3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who shoots wood?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
Who shoots wood?
« on: March 10, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
I lucked out when I bought my arrows. I know nothing about them but they fly like darts and they are fast. I thought I would lose alot of speed switching from Aluminum But not much if any.

A few ?s
Does the heavy wt penetrate better or worse?  
Does it realy matter if there is a little bend in them?
what are yalls thoughts on WOOD?
Is it deer season yet?

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who shoots wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
heavy weight does help a little in penetration and if they are bent they will not fly true everytime or they will hit the target on an angle and everybody knows that is not good!!!!
St. Joe River Bows

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
I touch mine up when they start showing any kind of bending... I use ash shafts and I really like the heavy wood with the 160grn points does a number with my 160fps bow. I need a scale to double check but mine are around 700grn total weight.

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
As a hunting arrow I prefer wood over any other type as I like making them and don't find some of the draw backs like not being quite as consistant as alloy or carbon to be much of an issue.I can even live with a little bend,,,but not much.As for penetration,they get the job done.
As a target arrow,I do prefer carbons for the extra speed an consistancy.
The fact is "for me" if I'm hunting, I'm only going to shoot one arrow "I hope" so keeping that one arrow and it's couple of quiver mates straight isn't that much of a problem.For small game I will go either way.
I like wood but it's not a big deal.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
i shoot any thing i can get my hands on woods ali carbon as long as they fly out of my bow straight and do the job.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 04:14:00 AM »
That is all I have shot since 1996 except for The arrow I used to kill my Kudu which was a peice or fether splicing art made by HooDoo Arrow for my Africa trip.  Eveything else has been wood and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
Wood makes a great arrow and unlike popular opinion you don't need to spend alot of money for "good" wood arrows...most straight-grained wood materials, parallel or tapered, will do fine.  You just need to pay attention to spine and the shaft grain, and build them properly. Which isn't rocket science.  Building them carefully...isn't that true of anything worth doing?  The added bonus is that it's actually fun making them.  

Unlike the other materials even a slightly 'unstraight' wood arrow will fly well, but its best to check and straighten them occasionally.  Again, easy.  

Like the other materials wood works well for where hunting arrows are meant to be used...at close range.  If you like shooting targets at 30-40 yards then yes, other materials will have an edge due to their lower weight for a given spine range.  But if you like the self-satisfaction of doing it 'like they used to' they are hard to beat.

Some say wood is too inconsistent to be reliable.  I've found them to be MORE reliable than carbon re nock and insert 'integrity'.  It doesn't matter if on impact the shaft is tough as nails if the nock and/or insert disappear somewhere between the release and the finale.

For hunting there's nothing like using a self-made wood arrow...as they did long before carbon was even a twinkle in its plastic manufacturer's eye.

Wood...its good.    :)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Wood just feels and sounds right out of a wood bow. I left my aluminum arrows with my compound when I sold it. This morning I am finishing the cresting on some spruce shafts and then I will fletch with some Oregon turkey feathers. It's just plain FUN! Now I have to wait until April 15th to see if I can get some more feathers by way of shooting a turkey. The circle of life continues.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
Yeppers I love everything about wood. My father used to have an archery shop and I would help him assemble the aluminum and carbon arrows for our customers. I have no idea how to build wood arrows I have built every arrow i have owned until this year when I got my first POC. What tools do I need and how much will I spend to get started building POC arrows?
Is it deer season yet?

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
Everything TSP said. Cheap wooden dowels spined on a cheap homemade spine tester will fly as well as anything if you know what you are doing and you pay attention while you are doing it.

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Is there a book I could buy . I dont know how to build a spine tester I dont know how to seal or what types of glue to use  I know basically nothing.
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
there are lots of books and vids, and a number of buildalongs.   I just finished my first woods and love them, in spite of having a lot of doubts as i went.   I did my buidling as a buildalong and posted it at  www.howardhillshooters.com      scroll down to:
"Dick Makes Arrows".

I'm sure there are buildalongs from better arrow makers.  My only claim to value is that I included all my mistakes... at least if I already made 'em, you don't have to :^)

I shoot Howard Hills, and had been using alums... by rights, the alums should shoot better than my woods, being manufactured to much tigher consisancy.  Not so... the Hills love the heavier weight of the woods and shoot them just great.    I'm about to start 2 dozen more.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
Hey great job  and great advice. Looks it will be awhile before I start this as I am on a SSGT and cant afford to buy all the gear yet. Probably next year for sure guess I will just loose or break what I got now and just buy another dozen for deer season
Is it deer season yet?

