3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: of bows arrows and my personel journey  (Read 370 times)

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
of bows arrows and my personel journey
« on: January 14, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Got my first recurve when I was around 10 years old, a 60" Bear Bearcat drawing a whopping 20 lbs. shot a lot of arrows with that bow, can't remember if I ever actually hit anything with it, but I sure did spend a lot of time with it...still have that bow, and it still cast an arrow. Mostly gets used now when there are young kids at my house. Although times have changed, I haven't met a youngster yet that doesn't like to watch the flight of an arrow.

Stepped away from archery in my late teens to my mid 20's...wasted way to much time chasing after thrills that only lead to dead ends.

Came back around to my senses in my late 20's and got back into archery, the compound scene was going strong then and I bought an Oneida bow, bought it because it looked more like a recurve than any of the other compounds. Had it set up with sights and a release, shot it like that for about six months and then took the sights off, went back to a glove and shot it bare bow. After a couple of years I said to myself, "you know, why don't you just shoot a recurve". So I sold it and bought a Martin.

In '96 I bought my first new bow, a Black Widow SAIII, Oh man was that thing sweet, she drew 63 lbs at 28" and I shot that bow exclusively for six years. It was during that time that I really learned how to shoot, self taught, but somehow I managed to figure it out.

Sometime around the year 2000, I discovered the Internet and found out there were all kinds of beautiful bows out there. In 2002 I got the longbow bug, drove all the way out to Bob Morrison's to try one of his Dakota's, and before I left I had one on order. Shot my only pope and young buck with that bow.

But I never could shoot it as well as a Widow recurve. After that I bought and sold a whole bunch of different bows, both 'curves and longbows, but for me nothing ever quite matched up to my Widows. In 2005 I bought a DAS, a frightful looking thing, all black metal riser with no pretty wood anywhere. But man oh man that thing shot better for me than any bow I'd ever had my hands on. My quest for the ultimate recurve was done, I had found "my" bow.

Still, the allure of the longbow was strong, most of them I could shoot ok, in fact I've probably killed more stuff with a longbow than I have a recurve, but when it came to sheer confidence or long distance shooting, the DAS always won out hands down.

And now at this point in my journey, I'm turning a corner, I've made a commitment to myself to master (or make a heck of an attempt) the longbow. The time has come to lay the recurve down. I don't know when or if I will ever pick it up again. But I'm sure this new stage of my journey will be not only challenging but also fun, and memories will be made.

So there you have it... maybe I should change my handle to longbowlarry...  :archer:

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: of bows arrows and my personel journey
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Larry,

Journeys.....  we all have journeys.  You, dear sir, have elaborated more than most.  I do, in my most sincere heart, wish you the best of journeys, whether with the curve, or the longbow.
Best regards in traditional,
Marion

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
It's just to much fun my friend.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
Larry,

You'll do well no matter what you shoot. Have a memorable journey my friend.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Good luck I love them both for different reasons.

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Larry, good luck, my Centaur brother!! I'm sure your understating your skills with the longbow, from what I've heard your already there!!!! Does this mean your DAS is available? LOL!!!
                Jr.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
What...after a gazillion longbows that you have shot and sold, you are going to focus on longbows?

I am so confused. As soon as I stop laughing I will try to figure this out.
   :archer:  

Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Kathy.......  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  It's a good thing I had nothing in my mouth when I read your post, if I had it would have been all over my keyboard!

Seriously, Larry, as much grief as I give you, I know if you commit to the longbow I am not going to want to shoot against you at the Muzzy, becuase it will mean I am in for a butt kickin'!

Good luck my friend.........(so, what do you have for recurves hanging around?)

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Going back to the Muzzy, huh David?

Larry, I think you will do fine....I have seen ya shoot.  :saywhat:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
Your story sounds very familiar. Longbow only since 1979. Most important-have fun.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Matt D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
I bet the DAS would look great with some Morrison ILF Carbon/foam longbow limbs.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »
Larry, That's a very cool thread buddy,always nice to hear about "the journey". I'm sure you're one heck of a shot already with your longbows. But like some of us,never really feel like you're where you want to be. I know when some LB guys read this they'll be shakin' in their boots for Muzzy!

For me, now it's one less guy that I have to worry about kickin' my butt!

Good luck bro     :notworthy:      :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
He does seem to be able to hit occasionally.
This is a pic I titled "Satan and the Magic Bow".

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
maybe I should change my handle to longbowlarry  
Sounds good to me - best of luck.

And let me be the first to say............. dibs on your Gen2 riser  :bigsmyl:  

Steve

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
What...after a gazillion longbows that you have shot and sold, you are going to focus on longbows?

yep  :D  

oh and let me be the first to say I'm much better looking in person  :eek:  

Curt, you hit it buddy, I'm just not where I want to be with the longbow, and probably never will be unless I lay down the recurve.

Steve, I thought about selling it for a bit, but I think I'll just let it collect dust for awhile

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Good plan Larry - and good luck!

Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©