3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wheeze grunt in Primal Dreams???  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Wheeze grunt in Primal Dreams???
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
I was watching Primal Dreams again today and was wondering how you make that wheeze grunt noise.

Thanks

Zack
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wheeze grunt in Primal Dreams???
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
ttt
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
I think it's just Barry bending over to tie his boot.

:biglaugh:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
That's a good one robtattoo. LOL
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
Ya gotta be around Barry to learn it...but not too close   :eek:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
Ya gotta be around Barry to learn it...but not too close    :eek:   Doc
Especially if hes been hunting bears in Canada...  :p
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Actually... isn't it kinda ah Team Thing with them   :bigsmyl:

First Gene followed by Barry? Gene has the BASE thing down the best    :biglaugh:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I bought a Drury Bros. call to do it, that work good...they do it with their mouth, but they don't wear glasses   "[dntthnk]"  .  Just try to imitate it, that is about all you can do...there is no trick.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
It's  probably best just to keep quiet in the woods.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
I agree it's USUALLY best to just keep quiet in the woods.. but not in certain situations. None of the three bucks I shot this fall needed to be wheezed in so I kept quiet. But four straight big bucks I shot previous to this year, I would not have killed any of them without wheezing. All were out of range, walking away. I wheezed with my mouth and they all turned on a dime and walked right up to me. It's extremely productive in certain situations. By the way, it's a little hard to explain, but you can imitate it effectively well both by inhaling and/or exhaling air between your teeth. bw

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Just like barry said....sometimes it is, but there's no way I'm gonna let a deer that's out of range get by without at least trying to call it in.

Don't be afraid.....

I've also killed some deer by "wheezing", I do it by inhaling. It's harder to explain than actually do. Just keep playin' around till you get it. It doesn't have to be perfect.....bottom line, at the right time of the season.......
IT WORKS!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
I heard a buck do it a few years back.  He had his ears layed back, walking stiff legged, and he was all puffed up, hairs standing on end.  He looked pissed!  I wouldn't a wanted to tangle with him.

ch

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
I've filmed well over a dozen different bucks make U turns to come right to me just in the past couple seasons while laying down footage for our upcoming DVD sequel to Primal Dreams. I would pass up a buck for one reason or another, let him get out 35 or more yards, then wheeze on film to bring him right back in. You won't often pull one from tending a doe but if he's fairly mature and cruising alone, more often than not he'll come looking for a fight, ears laid back. I do it by forcing air out between the cracks of my upper front teeth. You can bite the tip of your tongue to force air out or jam your lower lip behind your upper teeth and blow air between the cracks. Buy a call if you want but it works just as well with your mouth using no hands or call.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I need more practice though!  :)

Zack
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Barry - Sent you a private message.... thanx

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
I have seen two bucks do it.  Man it is thrilling to watch.  One of the bucks was in Al and the other was just this past year in Ga.  The one in Alabama was probably only 2.5 years old and he didn't have the biggest set of antlers, but he had the biggest attitude by far.  The one in Ga was a pretty nice deer.

Both times the bucks were trailing does.  They were walking and occassionally trotting to keep them in sight, but it was not that hard bird-dogging run.  There was plenty of time fro them to posture, thrash brush and grunt, snort and/or wheeze.

Very cool experiences that you don't get ont he couch.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
Last fall I was having some camera problems and had to ship my camera away for repairs right in the heat of the rut. One afternoon I was on a pinch on the north side of an east/west dry creek. Across the creek I watched a borderline P&Y buck walking parallel to me in the hardwoods. I thought I'd play with him so I wheezed once. He instantly angled down and crossed to my side and came up about 25 yds. from me. Then I saw him look to my left and start to stiff-leg up the hill on my side. Looking up I saw a second bigger buck just standing there watching him. They eyed each other, ears laid back, hair all puffed up, posturing. In a blink they crashed head-on and locked up. The uphill buck was slightly bigger and had an uphill advantage. He easily pushed the first buck downhill, when all of a sudden the downhill buck lost his footing and flipped over on his back. The bigger buck was relentless and kept pushing even though the first buck was flat on his back. The downhill bucks head/neck all twisted around and his legs were treading air trying to regain his feet. As they hit the edge of the creek bed they finally broke apart. The bigger buck then chased the first one up across the creek, then stood there with his mouth open gasping for air. From the spot they first clashed antlers to where they broke apart I bet was close to 75 yds. All this right in front of me... and the video camera in the shop. Sorry guys. I'm sure I started the whole thing with my wheeze. They each thought they insulted each other. After the bigger buck ran the first one back up the ridge across from me, I could have sworn I heard him yell, " AND DON'T EVER COME BACK" (I just made that last part up. :^) Another cool experience you don't get on the couch. bw

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
I shot a six point this past fall using the weez call. I just use my mouth and kinda like a tight O with your mouth,,curl your tounge slightly and huff softly untill go get the weez part,, and if you do do it to a deer don't do it to load,,very soft just enough for him to hear. Worked like a charm for me and the buck was already very aggressive. He just got done with a fight with another buck forty yards from me,,What a sight that was..  :saywhat:
TGMM

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
I tried it on a buck this fall. He was trailing a doe about 40-50 yards away. He stopped in his tracks and turned 90 degrees toward me. He stood there looking for another buck for a while. When he didn't see one he went back after the doe. I think if the hot doe hadn't been so close he would have come right in. I was surprised that he even reacted at that distance. That might have been a time when a decoy would have worked. I've never tried one, but seeing that reaction makes it tempting. Have any of you ever combined the two?
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »
I've wheezed in multiple bucks to decoys. I had one kick the snot out of my decoy on film last year. You'll see the decoy "antlers" fly off on our next DVD I'm sure. This year I wheezed in another decent buck but he wouldn't approach closer than twenty yards of the decoy. He hung up there for over ten minutes on film. When I finally looked over at the decoy I realized why. The wind had blown the head of the two dementional Montana decoy over sideways, making it look like a headless deer to the live buck! Got that on film too. Always remember, when they respond to a wheeze, they are LOOKING for a confrontation. A decoy closes the deal even sooner than when you don't have one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©