3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sight for recurve?? (info needed)  (Read 381 times)

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Sight for recurve?? (info needed)
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
No its not for me so relax and you trad police need not read further yes i want to put a sight on a recurve.

So my girlfriend has taken a big interest into archery but enjoy shooting a recurve and she shoots it well.  We would should 2x a week for weeks and she was grouping nicely out to 12-15 yards and for just learning her for is sorry to say it better than mine haha.

She has gone back to school and now she doesnt get to practice much but enjoys shooting still...but she can't group "like she use to" now that she shoots less frequent.

My question is what type of sight could I get to put on the recurve and where can i get it?  Yes I can drill into it if need be its just an old galaxy bow that is laying around.  I dont want anything to big or to bulky to clutter up her sight picture just something to give her some reference when shooting.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sight for recurve?? (info needed)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
Don't worry, sights have been put on recurves before I was even concieved.     :bigsmyl:     I know when I get to the age when my eyes start to go bad, I won't hesitate to put one on.

I think most any sight would work, but if it were me, I'd stick with a really bright single pin to avoid confusion.
 My brother in law has this one on his wheels but I think it would be a great recurve sight. It stays super bright in low light conditions, I was surprised. You can adjust distance with a few clicks. I have found them for a few bucks cheaper on the auction site and other archery dealers.
 http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=TBNQXARSFBNE1LAQBBJSCOVMCAEFIIWE?id=0026400416525a&type=product&rid=0180101070502&cmCat=perf&cm_ven=performics   &cm_cat=yahoo_non_brand&cm_pla=archery_sights_peep&cm_ite=pro%20hunter%20micro%20bow%20sight&_requestid=13008
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
DAS makes a Trad sight called the SRF Hunting Sight.  It's sold by 3 Rivers (http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=8176X).

This is  not a pin sight, but a "sight picture" sight. When I got back into recurves a few years agoI tried it and found it to be KISS simple and extremely effective.  More so, it was an extremely effective tool to teach sight picture at various distances.  Eventually I found it had trained me to the point I was as good without it as I was with it.

Still, if I had an SRF Sight on each of my recurves I would be 100% confident that after a lay off I could pick each individual bow up and lay them in there like as if I had practiced regularly with it.  It's that good...

When my son (career Army) wanted to try Trad a couple years ago, I sent him down a CM H1 with the SRF sight on it, arrows, and all the doodads needed to get started...

BTW Arwin, a big part of the reason I went back to Trad was age related near vision issues. My distance vision is superb (thanks to Lasik!)   but my near vision is to the point where I can't see open sights on guns or pin sights on bows well enough to shoot them anymore...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
thanks for the info guys!!

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
what about something like this guys?

http://altservices.eu/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/004348.2.110949494017263203

i want to keep it very simple

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
There's usually a few people selling old tape-on recurve sights on that large internet auction site for a few dollars.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I like the SRF.  It is a great training tool and I'm thinking seriously about hunting with one next fall.

Rusty will be along after work and he has tried them all.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Use a wooden match to start, see hoe  she does and than invest some money. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
I agree with Shawn you can rubberband or tape on a toothpick or mathstick size piece of wood just dip the end in some bright paint..
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Use a wooden match to start, see hoe  she does and than invest some money. Shawn
That's the old method my dad always told me.  :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
the SRF is fantastic IMO.  :archer:
Steve.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
thanks for the info guys ill test some things out!

Offline red44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
From EWBateman, a couple simple sights.
 http://www.ewbateman.com/Miscellaneous.htm

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a picture of one of the SRF sights mounted? I tried searching with no luck.

I ask because ever since my second back surgery I cannot find consistency with a recurve and actually used a compound last season.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©