesley

Offline RonnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grooved arrows???
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
I bought about 30 arrows at a yard sale this summer (1/2 were aluminum) and a couplr had grooves the full lenght.  The grooved ones were from the alum. 1/2.

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
i've been reading about grooving wooden arrows though.

i'm wondering why? what is the real value of the grooves?
~Andrew Wesley

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
Grooving, corrogating aluminum shaft walls is one way to impart a little more stiffness to very thin walls.  Serves no functional purpose on woodies.

Offline cooncrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
yea the grooved one were excailber arrows from the 80 s made in china i think they were real thin walled grooves were supose to make them stronger but they were like 2012 and sizes like that real thin walled but they didnt weigh much they werent around very long way to light to hunt with
walk softly and carry a big stick

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:29:00 AM »
Actually, grooves in wooden shafts were supposedly quite common in American Indian arrows.  REad Jim Hamm's books on indian bows and arrows.  He said it helps keep them straight.  I've tried it on a couple and had mixed results.  However, this is mainly relating to shoot arrows not split wood/doweled shafts like cedars.  My problem was I could seldom get a shoot arrow straight enough to tell if the grooves helped keep it that way.  If I recall correctly, I think there was something about reducing stress and increasing surface area that were supposed to help.  Maybe one of the primitive archery types will chime in who has more expereince than I do....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
Shoot arrows don't have to be absolutely straight. As long as the point and nock line up and the arrow spins true they are good to go.   I have also had mixed results with grooving. Theoretically the edges of the grooves stiffen as the dry and add spine to the arrow to help prevent warping. I temper all of my shoot arrows after straightening and this does basically the same thing.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Andrew:
I agree with Dave on this, however I really don't believe that anyone knows for sure that its purpose was to keep the shaft straighter. I'm sure the question was never raised until the arrow makers that did it were gone and not able to share their reasons with enquiring minds.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
I've heard them called blood grooves also. My take though was it was to help straighten and stiffen the arrow, espcially if heated over a fire.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 04:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
I've heard them called blood grooves also.
Bayonets have these, they're to allow easy withdrawal of the bayonet from the victim by breaking the surface tension on the blade in the wound - at least that's what we were told in the army.

So could be someone thinking along the same lines to allow better penetration along the shaft of the arrow by dropping surface tension/friction as the shaft goes through the wound.

I love guessing games.     :D
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©