3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dryad bb blanks your experiance  (Read 387 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dryad bb blanks your experiance
« on: January 13, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
Who out there has built a bow from one of the blanks,bbo or bb whatever. I did a glass blank and was pleased but that took less tiller skill. What is your story with the blanks?   thank Ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dryad bb blanks your experiance
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
i tried one 2years ago.it made a great bow.take your time and follow wingnuts video to help you out.i used a wood scrapper to tiller the bow.takes a little bit of time but worth it...chris

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
Ron, I have tillered 4 of them (2 bulletwood, 1 osage and 1 yew). Mike and Jason makes the best bow blank out there with the best customer service availiable. The blanks all turned out awesome with the exception of the osage....All went well with the tiller job, I was at 27" of draw when the bamboo decided to splinter on me. That is how I wound up getting to work with the yew....Mike replaced my osage blank with the yew blank (minimal upcharge, by my request) with no questions asked. He backs his work 100%. I have also made one of the glass blanks and It is one of the best shooting bows in my arsenal!
 Give their BB blanks a try and follow the instruction from the vidio and you will be very happy with the outcome......Terry

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
Watch the video several times and make notes. If you assemble the tools ahead of time you will be shooting the bow in one day.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Bjorn, the take-down you show, is that reflexed also or straight limbed. That looks intresting to me.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
Ron that's an R/D that has lost some shape. Dryad sells 2 pc glue ups as a kit; unless you have made some 1 pc bows already save the 2pc for a while.
There is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Also, go over to the 'Bowyer's Bench' section here on TradGang for some tips.

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
I had an awesome experience!!  Bow turned out awesome!!

Cocobolo riser, bamboo/glass limbs (they helped me alot!)  Awesome bow!!
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
I made a bamboo backed yew blank.  I really enjoyed it.  It was my first attempt at bow building and it came out a few pounds lighter than what I was shooting for (I got carried away getting the perfect tiller).  It is a nice shooter and I will likely do it again one of these days.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I made a glass blank and it came out very well. The all natural stuff looks so neat and I have heard the performance is good also. I have made some other laminated and self bows but they were not all smashing success's. I guess thats normal in this game...lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©