3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: top 5 classic D-style longbows/pics  (Read 1362 times)

Offline shade seeker

• Trad Bowhunter
top 5 classic D-style longbows/pics
« on: January 17, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Ok! thanks for your previous posts on my most recent quest for longbows. I know now that I MUST have a D'style classic longbow! Dang I wish I'd known that a year ago. Oh well I still did discover traditional archery before I start pushing daisy's!
 Now that I know I'm trading in my recurve. Would you please help me further along on my quest by showing me what your opinions are in my search for my next bow! THat is a D-style long bow.

Thank ya

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: top 5 classic D-style longbows/pics
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
I dont have pics but Great Northern makes a pretty one.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
I am going thru the same thing as you.  LOL!!!  From the questions I have asked and information I have gleaned, I would say Northern Mist, Sunset Hill, & Howard Hill should be at the top of the list.  A "new kid on the block" is Apex Predator bows.  You can see a build along he is doing in the Bowyers bench forum here, and he is a sponsor as well.  I have been watching Marty's Bows for a while now and decided to go with him for my first.  I have no doubt I will be happy with my decision.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
to tell you the truth I have a hard time believing they make a bad straight limbed longbow. I always hear bad things about Jerry Hill. But it seems odd that bows that are all copycats of each other would shoot so much worse.

At any rate don't fret over it too much because there isn't a tremendous difference in them like the other bows. The basic premise is a straight limb. So there is no dramatic variation between bowyers because the bow forms all look the same.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline shade seeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
thanks guy's keep em coming! Starting to narrow it down.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
A Mohawk has a mild r/d but still makes a D shape when strung and it is as quiet as anything I have shot.  If you have to have straight limbs check out Apex Predator.  My buddy just got one from Marty and it is very nice.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
That's not exactly true Swamp Pigmy as there are some differences. In your other thread I mentioned the different limb profiles for Hill bows - reflex, straight, and string follow; they are all Hill style bows but shoot differently. You also have varying degrees of each. For example, my Kramer has over an inch of reflex and is a powerfull bow, but it has a little kick to it as well. My Pete George has about an inch of string follow and is as calm in the hand as an r/d but is also a little slower. Then you have bowyers such as St. Charles, and Steve Turay at Northern Mist who add just a touch of reflex which gives better speed, but is still very pleasant to shoot while Craig at Howard Hill and David Miller offer all three profiles. For your first you cant go wrong with any of the current bowyers - Hill, Northern Mist, Sunset Hill, St Charles, Miller, Belcher, Toelke, Great Northern, and Marty (I haven't had the pleasure of shooting one of his bows yet but they look awesome) they're all great bows but definately stay with the string follow to mild reflex profiles. You really need to shoot some bows because your going to have to decide on a grip style as well. Personally I prefer the straight grip, but a lot of folks like the dished and locator grips better. Everything has to fit you or your not going to enjoy it as much as you could. I put some pics for ya on the other thread. If I had to pick the top 5 of currently produced bows that I have owned or shot it would be Hill, Sunset Hill, Northern Mist, Miller, and St. Charles, but don't ask me to put them into order first to last because I can't! Hope this helps and good luck! Ken  :archer:
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
I was under the impression that a reflexed limb was a reflex longbow and a string follow bow was a deflex longbow?

As far as I know a straight limbed longbow is exactly that. A straight limb.

But I'm no expert on the terminology. What I meant is that two recurves at the same length may have radically different designs. True D shaped longbows don't have much variation. If you said "What is a good hybrid bow?". Well there are numerous different shapes. No form may look alike. But if you ask about a straight limb bow the forms will be nearly identical. The only real changes might be handle shape, number of lams, width, it they taper, etc. But they are all VERY similar in nature. I didn't mean to imply they are cookie cutters and one is as good as the other.

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
Fredrick Baron

Offline gordonf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Make your own out of wood. It's not that hard.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Yep your right. Too many people use the generic term "straight limb longbow" when refering to Hill style bows - they don't all have straight limbs.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
John McDonald "Big River"

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
I haven't been a huge fan of straight limbed bows in the past, but they really intrigue me now.  I test drove a Toelke D bow this past fall and it was pretty sweet.  It had a little thump on the shot, no buzz and not sure I'd call it handshock (but that is subjective anyway, best to try them out yourself).  It was super smooth and Ultra Quiet.  I'd bet these attributes are pretty common in this style bow.  

That said, I'd look at Toelke, Fox, Dwyer and of course Howard Hill.  At least, those are the ones that caught my eye  :)

Mike

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
I have had and still have many D longbows.  There are a few that I don't like...but there are two straight limb D longbows that stand out for me...Doc

Frank San Marco and Dave Johnson longbows
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Why does everybody always bad mouth Jerry Hill bows?  I have been shooting one for the past three weeks and can't see anything wrong with it.  Not the fastest bow in the world but a straight shooter.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
I've wondered the same thing myself. I didn't mean for my post to slander the guy further, I just honestly don't know why so many people have a problem with his bow.

Offline dano140

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
I like Mike Mecredy's Longbows! Look him up at Maddog Traditional Archery  http://www.tradstore.com/mta/

Very nice, very traditional, English style Bamboo Backed Osage longbow!
Dan

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
I have a nice JD Berry d-shaped Hill looking bow. Shoots like a dream.
The older I get the better I was

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Don't forget to look at a Mahaska, great longbows!Greatnorthern also.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
I just picked up a Jerry Hill myself, don't understand all the negativity on these bows, I have no problems shootin it, it is what it is, you're not going to get all the benefits from another design in a design like this, "Straight" limbed bows, people need to understand this, the R/D in other bows is there for another reason so lets compare apples to apples & for what I paid, there's no way you could go wrong, you either want a straight limbed bow or not, they are not for everyone but I dont get all the elbow hurtin, teeth fallin out "shock" you here ,,,, Good Luck .......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©