3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: January Ohio Deer hunting  (Read 264 times)

Offline Sam M

• Trad Bowhunter
January Ohio Deer hunting
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
I have been asked to take 5 unscheduled vacation days due to poor auto sales. This vacation time will be spent in January rather than my normal October days. I would like to use these days to do some deer hunting in Ohio since the travel distance would not be too far. I live in SE MI.

The problem is I don't have any idea where to start. Any suggestions as to where to hunt on public land?? Lodging?

Heck, If I'm off work I might as well go hunting Right?

Sam M

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: January Ohio Deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Sam, you could get lucky and have snow to hunt in and some rutting action at the end of the month.  I've hunted the public land at Salt Fork state park several times this year, and have seen deer every time.  There is a good mix of hardwoods, fields, and brushy areas - by now most of the deer will be in the thick, brushy areas.  You can download the map and when you get there, stop in at the wildlife management office for some pointers as where to start (hint - the thick overgrown fields and swampy areas east of that office hold some deer).  For lodging, you can camp at the state park or get a relatively cheap motel at nearby Cambridge.  Good hunting!
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline CBH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I'll second the Salt Fork State Park suggestion. There are a bunch of deer there, and this time of year they get little to no hunting pressure. It does get a lot of pressure from gun hunters though, but every year there are some really nice bucks killed there, especially during the early muzzle loading season.  Cambridge has lodging and good places to eat, and it is only about 15 minutes away.

Offline Mick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Day trip to Lake La Su An Wildlife Area.  5 miles from the Michigan border.
 http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/WildlifeAreaMaps/NorthwestOhioWildlifeAreaMaps/LakeLaSuAnWildlifeArea/tabid/19776/Default.aspx

Sorry the link's so big....

Mick  :)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mick:
[QB] Day trip to Lake La Su An Wildlife Area.  5 miles from the Michigan border.

I'll second that. I haven't gotten over there, but have heard good things about it.

-Charlie

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Sam, Send me an PM with your number and we can talk. Salt Fork is a good option but gets pounded by gun hunters. And with our muzzleloader season right after x-mas the deer dont have much time to calm down. I know of some state land in Egypt valley that I could hook you up with if your interested. Cheap hotels near by as well. I wouldn't come too late into Jan. due to horn loss. Talk to ya.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
ttt for my buddy  :thumbsup:  

Sam,

You may want to check with your go-to bowyer...he does some hunting down in Ohio and I think there is some stae and federal around there.

Offline Sam M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!

Got some calls to make and a little more research on what you have given me.

Thanks
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©