3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming elk - anybody hunted units 63/64?  (Read 880 times)

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming elk - anybody hunted units 63/64?
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
Time to decide where to put in for elk tags, and with 3 preference points I would like to bowhunt in western Wyoming again this year.  I have spent some time in grizzly country but never actually saw one, just their sign.   I like to hunt alone, which is breaking one of the rules for grizzly country.   I have some information that the bowhunting in limited entry units 63 and 64 is very good, if you don't mind lots of grizzly bears.  I think I'll have a 50% chance at a tag for either unit, but I wonder just how bad the bears will be in this unit - anybody know?
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming elk - anybody hunted units 63/64?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Haven't hunted these specific areas, but I used to hunt 67 a lot which is now got lots of griz. I would suspect that these areas would have quite a few as well. A wheelie shooter got mauled pretty good somewhere near Cody last season, but I don't know which area he was hunting. That said, you can now legally carry a firearm in Wy while bowhunting, and it would be peace of mind if nothing else while in grizzly country. In my years of hunting area 67, I only saw one grizzly, but he woofed at me from 30 yards away while I was looking for elk in some black timber. It raises the hair on the back of your neck for sure. As Jack O'Conner wrote many years ago, "A mountain with grizzlies on it is much more interesting than one without". Grizzlies have become a real problem in some areas of northwest Wyoming, and not much has been done about delisting them. Until they learn a fear of man, they will continue to make things interesting for sportsmen in the back country.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
I believe the story about this guy and his dad are in the last issue of Eastman's Journel. They were cow calling a bull and the grizz came up from behind the son looking for the cow!
I like to relax when I go hunting! Don't think I'll be hunting in grizz country, with or without a firearm.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Yep that particular story is on my mind.  I like adventure and won't mind a few bears, but I don't want to put myself into a dangerous situation.  Several years ago I drew a Montana elk tag and was planning to hunt a certain area of the A-B wilderness.  When I found out from several hunters who knew that area well, to expect to see more grizzlies than elk, I picked a different area with less grizzlies and had a great hunt.

I'm waiting to hear back from some Game and Fish folks from the Cody office about these units, just thought that a fellow tradganger might have experience there as well.  Thanks for the input.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Jeff, Do these units have any wilderness?  I think you know you can't hunt there without a guide.  Don't have a WY mag handy so I'm not sure what area that is.

Offline Blake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
There are grizz in that country but not nearly as thick as further north.  Just carry your bear spray at all times and enjoy your hunt.  
The father/son team from last year had no spray and no gun.  Not the way I choose to hunt around here!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
I think some of these areas touch on the Washakie Wilderness (don't have maps handy), but a lot of the areas would be on Forest, BLM or private.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Thanks all.  Unit 63 looks better to me from the topo maps, but a good chunk is wilderness/ off limits to me and I'm told there are more bears there.  Unit 64 is bigger but some is BLM land where I don't expect elk to be in September and some is Indian land, which I assume is also off limits to me.

I'll be carrying both pepper spray and my pistol, but I'm just not experienced in bear encounters.  If I get a bull down and I'm back in a few miles from the truck, the pucker factor could rise considerably.......

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
I have never hunted that areas in question, but here is a link to the map.. The area that is wilderness is marked by the lined places.

Wyo Elk Areas
Damn Nice guy

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
If you get one down, get the quarters off, even if you leave the hide on, and move them upwind at least 100 yards as quick as possible.  With a partner this can be done very quickly.  I promise you, you can shoot more accurately with the spray than the gun.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
I hunt 61 and 62 whenever I can draw. There's plenty of bears in both so I figure 63 will have plenty also. I don't know anything about 64. Seen lots of elk in 63. I deer hunt along the Wood River about every year.

Carry spray, know how to use it. Keep a clean camp. Cook far enough away from where you sleep. I sometimes bring a 45/70 for a camp gun, depending on the year. I was once told G&F used to like to relocate the "problem bears" to 62. Don't know if it's true or not.

Have a fun trip and don't let the bears keep you from it. A wise old man once told me, "if you're gonna live with them, you gotta learn to live with them".   :thumbsup:

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
How do you figure the 50% odds?  I've got max points as well.  Good thread.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
To quote Eastman's Journal, "Units 63 and 64-For the hardcore D-I-Y hunter who is not afraid of grizzly bears, this is arguably one of the best units in the state. This is a vast unit with plenty of country and more than its share of elk..."
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Jeff,

I'd go one step further: in addition to the bear spray and pistol, bring along a slower friend! You'll also have someone to help pack your elk out for you! Win-win situation, buddy.

PS - I think Receveur is looking for a new adventure this fall ;>)
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
Barney, 2 year ago I hunted with Ron Dubee, anbd on the last day of my hunt I saw a Grizz feeding on one of the camp's horses.He was some 100 ys upwind but was really impressive. Most of the hunters had bear encounters at very close scary distance. The camp must be kept in a real wise way if you don't want to share it with them
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
jeff  as a life long resdient of colo and wyo i advise you to put in any of the area s just west of sherdian ur a lot better off and if you shoot any bull short of 350 p &y in there you made a mistake haha  there s some huge 375- 400 bulls in that area and not as many gizzleys  but for me i pack my 500 s& w never know when ya might need it  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©