3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you approach converting a compound shooter...  (Read 1247 times)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you approach converting a compound shooter...
« on: January 17, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
How do you  approach converting or introducing a compound shooter to traditional archery???

I have several friends that bowhunt with wheels but do not have much interest in hunting with trad archery equipment. Now these guys are good hunters and are in search of the Trophy.  And even though they are bow hunters want to have the best equipment available. And they believe that the utmost technology will land them that milestone.

Anyway. I have one friend that I feel is an Excellent hunter and that he could take an awesome animal with a stickbow if he would let it happen.
 I think I want this more than he does, so what do you all think?? Any thoughts on how to let this fellow score with a stickbow?

Thanks for you time and thoughts!!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you approach converting a compound shooter...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
A trad bow will work it's own magic if you can get someone to shoot one.You can't force something on anyone.Help them find a inexpensive bow and set it up.Once they start shooting it will happen, if it's in there instinct to go the next level.Hope everything is well Ron.Hear you had a good year.  :thumbsup:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
I let them ask me - I'm not on a mission.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
"THROW THAT SILLY LOOKIN' THING DOWN AND SHOOT A REAL BOW FOR GOODNESS SAKES"  

well' that's what I'd like to say sometimes but like hill boy said..."A trad bow will work it's own magic". just get one (a lighter one) in their hands and watch them glow. worked for me.   :thumbsup:

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
It's like cars, some like fast and some like the classics. I enjoy using my compound now and then. But as far as hunting I'm not really in for the trophy or the meat, though I would like both. If he sees that any deer you get with your tradbow is a trophy, maybe he will switch.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Bring him to the squirrel hunt and let him see people's attitudes-it is in the fun and with enough time the big one will come-at least thats what keeps me going every year. Maybe this year and if not I will enjoy the journey anyway.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
Walk around with a beautiful bow and have a lot more fun than him....the message sends itself!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Its a good idea of to encourage your friends to try one of your bows at a range or informal shoot.

Beyond that let it up to them and you help them if they want it.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I certainly wouldn't try to browbeat him into it. I think that would only push him away.

I think the best way would be to introduce them to stickbows in a low-pressure way. Be encouraging but don't push if they aren't interested. Some people don't have the time or desire to pursue trad. But, if you encourage  without pressure they may come around eventually. My brother showed no interest a few years ago. But every once in a while he'd shoot mine. This year he decided to get an inexpensive recurve to try. He even took it hunting some.

Sometimes it just takes patience and a good attitude.

Chris

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
I agree with Steve B.  Why are you trying to convert them?  Regardless, set a good example with your equipment.  If it appeals to them, they'l ask for help.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tom:
Bring him to the squirrel hunt and let him see people's attitudes-it is in the fun and with enough time the big one will come-at least thats what keeps me going every year. Maybe this year and if not I will enjoy the journey anyway.
I think this is the best idea.  It's low pressure, great camaraderie and real fun.  It is hard to convince the unwilling though.  I've converted a few in my time with remarkable success.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
For sure don'ttry to shame them into trying Trad.
The bit of smugly implying they are lesser hunters because they prefer compounds doesn't work and only makes the divide between the two worlds greater...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by NDTerminator:
For sure don'ttry to shame them into trying Trad.
THe bit of smugly implying they are lesser hunters because they prefer compounds doesn't work and only makes the divide between the two worlds greater...
;)  

Let nature take it's course.If they want to try then nurture the intrest.Don't push it on them.As long as you guys are bow buds and having fun that's what really matters.  :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Yep Ron, as said above, the best way I've found is just to get them to shoot one. If there's any chance that they'll want to shoot a stickbow, you'll see it when they start shooting.

Zane

Offline gordonf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
They will convert on their own if they are truly interested. Otherwise you're wasting your time - been there done that...

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
The most expensive bow, or the "latest technology" wont matter. Its up to the person behind the weapon. Just let them shoot a stickbow, and they will be amazed on not only how much fun it is, but amazed on what your mind can really do without the aid of fancy rangefinders, and gadgets.  Its the simple things in life...Thats what got me hooked, and the pure desire to do it the way that they have been doing it for hundreds of years. Keep us posted Ron, and good luck.   :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
I'd let him hunt how he wants. Traditional archery takes a lot of time and practice. I wouldn't recommend it for most people honestly.

Why do you want to convert him?
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Nope.
Nor would I try to convert someone to my religion.
You can invite him or her to shoot your bow, or shoot his own bow on the course with you, or to attend your services.

Pressure results in resentment and resistance, followed by avoidance.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by frassettor:
The most expensive bow, or the "latest technology" wont matter. Its up to the person behind the weapon. Just let them shoot a stickbow, and they will be amazed on not only how much fun it is, but amazed on what your mind can really do without the aid of fancy range finders, and gadgets.  Its the simple things in life...Thats what got me hooked, and the pure desire to do it the way that they have been doing it for hundreds of years. Keep us posted Ron, and good luck.    :thumbsup:  
That is a true statement for the most part.  I do have one friend though that has a desire to shoot a bow and is trying but he is the worst student I've ever had.  I'm considering telling him to try a compound for the different type of discipline it is.

Here he is

This guy does pretty well though.

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Why would you want to convert anybody???  Don't make any sense.  Shoot what you want and let them shoot what they are comfortable with.  I've seen more people switch over to trad shooting becuase they see that we are having fun.  You don't have to say anything else and it is their decision without any coercion, as it should be.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©