3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you feed deer during the winter/plant a food plot for them??  (Read 351 times)

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you feed deer during the winter/plant a food plot for them??
« on: January 17, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
I was just wondering if you guys feed deer during the winter with alfalfa bales or anything?  Also do you guys plant a crop for them in spring to have a spot in the fall?

I don't do either if these things as I don't have land, but I was wondering what you guys do.  I know that this will start a baiting issue and I'd like to be clear that I'm not talking about a timed feeder just planting food that they can eat if they want, and bales to help them through the winter.

Let me know what you guys do or think.

Allan

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you feed deer during the winter/plant a food plot for them??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
we feed year round on our place in GA.  we plant food plots, run corn through motor feeders and protein pelleted feed in troughs--we just vry the % protein with the season

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Not in Illinois.  Food plots are OK, but other feeding is illegal due to CWD concerns.   :readit:    I used to put out some 37% range blocks during winter/spring in areas I hunted, but can't anymore.   :confused:    The blocks are like a big vitamin pill and were well used by lots of critters.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
i plant food plots and make the farmer who rents my land pay me with crop left in the field. I do not put food as the deer would then become overly dependent upon me. And i would 50 deer if I had one. ( there are four or five right now up on the hill above my farm house  browsing) as much as i love watching them i think they are better off if I dont put out piles of food.
Make a life, not a living

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Feeding is now illegal in Michigan. My brother and I have put in food plots the last 2 years in the late summer/fall to hunt over. They are buried under the snow now! Thinking of putting in some spring plots to help out after this cold winter. p.s. We only have a couple small plots so I'm not talking a lot of equipment or land.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Deer dig for turnups when the snow is here.
I have corn left standing for the wildlife. And put in a bird mix at home, Sunflower, Millet, Corn, and see many animals in that also.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Nope. I don't hunt like that. Don't have anything against it though. My brother is a huge fan of it.

Years like this they are a big help. Bad mast crop and they are in the ag fields. I keep seeing deer eating grass on the fire break of the place I hunt. Can't find them legally in the woods though.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
I have 2 clover food plots in the timber but they are eaten out by November.  Fortunately, we had a huge acorn crop this year and the deer are still eating acorns.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Feeding can create more bad issues than good, it tends to congregate deer in an area and most likely will be counterproductive.

Deer are browsers by nature, and many have ended up starving to death on the good intentions of people who fed them, then didn't keep it up all winter.  Food plots are an alternative to supplemental food for wildlife, but should never be intended to be an only source....ever.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
We don't sread feed for wildlife, but we do leave standing crops for them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©