3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: where to move?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Pruski2

• Trad Bowhunter
where to move?
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
Lost my job after 27 years in CT.  where should i move to? Best for hunting, seasons, game, land?  Thanks

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: where to move?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
I'd go to Iowa if you are into whitetails. It's hard to get a place to hunt, but I bet it is not any harder than it is in CT.
I tried to get my fiance to move to Namibia with me but she was not going for it. HA!

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
Not Texas, unless you are willing to pay for a lease, or know somebody that has land that is not leasing it.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
You can go west, but beware that states like MT, WY, ID, and others are known for very poor wages. That and high food prices in the remote areas makes living tough.  People stay there because they love the country, not for the money.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Glad you posted this...might be making a move myself in the not so distant future.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I'll be watching this one too.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
You should probably skip Alabama. There are a lot of places to hunt, but everyone hunts, most guys kill everything that is brown. Bucks don't have much of a chance to grow big.
John

Offline loyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
try missouri, not a lot of money but it is a good place to live and hunt. my wife is in realestate she can sell you a place. i have been here since 1960 hate winter and mid summer but love the rest of it. loyd

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
McCall Idaho, right next to Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness area, 2.5 million acres and the largest outside of Alaska. The demographics, crime rate, housing and land prices in Valley County are much better than where I current live, cold does wonders for some things. Given half a chance and I'm out of here. I thought I'd never want to leave GA, but the GA that I grew up in left here a long time ago.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Bible5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
how about North Carolina?
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever: A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You love righteousness and hate wickedness" Psalm 45:6

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
Pruski2, come on over here to Iowa.  I live in Ottumwa, Iowa, home of Radar O'Riley (from MASH).  The hunting in the southern two tiers of counties here is awesome.  The world record whitetail buck was shot about 15 miles from where I hunt.  And yes, jonsimoneau is right, it can be hard to find a place to hunt, but I know plenty of people, and the public lands aren't too bad anyway.  My parents live around Rathbun Lake, an 11,000 acre man-made lake about 45 minutes from me, and 20 miles from the "Albia buck" area.  Weather sucks right now, but I'm sure you get the bad winters in CT too.  PM me if you have any questions, and I'll try to help as much as I can!

Joe

ps. I should add there's a John Deere plant here that I believe will be hiring soon, and they've got the best health care and wages in the whole state.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
LKH nailed that!

Welcome to Montana - poverty with a few.  I am ahome town boy - retired back home after 30 years out seeking my fame and fortune.  Came back with little of either and am now working again for less than 1/2 I was making in the (ugh) city.

With the economic nosedive, the top three employers are laying off in droves and the unemployment rate in Kalispell is expected to be over 10% by the end of this month.

Hunting and fishing are good, bu tnot near what is was when I was a kid here over 30 years ago.  With the reintroduciton of wolves, the deer and elk in some places are now at critical low numbers.  There is a bumper sticker you see on a whole lot of pickup trucks that has a wolf sillouette and the words SMOKE A PACK A DAY!
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
If I could do It all over again I'd be out west some where living In or very close to the mountains.

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
I moved to Mississippi and am happy with the move, of course I moved from Louisiana so just about anywhere would look good.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
i guess its important to ask what kinda work ya do. if your a nurse you could move just about anywhere just not to new york,the taxes alone will kill ya. i am a michigan boy(wyandotte) born and in- bred. stuck here in NY since 1986,because of a marriage and the USAF. i'm not in either one anymore,would move back to MI in a second if i could,northern though,mackinaw somewhere,not southern.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
how about  NEW ZEALAND  :goldtooth:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Pruski2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
i was in animal care for pharmaceutical research.

27 yrs now laid off,,,,  due for a change

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
There are no deer in Iowa. Move to Illinois - somewhere near Jon's house from the look of his photos.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Best hunting seasons, game and land? Ever think of changing citzenship? British Columbia would be my choice hands down.
Jack Shanks

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Pruski2. Don't give up. Rewards come to those who stay the course and be strong.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©