3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your thoughts on Selfbows?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Your thoughts on Selfbows?
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I just ordered one of Mike Mecredys (Mad Dog Archery) bamboo backed longbows in Osage and was looking for some thoughts on these type of bows. I have never shot one and wanted one for going to shoots/events but, was wondering how they perform for hunting. The bow will be 69", 45# @ 29". Appreciate any and all input.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline huntinoly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your thoughts on Selfbows?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I love them I would not hunt with anything elce. Killed my first bull elk this year with an osage self bow 57# @ 27" and 700 gain ash arrows. I got a complete pass thru at 18 yards. Greg

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Now that's impressive! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
No reason a primitive bow shouldn't perform well for you, it's just a matter of gaining your confidence in it's use and shootability.   There are some more concerns with maintenance of an all-wood bow, but many will perform right up there with their counterparts.  Good luck!  

By the way, you can check out our successes in the "Memorable hunts" forum, look for the "Baker season so far..." thread ( or something like that)
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Mark, I just skimmed through your thread and I must say those are some fine animals taken with this style of bow. I was wondering, what are the more concerns with an all wood bow? Is there something special I need to know to take care of mine when I receive it?

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
First, a bamboo backed bow is a "laminate" bow even if it is all wood. A self bow is made from a single piece of wood. All wood laminate bows are right in there with glass bows for performance. You are going to like shooting it.

Care of wood bows:

Unbrace (unstring) them when not in use. You can leave a glass bow strung forever without effecting it - as long as it is not over heated. But, a wood bow will slowly take a permanent set if you leave it strung for a long time. It is fine to leave it strung all day when hunting or shooting.

Don't draw it farther than your usual draw length or let any one else with a longer draw shoot it. Again, this can induce set.

Arrow tuning is more critical for most wood bows because they are not cut as far to center (or even at all towards center) as bows with risers. Arrows at about the spine rating per draw weight are in the ball park, ie. 45# spine for your 45# draw weight bow. You may need 5-10#'s either up or down from there depending on your form and arrow length & tip weight.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
All wood bows are not as durable as their fiberglass counterparts, and they certainly will not last as long.  They may last for many years, however.  Fiberglass tends to mask any flaws in the wood, whereas an all wood bow will eventually show it's flaws, not only natures, but in design and miss-use.  

You must unstring your all-wood bow after every hunt/shooting session to maximize life.  Also, an all-wood bow is near it's breaking point at full draw, and given that it may have only so many shots in it's "bow-life", it is wise to shoot such a bow a bit quicker.  In other words, if you are a "snap shooter" your bow will last longer than if you "hold" at full draw.  Not to discourage or encourage your shooting style, but these are things to consider.   Wood has a memory, and it will show it much sooner than fiberglass bows.  

Also, they may be more susceptable to environmental changes...something to consider.  

So, I hope this does'nt "scare" you off....think of it as being more "in tune" with your bow, and your hunt.  There is a whole lot of satisfaction in hunting with these bows and they have soul and character unmatched in more modern materials.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Not scared off at all but, as for environmental changes, I live in Oregon and it rains a lot in my area. Anything special for wet weather?

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
Just a word of warning...........It could become another, ummmmm ba, good habit!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
As long as an all natural materials bow has a good finish on it, you should not have problems with it in the rain.  All materials, despite the best of finishes will acclimate to their surroundings.  Sustained high humidity will cause higher moisture content in wood or bamboo.  This doesn't necessarily mean your bow's performance will suffer noticeably.  Lean on your bowyer for specifics on the bow you have.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Listen to Mark Baker!  Wood bows are functional artwork and capable of taking any animal in North America. Must have confidence!!  Good luck.

justin
Hill

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
I have made a number of bows backed with Bamboo (Osgae, Ipe, Hickory)  All have performed well.  I believe the Osage to be the best, but honestly the cast vs. bow draw weight seems to be about the same in all of them.

To me, it really depends on your preferences and what you want to do with your bow.

My niche is the Mountain Man Rendezvous 'primitive' archery events and Historcial Reinactments.  It becomes an issue as to what the organizations or sponsors want to define as "primitive" - "Traditional" - "Historically Correct"

If you do not intend to particiapte in shoots that have 'specfic rules' then you can shoot whatever you desire for what you can afford.

If you are concerned about certain traditions or historical correctness, you need to know your subject well and choose according to those guidelines.

Overall, I don't think you can beat Osage for a bow wood and Pacific Yew is my next choice.  Some of my events will allow a laminate backing, but many that do will require the backing to be a natural material available in the historic period that the organization is trying to replicate.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Selfbows have worked for me for many years and I hope many more! Only type of bow I shoot now a days. I wouldn't hesitate hunting anything with them.
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input folks. I really appreciate it. As I stated, I really wanted this bow to take too some shoots but, now I'm thinking I might dedicate a couple of weeks during deer season to hunt with it.

Mike informed me last night that he was running about 13 weeks out for production so, I've got some time to look into the hunting aspect. I am going to use cedar shafts tipped with some old bear razorheads that I've got on hand. Will that be a heavy enough arrow? Or should I go with a heavier tip. I think the razorheads are 125gr.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Flatstick makes some of the prettiest selfbows out there. I got to handle one this past weekend, it was/is a piece of art, not just a bow
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Flatstick, could you post a few pics of some of your self bows? I would like to see your handy work.   :thumbsup:

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
I think they're cool.  :cool:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I've been hunting with selfbows since 1990. There is no need to worry about their efficiency, accuracy or durability. If it's a well made, well tillered bow shooting arrows that "fit the bow", you'll do just fine with them. I have bows with thousands of shots and have never had a finished bow fail.  Heat is a definite enemy, so store your bow, unstrung, in a nice place away from heat sources. Keep a good paste wax finish on the bow and water will never be a problem. Mark's advice is right on.  If someone else wants to shoot your bow, make sure they use YOUR arrows to avoid overdrawing. Be sure to explain that an all wood bow should be shot without holding at full draw for very long. I think Mark touched on that. My buddies call me a snapshooter and worse, but I just tell em I don't take all day to pick a spot. Ralph
Building Bows Is Only Half The Fun, The Other Half Is Passing That Knowledge On!

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Wannabe 1, here is a link to some photos that I have on WebShots. Nothing fancy, I only make a couple a year for my daughter and me. But your welcome to look at the pics. I'm telling you,selfbows can be addictive!   :scared:  

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/70604484aBKPGW

And here is a link to some lucky days with the selfbow

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/69533600IJgheI
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Flatstick, you're killing me!   :bigsmyl:  Those are some nice looking bows and animals taken with them.   :thumbsup:  Thanks for sharing as that just boosted up my desire to hunt with one. I wish I had a shop or garage to learn how to make my own.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©