3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: limb crack  (Read 708 times)

Offline chestsprings

• Trad Bowhunter
limb crack
« on: January 16, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
I have a custom Dale Dye take down bow that he made for me in 1990.

I'm going to sell it

He inscribed it:

"61# @ 29 inches, custom 62"

“custom made for Gene Dietrich 90, Dale Dye”

I also bought a Delta Series III quiver from him at the time, which is on the bow.

I have never shot it, another story, & it’s been hanging in my house since 1990.

A few people have expressed a desire to buy the bow.  I took pictures of it to send to them.   At that time I noticed, on each limb, for a better word, “line crack”.    Have no idea when it happened, as it has hung on the wall, only being handled to wipe off dust, & put a coat of furniture polish on it once in a while.  If I run my finger nail over the cracks in the limbs, my nail will not pick up the crack, but you can see it.

Reviewing forums, I see where Dale Dye bows are some times going for $750+.  One of the people interested in buying the bow says, since it’s a “stress crack”, the bow is worth, maybe,    $350.

I have no idea, & this person may be right.

I called Dale Dye on Jan. 15th, telling him about the crack.  He asks me where I lived,
I said VA    

He said, lots of humidity there,       yes.  

He said, it’s swelling humidity”.  Says it’s common in humid weather.  The holes for the bolts & the pins eventually collect moisture over time, & may swell slightly.  The fiber glass doesn’t give, so the limb develops a “swelling crack” in the fiberglass.

He said-his words “it does not affect the integrity of the bow”   it’s all cosmetic.  Shoot it.

I believe Dale, but one of the prospective buyer, tells me its value decreased 50%.

I know people (& some times I’m one) look at the cosmetic of something.  If scratches, etc.  Not interested.

In your opinion, is the bow value decreased 50%.  
Is it now worth, maybe,  $350.00?

Would "swelling/line/stress, etc. cracks" stop you from buying a bow ?

If your bow has these, are you concerned about shooting it ?

Thanks for your replys

Gene
Gene

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: limb crack
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Unfortunately an item is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it.  It depends on the crack and all.  You probably will be hard pressed to get full value for it but don't sell yourself short either.  It may pay off to wait for the right buyer.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline gpa fishin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
gene                                               post this on powwow you`ll get more responses. or ask bowdoc or droptine

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Gene I might step on some toes but it certainly is worth more than that. If Dale said that this hair line will not effect the integrity than I would believe him. Maybe you can post a pic. I have a feeling that the line crack you are seeing is a common occurrence.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline chestsprings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
tukudu,

people are people, I never knowingling cheated any  one in life, & I'm to old to start now. If I sell it, I want a happy customer

1st & 2nd, of lower limb  
3rd & 4th of upper limb.  

Gene

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
someone will tell you for sure, but I don't think that's a big deal.  I've seen it on a bunch of bows, if you could feel the crack you could probably get some superglue or something into it.  Make sure to pm bowdoc and he could probably tell you best...Mike

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
its worth more than $350 IMO iv seen those cracks on bows and never known them to be a problem, now with pics up some of the bow builders on here will be able to tell you what you have there.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
I think someone was trying to get a real good deal! I have seen them a lot worse than that on TD bows and they have never caused a problem.

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
I got one just like it, dale made it in 88, don't believe what they say, the bow is good, go shoot it and don't take 350.00 for it, unless you need money BAD

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
That's pretty common on most three-piece take-down bows.  Many bows that have a few years on them develop cracks extending from the limb bolt and or alignment holes.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
I wouldn't be at all afraid of that hairline crack if I were in the market for a Dye bow.  If you want to sell it list it in the classifieds here and ask what you think is a fair price.  1990 is fairly old, but it sounds like this bow is in like new condition.  

If the bow doesn't sell, you can always lower the price.  The used bow market seems a little slow right now, but good quality bows always attract interest.  I agree with some of the other comments - I  would think it would bring much more than $350.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
I agree with Jason, someone just wants a deal. You won't get full price due to the cosmetic flaws, but half price is ridiculous. On the other hand, I have no idea what a 1990 Dale Dye takedown is worth. I think Whip has the right idea though.

I guess if I'd had it for 18 years, unless I really needed the money, I'd probably hang onto it for a while as prices aren't all that high right now. Lots of folks are just kind of holding their breath waiting to see what the economy is going to do.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 02:34:00 AM »
That kind of very minor cracking is not unusual at all. It isn't even visible when the bow is bolted together. There is no problem with it. I have a couple of bows like that and you will never see any effect to the integrity of the bow. The only integrity I would question is that of the fellow who said it cuts the value of the bow in half.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »
Gene thanks for the pics. You confirmed by suspicion. Nothing to worry about on those limb bases. thanks and good luck.tom
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
You already know what I think!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
The bow is close to 20 years old, what did it sell for new. I know Dales bows are great shooters. The cracks mean nothing, I know bows from big name bowyers and most have those type of cracks around the limb bolt holes. I have seen older dyes go betweem $350-$450 quite a bit so as people said it all depends on what the market is. Post it for $600 and see what happens, I doubt it will go for that, but not because of the cracks. See what happens, Steve O did you offer the $350? Shawn
Shawn

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
No,no,no.  I found Gene on a rifle site and told him about the nice folks here.  Privately I told him somebody is trying to get a deal.  Dale Dye is no great innovator--there is no difference between a 20 year old Trails End and a brand new one. That is not a bad thing either...

Offline chestsprings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Shawn,

SteveO    did now offer me any thing.  he was  one of the first to Strongly Advise me the crack was not a big deal.  He also, has told me,  don't accept a low offer. He got involved in another forum because I ask about a Gene Wensel & Roger Rothharra books I have.  

He has given me very good advice on other things too.  From my dealing with him, he seems like a "straight shooter".

My interested in the selling price of the bow was/is, would members of this forum, if they were looking for a bow like this,  shy away, because of the cracks. Do you have/had simular cracks, on your bows. Did it affect your selling price.

seems like the consensus is most of you would not, if reasonable priced, shy from the bow.  You would also, shoot it, as Dale said.

I don't really need to sell it.  It's been hanging  on the wall for 28 yrs., & a few more will not hurt it.  That said, I would sell it  as I am down sizing some Archery stuff, & books I have had since the 70's.

I really do appreciate the replies, since I have been out of the archery loop for a while.  As I always tell my wife, 99% of outdoors/hunters are great honest people.  to bad over 1/2 of society isn't.

I really enjoy the "Trag" forum.

Thanks
Gene

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Gene,

Good info. I agree that those cracks are very commen and should not take away from the bow. If you price the bow right, it will sell. Dale builds a great bow and has quite a good following. I also believe the market is a bit soft right now and have seen some great deals on the classified section sit longer then normal before being being sold. I think it's a sign of the times with the way the economy is right now. Ask what you think the bow is worth and go from there.

Good luck on your sale!

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
I've had Silvertip and a Pronghorn w/ worst stress cracks than that and shot them both for years.The cracks in that Dye bow probaly happen w/in the 1st year it was built.
Now 4 value? The pronghorn I sold for a thirds it original price and the Tip less than half.Why? because no one would take the risk at a higher price.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©