3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: some of your favorite memories from the field  (Read 449 times)

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
some of your favorite memories from the field
« on: January 14, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
tell me a story
My favorite mostly just because I was about to give up :
It had slipped up on me slowly, just a little at a time to the point I didn’t see it coming until it had me in a strangle hold. Maybe it was the constant rain. Maybe it was the long trip. Maybe the hassles with security at the airports and customs that had weakened my resolve but for the first time I sat in my ground blind and was sure I was not going to be successful. Sure I have been on several hunts that I didn’t harvest an animal, you except that as part of the plan when you decide to leave the guns at home but normally I have the enthusiasm of a sixteen year old on prom night and never loose faith until they tell me the hunt is over and I have to leave.

We had missed the main heard by about a week and every thing I had ever read about hunting Caribou told be we were in for a long week. After thirty hours in various ground blinds without a sighting I was inclined to agree. The thrill of the float plane trip was a distant memory and I was close to a full blown pity party. It had been raining great torrents of rain all morning and when it finally let up the clouds were hanging in the timber creating a medieval atmosphere that only added to my despair as I could only seen forty or fifty yards into the open meadow. The trees on the far side hung in a mist and were little more than dark shadows.

When I first caught movement through the fog, I was not sure whether it was real or my tired eyes playing tricks on me. The day before after setting twelve hours I started seeing Caribou in every bush. My heart jumped into my throat when a quick look through my binoculars picked up horns moving my way through the high grass and fog.

Sliding down into the hole that was serving as the base for my newly constructed ground blind, I quickly slipped my bow for its perch and knocked an arrow. There was four bulls slowly feeding my way and they were on a trail that would take them within fifteen yards of the blind. The wind was cutting across the trail but I felt sure that before they crossed my scent trail I would already have made the shot.

The lead bull was a dandy with good mass a single shovel and decent tops but the one I wanted was second in line his antlers sweeping higher and a little wider. I went from way too excited to deadly calm by the time the bulls quit feeding and lined out for the river.

All my focus was on the second bull and I did not even cut my eyes over as the first on passed not ten steps away from me. My targeted bull was three steps away from clearing the brush when the hair stood up on the back of my neck and from the corner of my eye I picked up the first bull hitting my scent trail. He stopped and turned his head to stare straight at me at point blank range.

I do not remember making a concuss decision to take the first bull. I was at this point on full auto pilot. I suppose I had choices when you think about it. I could wait and hope the bull turned back to the trail as I was well hidden in the hole. I could have maybe waited in hopes the second bull would have moved up behind the first offering me a shot But alas I was not in charge. The predator in my soul was in full control and in an instant there was nothing in the world but a little tuff of dark hair tight behind the bulls shoulder. I paused for a second at full draw feeling the muscles bunch in my back and watched as the arrow sliced threw the short distance between us. There was a solid thud as the Zephyer broad head slammed into the Caribou burying into his side up to the bright yellow feathers. Only a hunter can under stand the shot of adrenalin that hit me, when after making three hops into the river my bull crashed head first into the water. I set on the bank of the river trembling my whole nervous system was shot as I looked at one of the most beautiful animals I could ever hope to harvest. As I sat there trying to compose myself the sun broke through the clouds and I sat for a long time admiring this unique country the water so clear and blue you could drink straight from the stream. We all dream of distant lands and trophy animals for me for that one moment in time it all came true.

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: some of your favorite memories from the field
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Sweet dude, sweetest of sweet.  Congratulations!
Best regards in traditional,
Marion

Offline Skinney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
WOW!Thanks for sharing.Congrats!

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Great story Buff! I cant tell a story like you but ill give it a shot.

My most memorable hunt was my first buck taken with trad gear.

My Dad and I were headed to WV for our annual hunting trip to meet up with the regular hunting buddies. The weather is calling for rain the first couple days but what can you do?

