3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions for Hoyt Dorado or GameMaster II owners  (Read 528 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions for Hoyt Dorado or GameMaster II owners
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
I'm interested in purchasing one of these recurves, but haven't physically put my hands on either one, yet. I ran into a guy at a 3-D shoot and he seemed very happy with his GameMaster II and its' performance. He let me draw it and it seemed very smooth with no stacking.

I've shot several different types of recurves for many years, so this isn't my first recurve purchase. One of the recuves that I used to own (several years ago) was a Hoyt Pro Medalist that was 45 lbs. @ 28" with no sights, a flipper rest, 2016s and 4" feathers it would shoot 3" groups VERY consistantly at 20 yards.

I'm used to shooting off of the shelf with a rug rest, feathered aluminum arrows and a finger tab. Is this possible with either of these recurves or would the machined risered bows perform better with a flipper style rest?

Any other thoughts and/or opinions on these recuves is appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
George Washington didn't defeat the British with his freedom of speech....he shot them.

Offline Intuit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions for Hoyt Dorado or GameMaster II owners
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
I shoot my Dorado off a flipper with a berger button. I have several ILF Hoyt limbs converted to the Dorado/GM system and one set of Morrison foam core longbow limbs. IMO you can't beat the dead quiet of the foam limbs and you can get several manufacturers limbs that will fit. If you shop right they are rather cheap as compared to having to go back to the original bowyer. The conversion of posted weight on limbs is a little bit of a guessing game but you can figure plus 6 to 8 pounds above 25" riser weight, but that is somewhat adjustable as is the tiller.

I'm a real stickler for flight and accuracy and just can't get the same off the shelf as off the rest. Been shooting fingers for 40 years. Haven't seen any disadvantage to the rest being above the hand. Shot a 363 Vegas  barebow score at our club league last Friday.

PM me if you would like more info and opinion.
Senior member & Measurer P&Y Club
NRA Life Member
Past Bowhunter Safety Instructor

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
I have a Gamemaster 1 with Dorado limbs. I shoot off the shelf and like it. It shoots fine this way....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
I have a Gamemaster and a Dorado and they both shoot very well.  I shoot off the shelf and the factory padding does not last very long, had to build out the center shot on the riser with some extra spacing on my side plate material, but shoots good now.  They can be noise, so play with the brace height and string silencers as well as limb pads and you can get them very quiet.  Performance seems on par with most good recurves and they do shoot well.  Only really unique situation I have discovered with them is the fact that I have to use a very high nock point to tune properly, even though the tiller measurements are right on the money.  I am shooting around 7/8in nock high on both of them.  I shoot 5/8-3/4in on my BW's.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
I have a Dorado riser with GMII limbs at 53 pounds.  I shoot it the best of any bow I have owned and like it very much.  I shoot off the shelf with seal skin for plate and rest.  The self has a radius so there should not be any problem with shooting off of it.  It sits close to your hand.

It can be noisy.  However I have learned that if you get a padded three bundle 9 strand FF string with string leaches there is almost no sound. I think the reason they are noisy is because of the string they come with.

As stated above some limbs come heavy about 5 pounds.. Mine did.  I planed for it so I got the weight I wanted.

The nice thing is there are limbs all over the place for the riser.  You can also buy different grip plates.  You can have just about what ever grip you want.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
I also shoot the GMII. 43# @ 28". flipper rest w/plunger.
It took a bit of tinkering to quiet down, but is do-able. Limb pads(DAS), string silencers, and BH adjustment. My BH is at 7.5" , nock @ .5"
I am very very happy with mine. Its quick, and dead in hand. Smooth to draw, and easy to point.   :archer:
Steve.

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Ybuck,
You're shooting the poundage that I'd like to shoot. What do the limbs state as their poundage? Going off of what I've read from other postings, the Hoyt limbs tend to be a little heavier than their stated weight.

Also, does anyone have an idea as to what the current price range is on a GameMaster II or Dorado?

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
George Washington didn't defeat the British with his freedom of speech....he shot them.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowhunter57:

Ybuck,
You're shooting the poundage that I'd like to shoot. What do the limbs state as their poundage? Going off of what I've read from other postings, the Hoyt limbs tend to be a little heavier than their stated weight.

Also, does anyone have an idea as to what the current price range is on a GameMaster II or Dorado?

Good hunting, Bowhunter57 [/b]
my limbs are 40#'ers.
$450.00 here(GMII)
Steve.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
i shoot my gamemaster 2's off the shelf. i just used thick 3m felt furniture pads. and i bought one gamemaster 2 brand new for 500.00 and a used one for 300.00

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©