3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: where to move?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: where to move?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
If money is what is important to you then go to a big city and make lots of it.
If quality of life is what matters, then your heart will lead you.
I made that decision 32 years ago and don't regret it. Not worth a lot of money but I have memories and friends I'll treasure forever.
The hunting and fishing is good here too!

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
MT., for sure.  :bigsmyl:
Steve.

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
Look at central and eastern Kentucky and Tennessee, seldom so cold you can't get out with little or no snow.  TVA Lakes, rivers and creeks abound, with a bow season for deer and turkey that runs from mid September to mid January in KY.  If you approach most farmers/land owners and act like a respectful man, tell them your a trad bowhunter they will welcome you to their property. Presently a buyers market on real estate.
CON... jobs are difficult to find and getting worse.
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Don't come to Pennsylvania.  All people do here is bitch about the Game Commission and whine about no game 8^).  There's some beautiful country north and east of you my friend.  Green grass is where you find it.  

Killdeer,  There's lots of places to get lost in West Virginia...about mid state....same in Pennsylvania, north of I-80.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Northern Pa is beautiful country. Potter county. Not a lot of people up that way either. It might be tough finding work though up that way.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
You ought to try Kansas. Great hunting of just about everything, well, maybe not elk. Good muley, great whitetails. Bird hunting is pretty good. Also public ground is pretty good around here.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Kansas for me. I have researched a bunch of states and Kansas has what I would want. Great whitetails and good pheasant hunting, oohhh when I retire! Shawn
Shawn

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
Tennessee or North Alabama.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Just south of Kansas is the great state of Oklahoma. Both states are very nice places to live and work and the hunting is good in each. Anchorman is from Wichita, Kansas, which is just across the north border of Oklahoma. Oklahoma doesn't have as many mule deer, but we have lots of good whitetails, turkey, pheasant, quail, waterfowl, varmints and even some limited elk hunting. Residents can get lifetime hunting and/or fishing licenses for relatively little and hunt and/or fish almost all the game except federal species without any additional license or tag fees for the rest of your life. The people here are friendly, the cost of living is relatively low, and the economy is still better than in most other places around the country. With that said, New Zealand does sound awfully tempting!   :)  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
oh hell yeah   Allan and whats so good about it is you do not need a  game tag and ya can hunt all year round if ya want and fish as well but ya do need a licence for trout but nothing else. is that good or what!!! i think so    :biglaugh:    but hey if i could afford to i would be over to the states in a heart beat as you guys got so much different game that ya can hunt with a bow.  :archer:but ya can keep ya chiggers and snakes.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Pruski2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
thank you all for such great ideas and support. yesterday was like having a rug pulled out from under me, with the company since i was 19 yrs old, now 46... 27 yrs      only 8 more and i would have had full retirement.. i had stellar work ethics and had climbed to the top of a blue collar job.. They said it was downsizing and nothing work related.  No union,,   anyways at 46 and after living here my whole life I feel like doing things different. My wife is an RN and would be able to work.. I have hunted Texas, MT, W virginia, PA and maryland.
We only live once and at 46 I am ready for a small town with folks that care and a nice church. Thanks again for all of the advice.  God bless, Pruski

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Good luck, I think you have the right idea moving out of the North East. I think things are going to get a lot worst in the NE do to the State and local Governments being totally clueless and the out of control spending. The link I posted is a website where you can compare different cities cost of living etc.

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?lcity=5380&rcity=2080&amt=110,000
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Steve, I'm another CT. boy who was laid off in August My wife was too so we got double wammied.(sp?) We've been doing a lot of research into the Rapid City, S.D. area. Quite impressive. We're looking into ways to make the move. Check it out. (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
East Texas has lots to offer, plenty of National Forest, lots of lakes and rivers, reasonable cost of living and hog hunting 365 days a year.

John
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
I'd vote for Texas too as long as you have money to buy land or lease it. Tons of hunting & fishing here. Public land here tends to be crowded and theft and idiots can be a real issue at some places.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I'm an Iowa girl.  Went to school in CT.  Liked the area but way to many people for me.  I would pass from one town to the next and not know it.  They all ran together.  In Iowa you have at least 15 miles of corn fields between each town.
The hunting is great in Iowa.  I pay $3 for a landowner deer tag.  Can't beat that.  If you do Iowa, I would go to Southern half.  I am in the middle.  Our taxes are out of control.  House prices near DesMoines will be over priced.  Southern Iowa and Northern Missouri will be great for taxes and real estate.  Just further away from larger cities for work.
I am lucky to be able to hunt my own place.  Everyone seems to hunt.  Late season I had 2 yahoos set up a tent for muzzy right on my property line.  They were in range of my stands and my other neighbor's stands.  They said "oh well, guess it is your fault if you shoot us.  You know we are here."  Just not safe.  There went late season.  They seemed to have a great time.  I went out to sit and watch last day of season.  50 does and 15 small bucks within 30-40 yards.  Sounds great, it was!  Just toooo cold to pull my bow.  The temp right now is -15.  School is cancled.  5 days at home withmy kids and they can'tgo outside!  Pray for me!  
The summer is terrible hot with nasty bugs.  But we have some nice lakes and rivers to fish and canoe on.  I vote Iowa for Sring Turkey and fall deer.  Tennessee for winter weather and hogs.  Some Western mountain state for summer outdoor activities and cooler temps.  So now you just need to hit the lottery and make it happen.  Will let you know if I pull that one off myself.
Good luck-
Katie
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
If I could, Montana. Not sure what I would do but my dream is to retire there.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline FOXXNTROUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
I have lived all over and I enjoyed Missouri and Kansas for hunting. There is plenty of good land, somewhat low taxes, and the airports are good if you need to vacation somewhere else. You get all four seasons and if you are closer to Arkansas you may miss some of the snowfall farther north. Missouri also has decent trout fishing and the license fees for instate aren't too bad.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
I certainly don't blame you for wanting to get out of the northeast.  No way I could live there.  Too many people.  But my area is getting more crowded also.

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I like Missouri.  Plenty of small towns and good people.  Oh yeah, we have an abundance of whitetails and public land to hunt them on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©