3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nocks to tight / how to adjust  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
nocks to tight / how to adjust
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
What does everyone use to adjust nocks so they are not so tight on the string?  

Thanks
Mel

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: nocks to tight / how to adjust
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
I have heard anywhere to filing the inside of the nock, putting the nock in boiling water and spreading apart, reserve your string with smaller serving. Just to name a few ways.

Offline CBH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
I soften them by heating them in boiling water then slide them on the bow string.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
I have a glass nail file, like an emery board but made of glass, that i just shove in the nock and work back and forth until sliding freely.  That leaves my nock fitting my string perfectly.  Just wash the glass file after use and it'll last for years.

If you make your own strings then you can also adjust that side of things.  For my file i use 8 strand D97 with 0.19 Halo double served.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I have some new GT and they are so tight that the nock actually comes out of the shaft.

Mel

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
Mel, there are also some different nocks out there that do not have as much pinch. Shoot me you address and I'll send you some to play with. Carbon Express Slim line nocks and Beiter nocks seem to tune best for me. Also let me know what color you prefer. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
I just recently used rough sandpaper to work down the inside edges of my nocks. I had to fold the paper a couple of times to get the right fit and then worked it back and forth a few times inside the arrow nock until I got just the right fit on my string. Makes more of a difference than you think on your arrow flight and speed when your nocks aren't so tight on the string.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
I just use my teeth  :D
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
I use nock inserts that fit in place of the normal carbon nock and then glue on a standard nock.  Works like a champ.  Traded for them on here.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Big Ed,

Sent you a PM.  Let me know what I owe you and I'll send it out to you.

Mel

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
I use a 6 inch bastard file. Put it in the nock and within 6 strokes they fit perfect on the string. One light tap with your finger and they come right off the string. It made a big difference in consitency with accuracy.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of Mercury speed nocks.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
I reserve the string so the nock fits properly.
Its a basic, easy to learn process and the materials needed will last for years.

Or buy your strings from a maker experienced enough to match your serving to the nocks you will be using.

I have no interest in having a compromised, altered nock blow on me resulting in a dry fire or worse.

Steve

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
I'm with SteveB.
I think adjusting the string is the best approach.If your bow is FF compatible,you should have no problem adjusting the number of strands and diam.serving to get a perfect fit.

When I shot split finger,I wanted my nock to hold an arrow if tilted down but release if I lightly tapped the string.

Now I shoot three under and want the string to be able to spin freely in the nock throat but hold with a little snap.This helps prevent accidental dry fire.I've seen no detrimental effects on accuracy with this set up.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Those Gold Tip nocks are tight.  I had not thought about the boiling water I broke one of my brothers bent nocks the other day trying to bend it back.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Like Steve, I reserve the string. I'd rather reserve one string than sand, file, and possibly weaken dozens of nocks.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Now that I did not think about.  I have always been more concerned about the nock end of the arrow giving out but usually think of nicks in the arrow.  Now I got to worry about nocks.  Ignorance is bliss

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Not wanting to step on any toes of those who do obtain nock fit by altering nocks,but

I posted in the shooters forum on this very subject earlier tonight. Have to agree with Steve and Jason about using the right diameter serving.

A while ago I was helping a friend with his shooting and after a few changes his form was solid and the guy was a national level pistol shooter, so I knew he understood focus, but somehow his groups were as good as I thought he could be shooting! Did a lot of filming and I only became more frustrated in the fact I couldn't find a reason why he wasn,t shooting better. OK, I thought, lets recheck his tune and surpisingly his bow wasn't even close to being tuned...while standing there scratching my head, I looked at his bare shaft and it appeared the neck ears were out of line with the shaft.....after setting up an arrow spinner and a dial indicator, we found that most of his arrow had nocks with the ears out of center, some as much as.015 out, which would amount to making arrows another .015 crooked...seems he had been heating his nocks in water and closing them to fit....and after changing all his socks he began to shoot groups more inline with his ability. Later I got to thinking...OK he just wasn't careful enough when altering his nocks, so I tried my best to close the ears and keep them in line with the centerline of the shaft....I did better than my friend, but not by much! I'm not sure a nock can be filed or sanded Exactly the same amounf on both side's and the same from one nock to another.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
OK, I've had the reserving thing shown to work, but...

what if ya have a quiver with some GT nocks and some classic nocks??

Is there a nock that will fit carbons and woods, that one serving will fix the problem? Or, is it a string size issue? The classics are good but, the GT nocks stick on the string/serving.

I've got 11/32 wood and GT carbons. The GTs are simple for video or stump shooting and the woods are hard to setup for video.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by SHOOTO8S:

....and after changing all his socks he began to shoot groups more inline with his ability.  
By golly Rob if changing my socks will make me shoot better I want to know what socks you recommend.  :biglaugh:  

Sorry, every once in a while the English teacher in me creeps out...I'm over it now.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©