3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hey shrew-ers !  (Read 656 times)

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey shrew-ers !
« on: January 18, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Hi,

How do you shrew shooters do to hunt with the very nice but unfortunately shiniy finish of the shrew bows ?

Thanks.
Phil

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hey shrew-ers !
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
My first Classic Hunter has a matte finish and is dark, but still shines more than I like, so I use a snakeskin bow sock, no biggie. My second Classic Hunter, currently on order, will have a real snakeskin back and as dull a finish as Gregg can manage. If if I have to use a bow sock on it as well, no biggie. Fact is, except for the wood bows I make myself, and even some of them, I've never owned a bow that didn't shine too much for serious hunting. I've always used spray-on camo paint, tape, or a bow sock. That way you get to enjoy both ends -- the glow of a lovely custom bow, and a serious camo finish for hunting. Dave

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
The matte finish is no different on my Shrews than any other custom bow I've had.  Not a big deal.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Many years ago, in the early John McCullough made Shrews, they had an automotive finish that was very smooth and pretty shiny.  Later on John put a matte finish on them with Thunderbird Endurance Epoxy, which is what I have done as well since 2003.  

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Thanks Gregg, so I guess I've bought an early John McCullough made Shrews. Well I guess I will use a bow sock

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Phil of the woods, what you can do is apply a liberal amount of wax on the bow and omit to polish it.

At the end of the hunting season, then you can polish  ;)

Good luck with a great bow
F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
what kind of wax do you use Frenchymanny ?

Thanks
Phil

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Hey friend,

Any auto wax kind, even the floor wax kind, just don't polish it and the shine is gone!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
No problem with mine. Seem pretty dull.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
I use Paste wax and THEN Green Camo Make up Here and there to break it up a bit, End of season it Buffs Right off

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Never had a problem with the matte finish on my Samaria.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
Buffing lightly with 0000 steel wool takes the shine off too. Keep your strokes running in the same direction, use light pressure, and don't overdo it. Or you could always send the bow to someone who knows how to reapply a new matte finish on a bow. I certainly don't know who that would be in southern France, but there ought to be a number of artisans there who could handle the job. Gregg Coffey could probably help you with the process.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
You can put spendex longbow limb covers on them.Called limb skins.They come in a few different camo patterns.I use them on my bows.They are lighweight and fit tight and dont effect the performance of the bow.They protect the bow finish as well from scratches and scrapes.Alaska bowhunting supply sells them for 17$s

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
My grey Super Shrew Delux is a 2002 model and isn't shiny at all. Must be a matte finish. No problem, in fact don't set it by a tree in the bush because you will have a time trying to find it later!!!
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
I have a SuperShrew and a Chameleon. The chameleon does seem to have more of a matte finish/look to me it is super good camo in the woods. The SuperShrew I have is the lam brown model it is not super shiny but I think the lighter color wood stands out alittle while sitting in a dark oak tree which is where 90% of my tree stands hang. I put a set of the fake copperskins on the limbs it disappears in the woods now the colors match the fall oak leaves in this area perfect! I am really happy the way both my shrew bows blend into the woods.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
x amount of animals iv killed with my shrew never complained about the finish   :D  
never even thought about it myself the problem you speak of does not exist for me
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Problem with wax is the stink, which tends to rub off on everything. AK Bowhunting Supply, for one, makes a soft cloth sock that's loose-fitting and adaptable to virtually any length bow.

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
I did put some beewax that use to make the bow strings and the shiny is gone.
Thanks all for your imputs.
Phil

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Shine?...my nose shines more than my bow.    :goldtooth:

Personally I don't like to cover up a pretty veneer. As for snake skins, they're fine, I've had both Diamond Back and Copperheads on my bows but I get tired of lookin at dead snakes and I usually end up selling them. I much prefer the look of an exotic wood....just a personal choice.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
I have a 'shiny' Supershrew, its been my main hunting bow for the past several years.  I really like the looks of the shiny finish but when I hunt I simply put a thin coat of brown waterbase craft paint, applied with fingers, on the bow back.  Cheap, covers/dulls the shine nicely, matches the bow color (brown) and doesn't stink like pastewax does once it dries.  Plus it'll rub off fairly easily when I want the shine back.  You can't beat glossy for a pretty bow, and can't beat matte for a hunting bow.  You can have both.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©