3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tru-center taper tool  (Read 847 times)

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
Tru-center taper tool
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Anyone used the Tru-center arrow taper tool
3 rivers sells?

Is it battery operated? Do you have to change blades often?

Online Chad R

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tru-center taper tool
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
I tried it and returned it.  They adjusted it.  I tried it again and returned it.  Couldn't get a good taper with it.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I tried one many years ago,didn't care for it.The shaft would not fit in it after you put finish on the arrow shaft.I prefer to finish my arrows before I cut them and taper.

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Wow,

Just ordered one. May be wishing I hadn't

Any good reviews?

What works better?

Offline Dan'l

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
I've used the Tru-center tool for a couple of years.  Finding the proper adjustment for the blades is the key to a truly centered taper.  Otherwise, the taper can easily be off center.  If I weren't so cheap, I expect I'd find a sander setup, either the Woodchuck or some kind of juryrigged sander with tapering jig, would be better.  Good luck!

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
I've used one for years, no problems.  Tapered poc,sitka,yellow cedar, ash, hickory, purpleheart, wenge, basswood, tamarck, laminated birch, maple, poplar, ramin wood, and a few others that I don't remember.  Once their set up properly I've never had an issue.  I've also taken several that people said were "defective" or "can't work" and set them up to work.  The biggest problem is that the come in pieces and have to be assembled.  If you read the directions and have a little patience there shouldn't be an issue.  Just my perspective.  ;)   Good luck. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Aaron F.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Set up they work fine.  Especially they are better than the standard cutters for hardwood shafts, hickory, ash, laminated, etc.  The little plastic ones don't cut the hard stuff well, but it will.  The hardest part is setting up the angle of the cut.  I took a cheap plastic one made a taper on a wood shaft and then put it in the tru-center and copied it.  My preference would be for them to machine in a slot for the blade with the correct angle.  But that said, they can and do work.

Aaron

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
I've used one for years.. Good tool..  The "wiffen" tool, now sold by 3R is about as good as a taper tool can get for 7$.. No adjustment,,, just taper.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
I have one, it works well on POC.  It works well on hardwoods also but I got a blister when I did two dozen in on sitting.  You may want to put your tapers on before sealing, if the shaft is tight with clearcoat, it tends to stick.  Bill

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
I had one and didn't like it. I gave it away.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
I have one and use it but it is not my preferred tool. The realities of variable shaft dimensions and differing woods mean that if you make a lot of arrows you will find that multiple tapering tools are desirable. I have lots of Whiffen  tools-they are excellent for their cost. The BearPaw taper tool is even better in the little compact tools. The Tru-center has a nice depth stop for cutting broad head tapers but is rather mediocre in cutting nock tapers-adjusted to the correct angle mine doesn't cut very well. Where it serves best is on undersized shafts that you can shim with paper-the long guide hole helps center things up.
My Favorite taper tools are OLD Accurate tools with plastic interchangable guide inlets.-I wish that one was still made.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
3 rivers has a handheld tool, actually two of them one the Wiffen mentioned above and the other called the Bear Paw. They are like pencil sharpeners. Do they work?

Sam

Offline cedarshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
I had one, and luckily I was able to trade the set for a wide nylon belt to hang my quiver from. Definitely got the better part of that trade.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I have one and I use my $5 taper tool from 3 rivers instead.  First it had a burr that caused it not to cut right then it was out of adjustment then when I tried to taper ash the blades kept breaking then the screws stripped out.  Not saying it's a bad product, as with anything you get good with the bad.  As far as the blisters, chuck it up in a cordless drill.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
some like em and get good results and some dont.I have one and have done 3 dozen shafts with it.All turned out perfect for me and spin perfectly straight.It does take some elbow grease after you do a few.I dont make alot of wood arrows.If I did I wouuld definatly get a machine style one though.This tool works well for me though and my needs.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Like said I bought one and the first time I tried to use it I couldn't get my finished shaft to fit inside of the tool.Didn't even get one use out of it.Did my first dozen when my buddys pencil sharpener until my Woodchuck came in.Been using my Woodchuck for over 15 years and have done over 30 dozen arrows for myself and friends.

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
I bought one and could never get it to work right for me either.  I'm sure it's operator error seeing as the other fellow on here claims he gets straight tapers out of his.  

I sold it and bought a benchtop disc sander.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I have used one for alot of years. I have mine set up to make a flush match between the shaft and point. It does have it problems but so does every other product out there.
I still have one of the old accurate taper tools as well. I got mine from Don Brown years... ago. I was into real heavy bows then and the one adapater did 3/8" shafts.
I also have the woodchuck and would not be without . My hands cramp up holding the Tru-Taper for more than 6 shafts. The woodchuck allows me to do as many dozens as I want at a time.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
I had one, never could get it to not  tear the wood grain especially on the low angle point taper. I turned it into a heavy-duty muskie lure & it's now out in the middle of Sand Lake, near that drop-off where the loons always nest.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©