3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting in an uncertain economy  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting in an uncertain economy
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
Ok guys I have a chance to go hog hunting for $300 total with my best friends.  I want to go but I think I will feel a little guitly even though I will sell one of my guns to go. Are you guys watching your spending on hunting in these uncertain times?  would you go?

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting in an uncertain economy
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
If you're depriving your family of basic nutrition or care then no, I wouldn't go.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
Aren't all times uncertain?  We're not guaranteed anything.  If you do not go, will you feel as if you missed out on something the rest of your life?  And for $300 you couldn't buy the amount of sausage you could bring home with a couple of nice hogs right?  Go hunting, enjoy your time with the outdoors and let the economy take care of itself.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
I agree with Tom.  If you're selling a gun that you don't really need/use, then I don't see the harm unless you intend to replace the gun later at a higher cost.  Heck, I'd kill to go hog hunting for only $300.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
I like Toms response and Allans - I think if your covered at home then you need to ask yourself something....life is a dash

There is a start date and an end date and inbetween there is a dash.

What you do in the dash is all you have and you don't know when the end is do you.

My Dad always told recessions are man made and fear based. If you talk about it long enough it will happen. People will stop spending money and then it hits...has to.

Uncertainty is one thing but you need to live too. I want to have nop regrets when I go..infact for the time I have been on this earth and the things I have done if I went tomorrow I would be ok with it (no regrets), but I want to do more things don't get me wrong. live today for today..love your family...work less weekends and spend time with your family and closest friends.

In the end that's all you got an that's ok

jer bear

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:13:00 AM »
... if you had to enter a plane - for every bowhunt you want to do (like me) - you would not be able to read THIS - but stalking through the woods already ...

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »
Well said Falk, just drove over 2 hours to get back to work. I just had to hunt one last time yesterday.

Never a bad time to hunt, just some days are better then others.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »
The uncertainty you have is one of the main reasons we are in the trouble we're in. Not blaming you , mind you, but the fear mongers (who make good money being fear mongers)have us convinced the end is near. Folks everywhere who earn their money by working for it, are pulling back and watching to see what comes next.
 I had planned to build another garage this year and buy a newer vehicle for the wife. I'm sitting on both projects. I have a job I can't lose , as does my wife, but still the uncertainty takes over.
 Jerry is right, recessions are mostly man made and fear based. They have to be since the whole economy is man made and when it hiccups, the fear takes over.
 I think you are fine going on your hunt , knowing no more than I know. You know best, follow your instincts.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
Nope. My family is used to bologna.
They're all grown up enough to work  :-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 07:11:00 AM »
If you take the time to wonder and worry, then you will be just fine. It`s the people who do what they WANT without regard to the circumstances that have created the FALSE economy we have gotten used to for the last ten years. It just finally caught up to us.

Go huntin`...Mo.Huntin!

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
I would go just to fill my freezer. Prime cuts of pork in the store are pretty pricey. If you happen to get a hog in the 250-300# range, you won't have to buy pork for  almost a year. If you are selling off a gun that makes up the majority of the hunt price, then go have fun!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
If you have to sell one of your firearms to go, then I wouldn't do it.  From a purely practical standpoint, that is an asset that, if need be, could be sold or traded for something you or your family needs in dire circumstances.

Secondly, firearms, like bows, are getting more expensive by the day, and if you want to replace it, it will likely cost you a helluva lot more than $300 to do so.

If you are like me, come six months down the road you will wish you had not gotten rid of it.  With a small handful of exceptions, in the 35 some odd years since trading my first gun, I've eventually regretted parting with most.

If you can swing the $300 without selling any property, go for it.  If not, pass & stay home...

As far as hunting trips go, I just got a promotion &substantial raise so I can afford to hunt as I please, it just pleases me to spend this off season at home working on bows & new handloads.  Still, a mid winter trip down to Texas sounds nice...  :D
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »
Rather then sell to go, might just save to go. For example if you stop for a paper and coffee @ 2 dollars a shot that $520.00 a year. if you can find a coffee and paper for $2.00.

Offline StickBender55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
If your family's needs are taken care of and want to fund this trip with the sale of some item that you don't intend to use again or has no sentimental value then by all means do so.

Life is short. We never know when our time will be done.    :coffee:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
Seriously, How are we supposed to answer that question for you?

Only you can know whether you should or shouldn't, or can or can't........
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
As a general rule, if you have to sell something to go, you can not really afford the trip.
It is probably a bad financial decision. Odds are that you will get less than you paid for the gun so you are losing money you do not need to lose.
In most cases you would be better off finding a second job for a few weeks or months (doing anything, do not be picky) to earn the money to go on the trip.
John

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bonebuster:
If you take the time to wonder and worry, then you will be just fine. It`s the people who do what they WANT without regard to the circumstances that have created the FALSE economy we have gotten used to for the last ten years. It just finally caught up to us.

Go huntin`...Mo.Huntin!
OH this should be a on a big sign somewhere.

Amen brother.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
No way guys! If you can go to a title pawn and get the cash to go, DO IT!
One day you'll realize that life is mostly over and you fretted it away sitting around the house!
You can deliver pizza's for two weeks and make $300.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
I'm with Biggie - find a way and make it happen!  Life is short, and trips like this are too few and far between for many people.  I've been fortunate to take a good number of trips, but you know what I would have if I had just skipped them all?  Not much.  More than likely would have just spent it on something else anyway.  Even if I did save it I would just have some numbers on a bank statement.  My only real regret is that I didn't take even more trips than I have.

Unless you would be depriving your family of essentials, or skipping the mortgage payment, just go!  If you don't need the gun, go ahead and sell it.  Otherwise get the second job, scrimp and save, but do what you need to do to make it happen!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
Some solid advice so far....I've been contemplating selling my muzzleloader to go on a hog hunt(would be my first) so I can totally relate to your dilemma.  If you can part with the gun - then I say go for it and have a great hunt!

However, as Guru said - the decision is ultimately your own.  You have to feel comfortable about going.  Now, go fill the freezer!

Life is short!

CJ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©