3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which longbow for a greenhorn archer?  (Read 245 times)

Offline sharps54

• Trad Bowhunter
Which longbow for a greenhorn archer?
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
Hi,
My 13 year old son and I have decided to learn traditional archery, first just target shooting and once we are ready hunting. I have a thread going in the VA section (   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=83;t=000086   ) and have pretty much set on a right handed 20# PSE Buckeye Heritage Recurve for the boy but am undecided for myself. I was going to go with a left handed 30# PSE Buckeye for myself as I was told we could share arrows if I kept my bow at 30# or under. I have since read Howard Hill's Hunting The Hard Way and I really want to start with a longbow myself which brings the question, which one for a novice archer?

I figured I would get more responses here so I have started this new thread. I am currently looking at this bow (   http://www.21stcenturylongbow.com/Trainer.htm   ) the Trainer at 21st Century Longbows. I don't mind spending money on quality equipment but don't want to spend more than needed at first. I will buy a heavier bow for hunting down the road, this is just to learn how to shoot a bow and to cut my teeth on. If I need to buy a set of arrows for each bow that is OK.

I guess that's about it, if there are other bows I should be looking at I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Jason

ETA Is the model I have linked to above even considered a traditional longbow? I just looked at the unstrung pic again and it has some curve at the tips.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which longbow for a greenhorn archer?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Nice little bows at the tradstore. I think for yourself I would pic up a used longbow here in the classifieds.  The other day some one poseted a "need a inexpensive bow 40# or under" or something like that and he got a lot of great offers. You should go up to 35-40# in my opinion.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by sdpeb1:
You should go up to 35-40# in my opinion.
I agree for both you and your son. If he is drawing, say 25-26" he will only be at about 11-14# with the 20# bow. With a 35-40, he would be around 28-32. Unless he is a really small 13 year-old. That should work for him.

A 40# longbow would be smooth and easy to draw for you and you will get better arrow flight.

I also agree about looking in the classifieds.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline NewtoTrad2008

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I just bought a Mohawk and love it. I am new to the Trad world and the best advice I received from lots of Gangers was to go to a Trad store and try different bows. The shop I went to let me shoot whatever bow I wanted until I found one that fit me and my budget. After about 2 1/2 hours I came out with a great bow that I love to shoot, and am shooting well. Thats my .02
Kanati 56" 55#@26" missing :-(
Mohawk 64" 60#@28"
Ben Pearson KM Special 50#@28"
Matt

Offline sharps54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice so far. We did go to a store that stocked traditional bows (they didn't have much in left hand but plenty for Wyatt, my son, to try) and we found over 20# he started shaking. What can I say, years of video games have ruined him. We are working on fixing that (not really his fault, I only married his mom 1 1/2 ago so we have a lot of lazy years to fix...) and that's where getting outside to shoot bows comes in.

A used bow is OK for me and I don't mind buying a new one but I from the bows I tried 40# is about the max I want to start with and a bit lighter might be better. BTW we are both about 5'4", he'll probably end up being 5'10" to 6' by the time he finishs growing. We will both end up with a different bows down the road we just need something to start with.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
You don't have to spend a lot of money to get started. you can pick up bows in the 35-40 range very reasonable. I mentored  a 10 yr old a few yrs back, he started at 35lbs and within a yr was complaining the 48lbs was too light for him..PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
I picked up an "off brand" hand made bow on **** by seigeworkcreations for $200. I absolutely LOVE it.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
**** - Whoops, sorry moderators!

should have read: "... on 'a popular auction web site' by..."
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©