3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what the heck happened here.  (Read 435 times)

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
what the heck happened here.
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:24:00 AM »
I was bare shaft tuning my goldtips and I had them shooting nice and straight in the target and just stacking in their tight even at 20 yards.  I had to work for 7 days and could not shoot my bow but I fletched them with 3 5" feathers and shot today and they shot terrible.  Do you think that those feathers stiffend the arrow spine enough to make a visible difference? I am normally a pretty consistent shot at 10 yards and thats where I tested from.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what the heck happened here.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:36:00 AM »
Couple of things....

1) You haven't shot for a week, so it's more likely you shorth drawing sightly (You do warm up before you shoot, don't you?  ;)  )

&

2) At 10 yds, an arrow hasn't come out of paradox fully, so is still 'wobbling' in it's natural flight.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:28:00 AM »
I'm with you, I stopped bare shaft tuning for the same reason. I used to bare shaft tune. Get perfect bullet, then put three 5" Fletch and wango tales all over the place. Now I tune to the arrow I'm going to shoot.

Offline Tom D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:38:00 AM »
I've had that same experience. I found rotating the nocks can help some. Could be fletching causing them to kick a little? At least I think that is what I was having.
 You can add point weight to see if they straighten out, if not check for fletch contact.

TomD

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »
I don't like an absolute straight flying shaft when bare tuning...I'll take a slightly weak(even more than slight sometimes), slightly nock high shaft...put feathers on them and they'll be just right.

Plus I think that when hunting most shots are taken at awkward positions, and stiff after being still for a long time, or maybe the "first shot of the day" in the morning(again,not warmed up)).....so the tendency is to short draw just a bit,so a slightly weak bare shaft will work better for you there too.....

I find if I get a bare shaft too perfect, when fletched it goes the other way, too stiff....

Slightly weak is more forgiving than slightly stiff...

So yeah, try a little more point weight and see what happens...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
Never had any luck bare tuning arras, always do it once fletched. Sides it's way too cold up here to bare tune anything, I always shoot better when dressed warm!  :goldtooth:
hunt it

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
I have experienced this with a few bows that are cut past center. The bows that caused the most difficulty were the ACS CX and the Dalaa.
John

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
I agree with Guru, I do the same and have them flying like lasers. Also if you look at the Ashby Report on bareshafting he will say the same thing, keep them alittle weak maybe 1/2 from center and fletch them, then they will be perfect. Good luck.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
OL suggest slightly weak as well.

Steve

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Guru is right on. The bare shaft needs to be weak. Feathers will stiffen spine enough to get bad arrow flight. It is possible to add the extra weight (15 grains for 3 fletch)to the nock end of the bare shaft and get a stright in bare arrow that will be right after fletching.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
I'm not an expert but could the fletching hitting the shelf be causing the arrow to kick?  Have you rotated the fletching?  Cock feather in vs out?

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
"I had them shooting nice and straight in the target and just stacking in their tight even at 20 yards."

This is typical when trying to get a bare shaft to fly "straight". Fletching doesn't make them stiffer, they are too stiff to start with. Trying to get them to fly a bit weak, nock left for a right handed shooter, is a subjective "guess" at best. Use the planing method with either bare shafts or wide fletched broadheads and quit guessing!  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Adding weight being feathers or lead in the nock end will make the arrow act stiffer..... It has nothing to do with feather ticking the shelf...
If you add 15 grains for 3 5" feathers another 10 for a wrap, with 25 grains you can bare shaft the arrow straight in a little nock high. The fletched arrow will fly perfect. Provided your release is good.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
"I have experienced this with a few bows that are cut past center. The bows that caused the most difficulty were the ACS CX and the Dalaa."

Yep, this is very true..The proper starting point for tuning with fingers is a nocked arrow's point about 1 shaft diameter away from center. All being cut "past center" does is gives you the option of using thicker or thinner side plates, it does not mean it should be shot that way...O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
lots of good advice on this thread. never did like bare shaft tuning much, might be because im self tought or im impatent and want to skip as many steps as possible. its worked so far
Crossstickspro, Not my name ... more of a goal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©