Friday morning I set up a tree stand and finally get settled in as the sun is coming up, a few does and a spike come in but the sky opens up and soon its raining. Im freezing and decide to get down and sneak out the top of the ridge, as I get to the top and walk about 20 yards I see something glistening a good ways off. I look through my binos and see a nice buck bedded down looking the other way, my heart jumps into my throat and almost a panic comes over me even for a second I wish I had my gun. Once I calm myself down and look at him again to make sure im not crazy I decide if I can hug the jeep trail and stay low that would be my best chance of getting close, but thats a shot in the dark at best. As I drop to my knees I realize my rain gear is making to much noise and I need to take it off.

Mind you this whole time there is a steady rain, this helps cover the sound of me crawling, after about 45 minutes of me belly crawling and crawling on all fours im about 25 yards away from the biggest deer ive ever had an oppurtunity to kill. I didnt feel comfortable taking a shot at that distance in the rain, I think to myself 5 more yards and your in range. As I crawl 5 more yards and get on my knees I see his rack turn and hes looking right at me, im thinking good job you idiot you blew it but after an intense stare down for about a full minute he turns and looks away again. Instinctively I raise my bow and see my arrow arch perfectly behind his shoulder as he was still laying down. He gets up and takes off down the hill and dies in stride about 50 yards away. After the shot I just sit there and think "What the hell just happened?" My dad will never believe me. Then a whole other surge of adrenaline comes over me and im shaking worse than before I shot.

When my Dad comes to pick me up and sees the horns sticking up from behind the log im sitting on, he about throws his back out jumping up and down out of excitement for me, a moment I will never forget.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Curtis awesome buck great story   :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Great stuff, guys...keep it up...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Awesome bull and story tellin' Buff!  Congrats, and thank you for stopping in and sharing with us!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Both awesome hunters and great story's!
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Three of us were driving down a backroad north of Winnett, MT.  Came over a hill and split about 100 elk.  They were mostly bulls and while running alongside the car, they continued to bugle.  

When they hit the timber, we bailed out and went after them.  I ran about a mile, keeping track of a small group by their non-stop bugling.  Eventually I got in front in a mixed open stand of fir.

It turned out there were about 15 branch antlered bulls chasing one cow/calf pair.  They all passed me about 25 yards.  I shot in front of the big 6 hot on the cow.  The next arrow went under another good 6.  The last 2 arrows went over and under a third good 6 as he watched.  He then calmly walked over the hill as the last bulls followed.

Walked across the little gulley, collected my arrows and got out my diamond stone.  Worst case of buck fever I have ever had.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »

The hunt with my son about 7 years ago. His Howard Hill Bear Cub 40@ 23". It was his 1st Archery deer and the buck was standing under my stand at the shot. That same young man is now running a gun on a Helicopter in Iraq but his mind is still on the hunt. He just e-mailed to make sure I get him in for his AZ bonus points as he will miss this falls hunts.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline going trad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
My most memorable hunt I would have to say would be my first hunt ever, combined with a hunt years later. It goes something like this…

