3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spring bear advice  (Read 520 times)

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
Spring bear advice
« on: January 17, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Due to a new family member due around June 20th I am unable to make it to Bearquest III this year. Washington State has a Spring Permit season that because I have not been drawn in my previous 4 attempts I stand a pretty good chance of getting drawn this year. Due to the fact that dogs and baiting are illegal and our bears dont hibernate, no salmon or berries, And the woods on the west-side of the state are a thick jungle....What is some good advice on locating a bear. Spot and stalk are out due to limited visibility and Cruising logging roads hoping to spot one is not my preferred method of hunting. I have located some swamp on sattelite photos and found gated roads that can provide access to south facing slopes near the swamp (north side is steeper though) any suggestions? Is it worth looking at swamp? (I was thinking swamp cabbage and trying to think of other food sources)
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spring bear advice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
i dont know about down their but up here they like some sunshine, and the youngest greens on the ground, where ever both meet is a good spot to start

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
In my neck of the woods that would probably be ridgelines because it is a thick mess in the bushes, some clear-cuts but mostly overgrown reprod. we are not as cold and the season will run April 15th-May 31 or June 31st depending on drawn unit.What about mating? do they travel more?
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
what about Sow-in-heat cover scent and calling? ?asking for trouble?

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
you might be wiser to use a cow elk scent and do some predator calling- but sows will leave their young to come to a predator call......either way you better have your bandages with you...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
I see those "bombs" in the stores and was just wondering if they work. It would be illegal in my state to use for attractant so I called it "cover scent" as far as bandages go, if they get past my 550 gr. Bill Sweetlands with 180 gr. Grizzly's from my 70# Damon Howatt I better bring a change of shorts and some Handi-wipes too!!!

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
I think that that those scents "bombs" are legal in Washington. The law use to read that it had to be edible to be illegal and they are not edible so legal. I used to live on the wet side of Washington and could have stuck a lot of bear with my bow if I had a spring tag just stalking old logging roads where fresh grass and clover is coming up. They do love the swamps and skunk cabbage too. Good luck.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
I am sure that they are not legal to hunt with, however I am planning to set a few off in the area I plan to hunt a week or two before the season and hope it brings one into the area and keeps him around. Then put some scent on my boot-pads and watch my back trail. (no napping)

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Mike,

I have never hunted bear in Washington but have spent alot of time hunting them on Vancouver Island just North of ya. In early spring bears on island hit the cuts in search of dandilions. These bears eat upwards of 50#'s of dandilions a day for first couple of weeks out of den. When feeding in cuts they are easy to stalk if you go slow and always watch the wind. They do like to stroll the logging roads in cut areas. If you can get up above ans spot bear moving on roads it's easy if you move fast to get set up ahead or around a corner and hope bear keeps coming. On the island there are many old logging roads that are closed but can be walked or biked. I'd look for such areas. Bear scatt should be all over these roads and you'll know bears are around. I would not waste your money on the bombs. They are good cover scent if on stand but if your not baiting the scent will be gone within minutes and will not do much good holding bears in area.
hunt it

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
Mike we should get together before the per. deadline and see what we can figure out.Myself for one would say some maybe not all but some of the sow in heat type sents that Tom uses in Que'bec are deadly on bores.
I would have to check my notes but I recall one hunt where we used the sow in heat on 7 of 8 stands...I was the one loner guy whom said you must be kidding that stuff does not work and is made to catch hunters not bears.I refused to let the guide us it near my stand...Guess what ? Yap your right.That first year we killed 7 bores and one sow...Guess again who shot the sow ? yap your right again.I was the only hunter out of 8 that shot a female.Now I ai'nt saying they work and I ai'nt saying they don't.I just saying that trip it sure worked good.Well for eveeryone but me........bowdoc

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
B.D. I will talk to you later about this, if you got drawn the season runs before time for you to leave for BQIII, I am thinking Capital Forest because of how close to home it is and have got a few ideas on where from "other" forums and looking at maps and sattelite photos. The area also has turkeys and the season runs at the same time so it is worth checking out. If you get a chance to head down this way (Skook is back in shape) maybe we could take a cruise and "check it out"

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Keep an open mind on the predator calling. I've saw video's where It's worked excellent In Alaska. But then again In Alaska they have twice the bear thus makes for more competition.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Steve I saw a video one time and I'll be darned if I can recall who the hunter was(maybe L.D.Jones) on calling bears.It's supposed to work great in the spring.May be worth a try.bd

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by the real bowdoc:
Steve I saw a video one time and I'll be darned if I can recall who the hunter was(maybe L.D.Jones) on calling bears.It's supposed to work great in the spring.May be worth a try.bd
I can't remember what the video was called that I watched either, I know It wasn't Larry D. Jones. My brother I think has the video, I'll have to ask him what the name of It Is and the bow hunters In It.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
That area is loaded with bear.  Heck the state hires guys to run em with dogs and kill em because they eat the bark on the young trees.

Get high in cut overs and glass the green areas and roads.  You will find them.  Used to see a bunch of bear out on the coast when we were elk and deer hunting back when I lived in WA.

Good luck.

I'd be trying the predator calling myself.  I love to call anything.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Yes Mike I was watching the tube last spring and on our local news was a tree farmer over on the coast who was haveing problems with the bears eating the bark off the base of his trees which does kill some of the trees but not always.The state put in bear feeders for the tree growner.However the bears still eather need or like a certin part of the bark.Its something like cam-be-ium maybe ? however the tree farmer will not let anyone hunt on his tree farm.So I guess the bears may as well just keep eating his trees....bd

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
The excuse they used to establish the hunts was to reduce damage to 25 year old douglas fir trees, seems the inner bark cadmium(?) layer is sweet with sap in the spring. But near as I can tell it is kinda like a rub-line and shows that they were in the area, not that they are still. Reports are that there really isn't that much damage and I stand a better chance looking for them along logging roads while they are eating clover and dandelions.

Offline DoubleLung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
The video was called "Calling Bears - They come to eat" by Hunters specialties featuring Wayne Carlton.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 12:31:00 AM »
http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/seasonsetting/2009-2011_recommendations/spring_bear_232-28-286.pdf  looks like I should skip this year and save my points for next. I live in 501 and it will be the first season (spring) next year with the same (50) number of tags. unfortunately I cannot resist so I guess I will apply and hope NOT to get drawn  :confused:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©