3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strange things happen....  (Read 1151 times)

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strange things happen....
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
I think Iron Bull has it correct
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Regardless of what happend mate that point now has some serious MoJo on it. Better keep it in your pocket from now on.

Thats what I would do anyhow.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
I guess it would be nice to see what came out of the second animal, or is that what we're seeing in the hand?

If we are seeing the point from the second sheep, then I would have to say your dead sheep and the second one had a CLOSE ENCOUNTER!! Before you retrieved you sheep....Kinda like the BUMPED together during the escape!!!....WOW now that would be some slim odds right there....And a SHARP STOUT Head

Just try wrapin ye head around that THEORY...Stuck by your brother...........

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I'm not sure but It sure will be interesting to find out.  :thumbsup:

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
I've seen pretty strange arrow trajectories after first going through a game animal and then glancing off rock...including going straight up into the air.  Sounds like something similar may have happened here...just happened to be a ram in the way when the arrow went wild.  One thing is for sure, this is the stuff that camplore is made of!  
  :campfire:  

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
First thought would be a Glance...Doug says

"The arrow penetrated to the feathers when I shot the sheep and he bolted into the brush with arrow showing on both sides."

No chance Glance there..Had to have happened after the shot and before retrieval, I would have to think!!

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Iron Bull said.....When Rock hit Rock, Broken piece glanced up and made penetration into your first quarry? Sounds like a good theory to me

That's what I think happened also
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Way cool story Doug......get this....

Skyler Wilson shot a hog and it ran off with the arrow showing out both sides ......when the arrow came out the head penetrated the hog again making another wound.

I recon that could have happened to yours.

Man, what are the odds of you getting that head back???????
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Hey Gang, been nose to the grindstone, literally...  Glad to see all the responces and like my other Brother Michael said, this is one that can go on and on. Maybe we can discuss it over some more of that Apple Pie stuff sometime  ;)

The pieces in the "hand" picture are what was in the sheep's leg as shown in the first pic. I thought about the point laying on the ground and this sheep somehow getting stuck by it. Not likely, you cannot even imagine all the sharp rock and stuff in this area that these sheep deal with every day of thier lives. There are thousands of tons of shards and chips of flint rock everywhere, it's like walking on acres of broken glass in places.

My other Brother Vance's first theory I hadn't thought of before. I can't imagine after the head hammering the cliff under the sheep that it could detach from the shaft and still be intact enough to penetrate another sheep on a glancing blow.  

The only thing I can imagine is my running sheep impaled this other sheep with the point sticking out of his side...

Oh yea Terry the odds of getting that point back are about zip... The guy figures it's a pretty cool trophy  ;)  Guess I can't fault him for that...
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
You guys are really over thinking this one. It's quite obvious what happened here. When Doug harvested his sheep there was another sheep in site that witnessed the entire hunt. This sheep believed that Doug would be back next year after him and realized that he didn't have a chance. So he decided that it would be easier to just throw himself on the exposed broadhead stuck in the stone.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
:saywhat:  

That is STRANGE!

Interesting though that the stone broadhead didn't seem to harm the muscle much.  I found a Thunderhead and a section of 2613 in an elk shoulder.  It was encased in a baseball sized mound of gristle.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
Hey Doug...is he gonna give you your head back?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
No idea what happened, it's quite the story. Doug, how far away from where you shot your sheep did your buddy get his? I would be trading buddy whatever it takes to get that head and making it into a necklace!
hunt it

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
So I take it you don't remember if that's the head you used on your first shot or on the ram you took?  Very cool none the less.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Wow, what an interesting development!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
What I find impossible about the running into theroy is the head penetrated the inside of the leg. Or did I misunderstand? If the head had penetrated the "inside" of the leg that would tend to rule out the running into theory I would think
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
Again,and I didn't get an answer to this,I don't think that IS the inside of the thigh but the outer(right thigh).I might be wrong but if it is the inside of the thigh,you should be able to see the thigh bone.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Just visiting with Doug and Jim your correct it is the outside of the hind quarter. Not the inside.

Ain't it nice to be right once in a while   :biglaugh:

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
The other thing we need to know is,which side of Doug's sheep did the head exit on?Sheep no. 2 got stuck behind the right knee,angling toward the rear.If Doug's arrow came out his sheep's left side,angling toward the rear,then sheep no.2 must have passed on sheep no.1's left side and got poked.If Doug's sheep had the exit wound on the right side,angling forward,then the two sheep had to pass each other going in opposite directions.Doesn't anybody watch CSI?

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Wow this is getting complicated... My sheep was shot right to left, arrow angling slightly forward. Sheep #2 was stuck in the right hind, outside right at the knee with the head pointing fwd.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©