It was during the youth squirrel hunt here in PA. I followed my dad up what seemed at the time to be a mountain, we reached the top of the “mountain” (hill) and we were in a big oak flat, my dad helped me pick a spot to stand. We stood for about 30 minutes and I heard something crunching through the dry leaves I was sure it was a big fat gray squirrel, I said to my dad “I think I hear a squirrel” he told me “ok get ready”, soon after that I see movement, it was a deer, no two deer, no 3 deer, my dad says “stay still”. The deer walk about 40 yards in front of us and my dad says “two of those deer are bucks, nice bucks”, the other was a doe. We watched them for about 5 minutes feeding on acorns and then the 2 bucks squared off and started fighting, it only lasted about 30 seconds and they trotted off after the doe spotted us. I will never forget my first hunt as long as I live.
Fast forward 10 years and my dad is in the hospital in need of a new liver and kidney. Every other day I am up to visit him and he say to me “this is the first year we were not in the woods together on the first day of archery”, I told him that hunting was not top priority. He said don’t worry about me go hunt. I told him where I had been scouting and asked him if he knew where I was talking about and he said he did, that it near where we went for your first hunt and saw those bucks fighting I said yeah that’s the place. That Saturday I went to see my dad and he acted surprised to see me and asked why I was not hunting, I told him again that I had other things to do. He again said “if you mean coming to see me I told you to hunt” so I stayed for a while and went home I started to think about what he said about hunting so I decided to go out for the evening, I pulled off the road and got out of my truck, I started to put my camo on and an other truck pulled up, it was a father and son they literally got there stuff together and ran/jogged into the woods to beat into the woods,  I thought to myself well that spot is no good and I was hunting out of a hang on stand, luckily I had a climber in my truck just incase and decided to hunt a different spot I drove down the road about a mile and pulled off the road, got my climber and started the hike up the hill, it was the same “mountain” that my dad and I had climbed up years ago on my first hunt, I found a tree and got settled in. It wasn’t 20 minutes that a doe walk under me and off to my right then it came back and walked across a power line and into the woods on the other side, about 5 minutes later I see movement across the power line it was a deer coming toward me, I said to my self this doe must be lost, then I saw the rack!!!! I got my bow and stood up. The buck entered the woods, and at 20 yards turned broadside, I shot, it hit low, he ran about 30 yards and stopped. I got another arrow I knew he was hit but I figured I needed to get another arrow in him, just then his tail started flicking erratically and he fell over. As I walked over to him I realized he lay dead just 5 yards away from the big old oak my dad and I stood by 10 years earlier. The next day I took pictures into the hospital to show me dad and told him the story and about where I shot him he just smiled and said “I wish I could have been there with you” I told him “get better and next year I’ll be with you when you shoot one”. The next week my dad passed away. Now my dad is with me on every hunt not mater how cold or miserable (he was never one for poor weather hunting. LOL)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
Cool stories fellas.Goingtrad, Im sorry for your loss.Ive been up that same mountain, my dad passed 15 years ago on this week.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing Canyon!  My thoughts and prayers are with your son.  Hope he returns soon and safely!
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Canyon great stuff right there

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Not archery but my most memorable hunt was a quail hunt where my cousin and I were cutting across a pasture heading back to the truck.  His Brittany came bouncing up from the creek and spit out a very live squirrel at his feet.

When the tree rat regained its senses it climbed the nearest thing it found which was Jack's leg.  After much swatting, squealing, and abnormal gyrations on Jack's part the rat left his 'tree' and headed back to the creek.

The Brittany took chase and caught the rat again and 'fetched' like she had been trained.  The ensuing dance by my cousin trying to keep the dog from repeating the ordeal was too much for me and I was laying on the ground laughing so hard I could barely breathe.

I truly wish I had a video camera that day.

Dennis

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
My most memorable was the first time my youngest son (then two) was allowed by momma, to tag along
with me and his older brother (then five) on his (our) first hunt...all together.

It was warm and breezy, and the October woods were ablaze with color.

We walked and talked, and my five year old taught his little brother everything he had learned about deer hunting.

I will never forget that warm October sunshine.

I hope heaven is just like that.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »
Great stuff guys

Jer Bear

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 02:31:00 AM »
In 2007, I made a commitment to traditional archery.  I shot recurves and longbows before 2007, but I always switched back and forth from trad bows to compound bows.  In Jan of '07 I sold all my compound bows and gained the nickname " The Vegitarian".  This nickname was given to me by my friends who hunt with compounds who felt that I wouldn't be able to harvest much with a simple stick and string.  This fueled my passion even more!

In Hawaii, my friends and I regard the axis deer as one of the hardest critters to harvest spot and stalk.   My first  spot and stalk axis was taken when I was 16, but I shot him with a .308.  My first compound harvest came '03, but  it was always a dream to harvest an axis deer with a stickbow!

