3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Could someone post a pic of Martin Stick with added rest?  (Read 245 times)

Offline Lt. Dan

• Trad Bowhunter
Could someone post a pic of Martin Stick with added rest?
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
I'm missing 12 inches left at 20 yards when shooting the stick.  It seems like the arrow is falling off the shelf a little early.  So I duct taped a piece of plastic for a shelf that sticks out almost an inch and that solved the problem.  Except that it looks like shooting a dove with a 20 gauge at 10 yards, feathers everywhere.   Could someone post a picture of theirs to give me an idea?  Thanks.
"Bring your passion and leave your ego behind."

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Could someone post a pic of Martin Stick with added rest?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Keep in mind I'm am new to the sport, almost 2yrs now. When I ordered my first longbow(used turkeycreek 41#)I went to a shop and tried a martin Stik. I came home sick to my stomach, I thought I'd made a huge mistake getting into trad archery. When my bow showed up a reluctantly went out and shot it. I was instantly amazed at the difference between the 2 bows. I have since shot a dozen other bows and by far that stik was the worst shooting bow I have shot to date. Now if your arrow is falling of the shelf,(i had the same problem at first) it's because you are torqeing the string. When you draw make sure the back of your hand stays flat. Draw back real slow and as soon as the arrow lifts of the shelf you know you've done something wrong, let off and do it again, it takes some practice but you will get it down.It seems to me that maybe right at the end of the draw you might be cupping your wrist. I think I had a easier time with a tab at first than with a glove too. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will pipe in here. Also if this is your first bow and you are shooting over 45# you are asking for problems IM0. Shooting that far left might be that you are not getting your eye over the arrow or your not relaxing the fingers and if you pull at release you left shoulder is shifting, I suggest getting real close to your target and then at full draw look at your bowhand knuckle and orient it to a spot on your target, after release see if it is in the same spot. If it isn't you need to work on that. If you dont have a book on proper alignment, get the book by Tony Camera-shooting the stick bow.It will be the best 20$ you'll ever spend for everything trad archery.- Steve

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Many people have tremendous problems with the stick. I got bad news for them though. It shoots fine if you have good form. But it demands it with no compromise. I bought it to learn form and it works perfect for that. It'll teach you how to shoot a bow. Now I love it fine. I shoot it as well as any other bow fine. It's all about form.

But it is by no means a forgiving bow. But it is true the arrow falls off the narrow shelf. It's a just a tiny shelf. Extend it and you should be fine. Worked for me.

Wooly Mammoth ivory.

South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Lt. Dan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
The arrow isn't falling off on the draw, it seems like after the release it's slipping off just a little.

Swamp Pygmy, is that ivory flush with the rest or is it above just a little?  

My stick shoots fine with that plastic rest added.  But I took it off because it's cutting up the fletching.

Thanks
"Bring your passion and leave your ego behind."

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Try shooting more off your hand than relying on the shelf to hold your arrow. Move your hand level with the shelf.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
My son has a Stick and it shoots just fine for both of us. As Arwin said, you need to have your hand about level with the shelf, which is what I like on any bow by the way. Also cant your bow. Shooting a Stick held vertically is an exercise in futility.

Another thing to consider is if your arrows are spined correctly for your bow. The Stick is NOT cut to center, so correct spine is critical. If it is too stiff, your shaft is hitting the riser instead of bending around it, which would make it feel as if it is falling off at the last second. If the arrows are just a little bit too stiff, they will usually hit the riser with the nock end and kick right (right handed shooter). If they are a lot too stiff, they just won't bend around the riser and will head left due to contact along most of the shaft. To avoid cutting your fletching, try shooting cock feather in.

As you can see, there are several possible causes. As Pygmy pointed out though, the bow isn't usually one of them.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
It's raised a tiny bit higher. But it is ramp shaped.

How long are your feathers? I shoot 4in.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©