3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ethical distance  (Read 1128 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ethical distance
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
I don't have a set yardage limit.  Depends on the animal I'm hunting, and the situation.
I"ll second that
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Stick_N_String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Terry Green:
I don't have a set yardage limit. Depends on the animal I'm hunting, and the situation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------
I"ll second that
---------------------

I'll put a third on that. I couldn't tell you if it was 20 or 25 yards. I just know when I look at the animal I'm hunting whether or not I can make the shot. The closer the better, that's where the challenge is for me.
Daren
"Measurement of life should be proportioned rather to the intensity of the experience than to it's actual length"~Thomas Hardy

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
I received advice on this very subject from the fine folks here.  As it was stated to me "If you should you will and if you shouldn't you won't."  Some of the best advice I've ever been given.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
I'm with T. Green

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
20 yards max but the closer the better.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
My personal shot distance for hunting stays home when I go target shooting. 3D isn't hunting, and even if I won't shoot a real deer at 40 yards, I don't see anything wrong with shooting a foam deer that far. As a matter of fact, I find it a lot of fun and it helps me a lot when it comes to killing real deer at 20 yards and under.

York rounds were shot out to 100 yards. NFAA field maxes out at 80. These things came about long before Allen ever went to the harware store. Yes, bowhunters often took shots a lot further back then than we do today. But they also understood that long range proficiency makes short shots a no-brainer.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
Bonebuster- Very well said!

As for myself, bow hunting to me Is up and close hunting. My farthest shot ever has been 21 and 22 yards, both were doe's that I double lunged. My shooting distances vary depending on how good I shoot before I head on out for a hunt. Some times Its only 15 yards, the next time maybe 20 to 22 yards. For the most part It's usually In that 18 to 20 yard range. Traditional bows don't have the fastest arrow speeds out there and allot can happen when we start getting out to that 25+ yard distances. Allot of steps can be made by that animal regardless If we think It's relaxed at 25+ yards with our slower bows. I don't ever see myself shooting any farther then 25 yards. I haven't tried It yet and believe me I've had some great P&Y bucks at that range that I let walk on by. It sure Is fun though practicing at 30 to 40 yards and It has made my shooting better at 20 to 25 yards by doing so.

Each to there own though.

Offline pooahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
I've had trouble with alerting deer if they're right up at point-blank distances.  Those suckers can hear you!  For me it's easier to draw back undetected if they're out at least 15 or 20 yards. Helps if they're distracted too. A key to getting a good shot is not spooking the deer any more than you have to.  

That goes for bow noise and broadhead whistle as well.  Anyone who's participated in a broadhead 3D shoot can tell you how noisy they can be, sometimes due to tuning and sometimes broadhead design.  It helps to pay attention to this before the season.

Anyway, 20ish is a good distance for me.  Maybe a little farther if conditions are right.  Not that it's much like hunting, but I do shoot pretty accurately way farther than that on the 3D range.

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
:campfire:  
With ideal conditions I'll go with a 25 yard shot but I perfer my shots to be under 20 yards. The last 5 does I put in the freezer were no futher then 20 yards and as close as 11 yards.

:archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
20 or under. under is better good fun stalking
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Yep, what Terry said......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline JESSE69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I'm pretty conservative if I feel comfortable with the distance I'll let the string go.  :goldtooth:
THAT PUTS YOU IN ONE POSSIBLY TWO CATEGORIES,SUCKS TO BE YOU AND BETTER YOU THAN ME.    JOKINGLY OF COURSE

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I figure if you know you shouldn't take a shot but take it anyway, it was unethical.  Distance doesn't really have too much to do with it.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
I practice at unknown ranges; and up and down hill. When I PACE off a shot I take with total confidence and make...its normally 33 paces.

I have shot deer at longer ranges; my elk shots have all been closer; and too the bear shots ( 17 all under 16 yards) I have shot over antelope at 45 paces.. But my favorite shots are the up close ones that I hit the spot on. This year it was 2 1/2 lengths of my bow- and I liked that shot better than I ever thought I would.

Ethical is knowing your within your abilities; and feeling confident about the shot.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
I want 20-22 yds, but honestly like around 8-10 yds. When I went on a bear hunt the baits were right around 15-18 yds and I felt comfortable with that.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
At the 3D shoots is not only fun but educational to shoot longer ranges.  My friends and I have launched arrows a good long distance at targets.

When I am hunting things don't happen like at the range.  When I make a shot it developes quickly.  I see the opportunity.  My mind either starts looking for a way to better the  circumstances, or my mind tells me, "I can hit that".  In the first situation my concious mind starts figuring how to get a better shot.  In the second situation the shot is away.
After the shot I can pace off or take a guess at the distance if I wanted, but I don't really know.

This is the results of practice under lots of situations and distances. It works.  Worrying about the exact distance doesn't help.

BigArcher

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
This isnt a questions to make generalizations on.

It depends on your ability and maybe you aiming system. Some people are not being ethical if they take a shot over 15 yards. Some people can reliably hit at 35 yards.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
One's ethics are for each to decide for themselves and then live with those decisions. Laws are decided by groups, ethics are a more personal matter. There are many things others do that don't fit my own ethos yet are legal.

Each shot is a new situation and whether I take the shot is decided by many factors based on my experiences and practice. I decide my limits, you decide your own.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
after taking loads of deer with wheel bows out to 45 yds i have come to the conclusion that anybody that is consistant on whitetail deer past
20 yds with traditional bows has my utmost respect these animals are speedy with lightning reflexes!

every hunting situation has differint variables
trust your ability to make the shot that comes,
if it don't feel right don't take the shot!

mans got to know his limitations quote [Clint Eastwood]  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©