4:00 am in the morning and our four wheel drive truck had spun out twice already on the rain drenched muddy road.  It was not a typical morning in Hawaii to say the least.  At 4:30 we parked the truck.  It was wet, windy and freezing cold!  We both geared up and began our trek to one of our favorite hunting spots.  On a nice dry day, it would take us about two hours to the hunting area.  We didn't know how long it would take us that morning.  After a 10 minute walk, mud clung to our shoes adding extra unwanted weight.  We trudged 1 hour though the ankle deep mud.  Boy did the day start off miserable!  Having over 150oz of water in our packs was no fun too!  By the time we reached the hunting area, 3 hours had past, and we were cold, tired and drenched from head to toe, but there was no turning back now.    With all odds against us, we refueled ourselves with snacks and fluids and began our hunt at daybreak.  While crossing the first ridge, we caught a glimpse of axis deer walking through a dry river bed below us.  There was no way that we could cut them off, so we decided to lay off and let them pass, hoping that we could catch them later in their beds. After crossing two more ridges, we spotted another herd.  The wind was in our favor, so we decided to put a stalk.  Dropped our packs adjusted our knee pads for a long crawl.   They were about 100 yards away from us  and feeding away like it was no ones business.  At about 50 yards I singled one buck out.  He was feeding away from the herd and he seemed very preoccupied with the grass that he was eating.  I crawled to 40 yards.  I was trembling like crazy.  My mouth was dry and I was short of breath.  I sat down and tried to   re group.  I had to constantly talk to myself over and over again. Relax, relax, relax.  All I could see was his ivory tips swaying back and forth.  Talk about adrenaline pumping!  I finally made my way to 30 yards.  With his head down feeding, I drew my thunderhorn to full draw and released the arrow.  My heart sank.  My arrow flew right over his back! I sat there and felt like crying.  It was a trophy buck a stalk of a lifetime, and I had nothing to show for it except for a disgusted look on my face.  I went  back to find my friend and my pack.  I found him and he asked what happened.  After I ran out of excuses, we were on our way again.  It was about 10:30 and we made our way over two other gulches.  At the top of one plateau, we came across another herd.  This time the deer were bedded.  We planned the stock and crawled our way to the bedded deer.  Taking the path of least resistance, we crawled on the existing deer trail.  The animals were all bedded in a small pocket surrounded by Kiawe trees.  We finally made it safely to a huge boulder that provided us with cover.  I was after another huge buck.  He was only 25 yards away but I had no shot.  We couldn't move either.  I was pinned down behind that boulder.  There were at least 10 deer around us.  Focusing on the buck, I decided to sit and wait until it stood or moved to give me a shot.  Luck needed to be on our side, we were so close that if the wind just swirled a little, it would be game over.  After about 15 min, the bucks sixth sense kicked in. He got up a slowly walked away to my left.  It was just way too thick to shoot.  I couldn't risk the shot.  His movement caught the attention of a few other deer.  Off to the right, a spike axis got out of his bed and started to walk towards a clearing. I was going to get a second chance.  He made it to the clearing which was little over 25 yards away.  Once again I came to full draw,  picked a spot (white one of course!LOL)! and let her rip.  I was so focused, I saw the yellow feathers spin beautifully to and through the spike.   The four blade Muzzy passed though that deer like a hot knife through butter!  He immediately bolted, but dropped tumbled and flipped less than 50 yards away.  Not thinking, stupid me stood up yelling and screaming scaring everything in a 50 yard radius.   I  hugged my friend as if I won the lottery.   Although I missed the trophy buck, I had just harvested my dream animal with my longbow.It was now my friends turn.  I'm saving that story for another day.  Needless to say we didn't get back home til ten that night! This was one of my greatest hunts of all time.  I had fulfilled one of my greatest dreams as a kid hunting in Hawaii.  Ever since then, I've hunted exclusively with a stickbow and will continue to do so in the future!

My first spot and stalk axis deer with a longbow.

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Great idea for a thread Buff! I enjoyed all of your stories guys. Lets keep this thread going. I am posting a link to a thread I posted about my hunts last year. My favorite hunt from last year is on page 1 titled "DEER, ELK AND ANTELOPE HUNT". I hope the link works.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=068622
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
The hunt I will never forget was my first bow killed deer in 1963 in West Virginia that hunt will always stay with me.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©