3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4 H archery...  (Read 416 times)

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
4 H archery...
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
Our chapter needs a volunteer to be a project leader for the archery part of shooting sports. Since my daughter is one of the kids interested it looks like I'll be the "volunteer"...
Are any of you folks here involved with this program where you are and can you offer any tips or advice?
I still have to do all the paperwork and also go to the weekend seminar for certification in March so we won't be starting up till Spring. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I start...

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4 H archery...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
When my son was actively shooting in 4-H the focus seemed to be more on the wheel shooters.  There were only 3 boys that insisted shooting Traditional. In the spring hunter education competition the tradtional shooters shot against the compounders. It was one class.
 You will need to know some about the Genesis bow if that is still the one that the club uses.
  Hope this helps. You can PM me with any questions if you like.

Best of Luck to You. It can be alot of fun if the other adults will let that happen... LOL
 Thanks
  Ron
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the input Ron. I have talked to the fellow who is the shooting sports leader but his focus is on the firearm sports these days. But he told me that the equipment that the club has are traditional bows. We'll see how much freedom I get if I take over the program. I'm old enough to be some of the parents "parent" so that might give me some leeway...
  ;)

Offline gerryrt4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
Paul,

I'm quite familiar with the Missouri 4-H shooting program...even though I'm not a volunteer leader for archery.  I coordinate the state events for all of the various shooting sports.  Can't give you specific advice about Kansas, as programs are not necessarily the same from state to state.  

However, I'm guessing you will have kids with all kinds of equipment.  A few clubs may provide equipment, but the norm is that the kid shoots what they bring.  It may be an old Bear recurve or the latest compound from Matthews.  Some will have the cheapest equipment mom/dad can buy, another may bring equipment that cost many hundreds of dollars.  Flexibility is a great asset for a 4-H volunteer.   :D  

Just focus on teaching basic skills - no matter the equipment.  On the national level, 4-H encourages beginning archers to learn basic skills with a recurve - though Genesis bows are becoming more and more popular.  But as I said earlier - equipment can vary and in Missouri most of our kids shoot compounds...because daddy is a compound bow hunter.  

Not sure how it is in Kansas, but in Missouri 4-H competition we have seperate classes.  Two compound (fingers or release) and two classes for recurve/long bow (Olympic or Trad(barebow)  

Good luck with your 4-H group.  Just smile and be flexible....and remember - It's about the kids not about the equipment.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks gerryt4,
That's all good to know info. From talking with the guy who used to do archery here I think they do break it down between the equipment classes in Kansas.
I'll have to let the kids with compounds teach me I guess...

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
I used to teach youth/beginner archery, would you like the out line of my lesson plan?
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Wow Mike, that would be great. I have never had any formal training so this would be a big help to teach the kids proper form "by the book".
Thanks,
Paul

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Can't help ya with the tips or advice, but our club make our facility available for the local 4H archery program.. I can talk to the guy running it and see what he is doing.
Damn Nice guy

Offline gerryrt4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Paul,

At the weekend certification class you should receive the curriculum that 4-H uses for beginning archery.  They stress fundamentals.  10 steps to the X ring - beginning with stance (I think).  

Often in 4-H the biggest challenge comes from the age and skill differences among your students.  How do I keep all kids engaged? Listen, ask questions at the weekend seminar - and remember whatever time you give, whatever effort you put forth - you'll be doing it for the best reason in the world...for our youth.

Good for you!

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks gerryt4. I figured they had a curriculum but I hadn't seen any yet. I appreciate the info...  :thumbsup:  
BTW, Arrow Rock is close to Marshall, you ever make it to Mojam?
Paul

Offline gerryrt4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Yup - I'm located pretty close to Marshall.  No, haven't made it to Mojam.  I'm a pretty casual archer.  Just getting my toe in the water as far as traditional archery with an old Bear Grizzly I bought in a pawn shop in Independence, KS about 33 years ago.  Shot it years ago - but it's been at least 25 years since I shot it.  Ha - I have a big learning curve.  Really enjoy this site - not often I can contribute anything, but I do know 4-H.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Well I sure do appreciate the help gerry as I am new to 4H and want to do this right.
Oh, most of us are here "casual" archers, down right informal at times.  :D  
Come on by to Mojam this summer and you'll see just how casual we can be when it's hot outside... I'll buy ya a lemonade when I see ya there.

Offline gerryrt4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Is Mojam in Marshall again this year?  Where do they hold it?  
Any dates for this year, yet?

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Yep, Mojam has always been in Marshall. Should be the weekend of July 17-20. Check the Trad Events forum, I think the Keith has the info posted. It's at the archery club gounds in the park.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©