3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: where to move?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline rock_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: where to move?
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Don't look to ND unless you like arctic weather, the low last night was -32 at my house.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Baltimore sucks.....looking to maybe jump ship and head back home to central Ohio myself,reasonable housing and great hunting. Just gotta find a job there. Also looking at northern MI and Alaska......never thought of New Zealand.... they need plumbers there?
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
They need plumbers everywhere.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
I'll second New Zealand for the things you mentioned (don't know about land prices anymore though)Lots of Crown public land. Kinda far.
 In the states I say Missouri for land prices/hunting but you have to go west for variety of game. South Dakota has the longest and best archery season's, land cost are good in some spots and lots of variety of game. I have been really happy with the hunting here. Very anti animal right activists too.
Wherever you go Pick a spot close to a corner that way you can hunt different states easily.
Good Luck!
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
I second Missouri. Good hunting, good fishing, fair weather, hot summer and a fair amount of public land. Some nice deer come out of mo. And the hunting season starts Sep. 15 and goes to Jan. 15 except for gun season. There are a few archery only areas.   :archer:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Korak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
I moved from CT to Arkansas 25 years ago and have never regreted it.

Our bow season runs from Oct. 1st to Feb 28th. Land and taxes are pretty cheap.
Korak
NW AR
1973 fedora TD

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Ohio, best sleeper state around. Like they said before you just need to find a job. close to PA construction is still going halfway strong.
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
I miss the deep South.  I was raised at Folly Island, SC. Game populations are abundant.  Year 'round hunting for feral hogs.  Small game out da ying-yang.  Shrimp, oyster, clams, etc.. for the taking.  When my wife & I left the Chechs Border, 20 yrs. ago, I gave her the option of where to live.  She chose the mountains of SW Virginia.  But, the older we get, the more we miss the coastal swamps.
Best regards in traditional,
Marion

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
The west is the best. We may have lower wages, but the variety of game to hunt makes up for that.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
I dont think ohio is a sleeper state.Every year someone kills a world class whitetail.Like this or bigger.  
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
i guess its important to ask what kinda work ya do. if your a nurse you could move just about anywhere just not to new york,the taxes alone will kill ya. i am a michigan boy(wyandotte) born and in- bred. stuck here in NY since 1986,because of a marriage and the USAF. i'm not in either one anymore,would move back to MI in a second if i could,northern though,mackinaw somewhere,not southern.
Hey Kev, me too, I was born and raised in Wyandotte, great little town, still have a lot of family there. Remember  JJ's Pizza, the best there is!

Sure would like to live up in the UP of Michigan someday, big woods, I love it!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
That is one *fine* Ohio whitetail LB Ben!
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Shinken thanks thier are lots of big bucks in ohio.Take a look at ohio dnr photo gallery from this year.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 03:42:00 AM »
You might consider Wash. or Ore. They are not "Right To Work States" so wages are not bad.  Lots to hunt if you like Deer, Elk, Bear, WA. has draws for mountain goat, Sheep,  and Moose [last two are 1 tag for a lifetime I think] Ore has draws for Antalope.

If you do decide to come this way you need to think about living near [within 50] miles of one of the larger cities ie: Seattle, Spokane, Tri Cities,{Kenewick,Pasco,Richland} Portland or a good size town on the I-5 Corrridor as thats where the best paying jobs seem to be. East side of both states seem [with the agriculture based economies] to have higher unemployment, Less construction and home building, and unless your union, lower wages, but by far the Best Hunting.

There is quite a lot of State, and Federal land along with large tracts of Corporate owned timber company land to hunt.

Min. wage in both states is near $9.00.  I was lucky however and spent my working career with UPRR and BNRR. Wash has highest gas tax in nation but property tax is not too bad yet.  No state income tax but about 8% sales tax.  Utilities [Electricity] are not bad in most of WA state.  Ore has state income tax but no sales tax, little higher property tax and higher utilities.

Most people out here commute a ways to work and this is a pain as you get in close to either Seattle, Portland or any of the larger cities on the I-5 corridor.  I commuted about 55 miles daily for years from our log cabin in the woods into Vancouver WA using I-5. It was about 30 minutes each way. By the way I have never seen a toll road out here.

If you do make it out this way there are some good state level trad organizations to help you getted started in the right hunting directions.

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
I think you would be better off moving to a place where your opportunity for employment is the greatest.  Nothing wrong with wanting to spend all your spare time outside and/or hunting but hunting is just an activity we do not a job we have...unless of course you're retired then I would move somewhere there are pigs that can be hunted all year.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
Wyoming is a great place, with lots of outdoor activities besides hunting, and our unemployment rate is low.  That being said, the job growth is in the oil patch, and if you aren't a young buck that enjoys getting tired and dirty, making a living can be tough. We are in the Boom phase now, but the Bust inevitably comes, and with that, tough economic times. Housing is hard to come by in Boom times, but will be a dime a dozen when the Bust hits. After my police career, I worked with vets on employment issues, and the blue collar workforce is where most people subsist in the Cowboy state. Research carefully before making a move. I saw lots of people who moved to Wy because of the hunting/outdoor stuff, and got very disillusioned after a winter or two. I'm snowbirding in Arizona right now; those winters can get tedious. But then compared to N. Dakota or central Alaska, we don't have much to complain about as far as winter is concerned.
Another consideration; are you a native northeasterner? If so, moving to a place like Wy or Montana is like moving to another country; the lifestyles are very different. Some folks adjust, others are like a fish out of water. If the tables were turned, I can't imagine living in the northeast; I gotta have space! I'm not kidding when I say that some folks freak out in 'big sky' country, where most of our counties are bigger than your state, and the antelope outnumber the humans. If possible, I would suggest that you take an extended trip to whereever you think would be a good place to move, and NOT during hunting season, just to see what life is really like.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
Come to Manitoba....it's only -50 here today! Great for making ice cubes!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
-50?
Farenheit or Celsius?
At that point, does t matter?
That calls for a gin and tonic.   :readit:

Animal care for research? There must be a listing of similar facilities that could use you. If not, can you branch out into say, vet tech or similar? Could require some training, but they are needed everywhere.  

I like Virginia, but it is getting crowded. I dream of a place somewhere in West VA where I could be left alone. Dang it, I forgot. I have to work because they lost my forms at the hospital. You know, the ones ya fill out if you want to be born independently wealthy.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Look into Kansas.  Great Vet Med school and a new federal animal health/safety facility going in at Manhattan.

Never thought I would encourage someone to move here.  I really do not want this state to get crowded.
Poor folk with poor ways, but rich just the same.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
Our temp is actually -47 Celcius which is -52.6 Farenheit. Temperature aside, the bowhunting opportunities are endless here, the housing market inexpensive, and the economy is doing alright. Winnipeg (the city I'm in) has the Canadian virology lab for animal disease research which employs hundreds of people. Something to look in to!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©