3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strange things happen....  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Strange things happen....
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
I'm still shaking my head over this one... Some of you know that I shot a sheep last year with a stone point so that's where this story starts.

A week or so ago I got a call from a guy who had tagged along with a buddy on a sheep hunt this year in the same area I hunted. His buddy had shot a nice sheep and given him a hind quarter for helping out. As he was skinning the quarter out he noticed something odd just under the skin near the knee joint. Here's what he saw...

Here's what it turned out to be after he cut it out.

He knew I'd shot my sheep last year with a stone point so he called to quiz me about it as it's not every day you find something like this. As I wrote in my story originally I'd not found the point I shot my sheep with and apparently this is why.

OK here's where it get real strange, I shot two stone points at sheep. The first one I watched shatter on the rocks under the sheep I was shooting at. I have that arrow on my work bench minus the point.

The point in the picture is certainly the point I shot my sheep with...  The arrow penetrated to the feathers when I shot the sheep and he bolted into the brush with arrow showing on both sides. The only other sheep near him at the shot was the ewe he was chasing by the way. I recovered the back half of my arrow but couldn't find the front half with the point. I have my theories but curious to hear yours...
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strange things happen....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
That is amazing! I remember reading your story. The odds of finding that point are probably worse than winning the lottery! I am anxious to hear some of the theories.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
Maybe it collided with another sheep after the shot?
That is strange for sure!! Amazing.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline LONGBOWKID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Arrow broke, front half fell out, hit the ground shaft first, sheep ran into it, breaking the head off in its leg...

Thats the only thing I can think of...Stranger things have happened...
Turkey Creek Longbows
60" 46#@29"
62" 51@29"
62" 61#@29"
62" 77#@29"

Holm-Made Osprey
60" 67#@29"

Offline oldpaths

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Maybe as your sheep bolted into the brush there was more sheep in that brush that you did not see and in the process of all the sheep running for safety the one with the stone point purtrudeing from it's side had a kind of collision with the one your friend shot thus snaping your point off into not so vitals. To bad your sheep did'nt have a better aim  :D  kinda gives new meaning to the term snap shooting  :biglaugh:
Colossians 3:23

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
No clue, but it's very perplexing and remarkable!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
I've never been very good at figuring out mysteries, and this one is no exception.  I don't have a clue!  Every theory I can think up sounds so implausible that I can't even take a wild guess. :confused:    :confused:  

Definately the same head that you last saw sticking out the side of the sheep that you shot and eventually recovered?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
Would that be the shattered one that had enough force to penetrate into the hind quarter???

Or did That sheep happen to bed down on that point????

amazing what one can find when we look hard enough!!!

Blueline
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Mick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
Amazing!  Some things are better kept a mystery.  
Mick

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Weird!!

It appears the point entered from the back side of the ham, pointing to the front of the leg/knee?

Sorry Doug, I'm not familiar with your story on last years goat, so it's a guessing game for me on how the point got there in the ham.

I just have to say that's quite an awesome experience.

God Bless, David B.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
since it was near the knee it might've stuck him from the ground.

I lost a broad head out of my quiver this year in the wire grass and I worried about someone getting impaled in the shin just catching the point wrong on a forward step.

on a smaller scale my feet get stuck with tooth picks on accident when they fall to the carpet and stick at an angle. Same premise with the arrow.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
remarkable!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
When Rock hit Rock, Broken piece glanced up and made penetration into your first quarry?  Sounds like a good theory to me   :goldtooth:    :goldtooth:

Tell ya why later

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
Dang swamp pygmy how many tooth pics you got in your carpet. Just teasing, I actually had that happen once too.  AS for the arrow head I am really looking forward to hearing your theory.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 04:13:00 AM »
I know a guy who was cutting some bitterbrush to make a blind at a waterhole for antelope. He was seriously cut on the leg- and didn't even notice it until a friend asked how he had cut his leg.

After some first aid; they searched the area and found an old ( presumably) stone head that was almost completely grown over in a thick piece of bitterbrush- they had walked by.

The thought was that somebody a long time ago had shot at an antelope and hit the branch- and the branch grew around it. Just a bit of it was sticking out and did the cut on the leg ( and on his pants too).

Perhaps that arrow you shot got stuck in the brush; and the sheep impaled itself on it. It looks like that is the inside of the leg; which would make even more sense; as the opposite leg might have contributed to the situation.

The only other option would be that someone found the point and used it on their own arrow; and that seems very highly unlikely.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
That is just one of those things you can talk about for years to come, over a camp fire, with some buddies.  :thumbsup:

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
My theory is that the one you shot recovered enough to take the stone point and mug another one who didn't give up the goods quickly enough.  So the one you shot stabbed him.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Iron Bull:
When Rock hit Rock, Broken piece glanced up and made penetration into your first quarry?  Sounds like a good theory to me    :goldtooth:      :goldtooth:  

Sounds good to me too.  

What an amazing way for that point to come home.  Put that one in the medicine bag!!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
@MO

actually a freakish amount. I get teased about it. I usually have at least one sticking out from everything I eat. If I'm eating a brisket sandwich or something it looks like a pin cushion. But they really seem to like falling out by my computer desk when I'm wearing socks. lol.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
I believe that is the right hind leg and it looks like the point went in behind the knee and traveled back.It would help to know which way your arrow angled and which side it exited.If your sheep had the arrow out his right side,angling forward,they could have passed each other going opposte directions.If your sheep had it exiting his left side angling back,they could have been going the same direction and this sheep impaled himself,trying to pass on your sheeps left side.This all,is assuming I am right about the leg pictured being the right hind leg.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©