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
txcookie,
Here is what you will need: 1.spine tester 2.grain scale 3.fletching jig 4.taper tool. 5. Some way to straighten them. Some people do this by hand, I do that too some times, but I also have an old device called a fontier arrow straightener that works real well. 6. If you use full length or natural feathers, you will need a way to cut/shape them. I'll try to give you an idea on how you can expect to spend....

1. spine tester. You can spend anywhere from 100 to 280 dollars on one. They all work pretty much the same. You can build your own in an hour or two that works just as well for less than 20 bucks. If you're interested in that, give me a pm.

2. Grain scale. Anywhere from 10 to 80 dollars. The ten dollar job isn't as accurate as the others, but it will work well enough if you're careful. I think the 25 dollar digital job is the best deal going here. You can also make one of these yourself for next to nothing. I tried once according to some plans I found, but I couldn't get it to weigh the same arrow to the same weight twice.

3. Fletching jig. Anywhere from 27 to 80 dollars for a good adjustable one. 3 Rivers just came out with the 27 dollar job, and they aren't in the business of selling junk. Again, you can make one of these yourself. I've seen plans but I never tried it.

4. taper tool. Anywhere from 8 to 30 dollars. I bought the more expensive tru center tool. It's biggest advantage is that it can taper any diameter shaft. As far as the cheaper ones, you'll have to buy a separate one for each diameter. I never had a problem with mine, but some people hate them and swear by the cheaper ones.

5. straightening tool. Some people do this completely by hand, but I think a tool makes it a little easier depending on what kind of wood you are using. Some people just use a large eye hook to do it, others use a screw driver. I LOVE my discontinued Frontier arrow staightener. If you buy a tool for this, it can be anywhere from 12 to 36 dollars.

6. feather cutter / shaper. You can buy die cut feathers and by pass this, but if you don't use a very long fletch, many times you can get two fletchings from one full length feather. And even if you can't, you can still splice two shorter ones together. A tool to cut or shape your feathers will cost anywhere from 20 to 100 dollars. I cut mine with scissors but I made a very simple jig that helps me cut them very precisely. It cost about a quarter make. If interested, pm me.

If you want to make them fancy, you can spend a lot more on the tools to do it, but this is all you need to make good, matched arrows. BTW, cheap wooden dowels can make very good arrows if you know what to look for.  Hope I didn't leave anything out.

Austin

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
You could check Making a Simple Arrow on my site. Jawge

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Txcookie, Jawge knows of what he speaks when it comes to making arrows from scratch.  The dogwood sprouts and wood staves are still green on the stump when he starts his bow n' arrow projects while most of the rest of us cheat with store-bought ingredients.  Jawge, you da man!    :notworthy:

Tx, check out Jawge's website if you want to make your own shafts "from scratch".  Just don't let him talk you into wearing a loincloth and painting your face weird.  Some things are better left alone...

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
I shot tapered Cedar, aluminum (2020, 2215), and Beman 400 ICS.  All weight 620-630 grains.  I hunt predominatly with wood, and occassional 2020 will get thrown at a hog.  The carbons are weighted with 100 grain broadhead adapters and weedeater line.  But the arrows with soul are the ones I like.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
Lots of options with wood. You can come up with the exact finished arrow weight easily. Choose from Cedar, Birch, Doug Fir among others. I'll let the experts debate the heavy-arrow-penetration thing. Get them as straight as you can-but they don't have to be perfect-the most important thing is your nock and point tapers, they have to be as good as you can get them. Find a good wood supplier and get them familiar with your needs. When it comes to wood, there is nothing quite as expensive as a cheap shafting! LOL!!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 02:41:00 AM »
Each type of wood flies a little different than another; density of the wood I would guess is the reason for that. I shoot POC plain old cedar; and they do just fine; at 25 dollars a dozen they are cheap enough for the rocky ground I hunt in.
 I have to straighten them; which you can do by hand; just push the curves straight. I use the palm of my hand to do it.
 spray paint will keep them covered; so will spray urethane. Pretty cheap.
 Then using fletch tape you can mount the fletch in a helical pattern 3 or 4 feathers. Precut fletch is cheap.
 A clamp is great; but you can do it without one ( see history of american indians ).
 a taper tool that works for the nock end and the point end: is less than 5 dollars delivered.
 Nocks are cheap too.
Best thing you can do- is to go to a trad shoot and shoot other peoples arrows until you find the perfect shooting one- then find out what type of wood and spine it is.
  Let the 'spensive' stuff start when you are hooked on it  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©