3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 25 years to the day with my Jeffery longbow  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
25 years to the day with my Jeffery longbow
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
Today its 25 years ago, that I bought my Jeffery longbow!

There were others before the Jeffery, but none which I kept or shot that long at all! In fact, I've shot my Jeffery LB for about 15 years almost exclusively! I can only guess how many times, but I may have propelled several 100.000 arrows with her - during our journey - and she is still going strong today!

There are no tip overlays or any other fancy structures. This good and plain working design is as appealing to me now as it was back in the day, when I bought her. There are three maple laminates under black glass, the outer one tappered. There is a warm reddish brown colored and straight Shedua grip section, with the original leather still intact. I suppose this 68" bow would be called a 'D shaped Hill style LB' in the pygmy sized reflex-deflex world of today?! The serial is #308 and she offers 63#@28"

Unfortunately I was never able to take her on a single bowhunt during the past 25 years (blame our sh$*ߧ laws). If I had the chance to go at all, I always took a (Jeffery designed!) Bear Kodiak TD, for convenience of traveling. But as far as hitting my target is concerned, I tend to believe, this is the one I am most accurate with.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 25 years to the day with my Jeffery longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
Now watch this:

This picture was taken in 1985, showing both of us as we were still young, slim and determined ...

This picture was taken in a similar fashion but today, Jan. 19th 2009. Its a little hard to see, but believe me when I tell you, that it is the very same arrow as seen in the picture above! Though, I had to make a new Pope style quiver once ...

BTW: I've never had any other glass backed longbow then the Jeffery!

If you have any Jeffery bow, please post some pictures and tell the story. Never mind if it is a recurve, as I would be interested to see them as well.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
thats an awsome story,,
TGMM

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
That's cool!!     :thumbsup:  

Is the lower limb supposed to have so much more bend in it than the top?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
Very cool indeed   :thumbsup:

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
That is very cool. Great job of reproducing the original composition. I am not familiar with Jeffry bows but have to agree it hard to beat a D LB for hitting a small mark. Thanks for sharing Falk.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Falk, great to see your post. That is fantastic you are still shooting that bow. I see it has been well cared for. I am not familiar with that make bow, but I do enjoy the "D" long bow. I have two long bows made by the same bowyer that I think will be life time joys. Hope you enjoy another 25 years with yours.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Congratulation to you and your lovely "bride" on your silver anniversary, Faulk.  :)   Planning another portrait for the golden?

Steve

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words and your appreciation guys.
I should be really glad if I can get away with the next 25 years too. I have some doubts here though, and not for the bows side that is   :readit:  

Guru,
the "wrong tiller" has to be an optical illusion and is probably caused from canting the bow about 15° to the right. In the "shot from the past" I held it more or less vertical and the photo is taken more perpendicular to the bow.
But, now you made me worry a bit and I'll have to check for it on my tiller tree later - just to be sure ...

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Falk, I always knew that you were a man of discerning taste and keen intelligence. A Jeffery
Mity-Mag Classic was the sixth bow that I was fortunate enough to glom onto. I ran across it at an outdoor show in Chantilly, VA, and no, I don't remember the day. Or the year! I would have to root around considerably to come up with the receipt or other documents.

I had never heard of Jeffery archery. I had been so far out of the loop, that I had never seen wood lams under clear glass before. It was as beautiful to me as  my first glimpse of a horse. The name of the man selling it was vaguely familiar. I had my doubts, but was so enthralled with the bow, a shaky 47# at 28" between my eager hands, that I saved the question for later as to why the name Howard Hill sounded familiar. I could work into the weight, I figured. Now...how to pay for it!

By delaying a payment to my husband, I could do it. It took two checks. One was a deposit, and after a "zebra conference" and a showing of the bow to Mockingbird, I wrote another check for the balance. I strutted through the arena for the rest of the evening, checking out other booths (JD from PA was there, I remember) and generally having eyes only for my new bow.

I visited Howard down in Warrenton once after that, to buy arrows and try out another bow. I ran into him again at the BBTC a couple of times, always thanking him for introducing me to this bow. I learned, did research, found out that Howard Hill was really a sleeping legend, and that this man had the fortune to carry the same name. And that Owen Jeffery was much more important in my life than I had ever realized.

The bow gave me a purpose, as I was hunting already and now I had the bow that I wanted to bring home meat with. I ran into a knapper at Baltimore shortly after buying the bow. I was starting to REALLY make arrows at the time, and I watched Ed Wentzler do his demo on the grass.

I cracked a joke, and he used it as an excuse to give me the arrowhead he was making. He said he needed to "pay" me for the right to use the joke again. He asked the weight head I was using, and finally presented me with a head about 2 grains lighter. He made a ceremony of it, and I had to promise to hunt with it.

Oh,   pleeeeze don't throw me into that br'ar patch!  :bigsmyl:  

Over the years, I bought more heads from Ed, and expanded my arsenal.

The fourth year I carried that head, on my homemade arrow, I took my first bowkill. I was stillhunting, and took a doe fawn. It was a beautiful morning, it happened as though scripted. I made sure she was dead, and raised the bow to the early morning rays of the sun. Energy was flowing all different ways. I cried, I laughed, I said thanks to the many. The drag to camp was light and joyful. I was full of a calm knowing that I was part of the Whole, that many circles had converged at this one point to make it all happen and tell me so.

It started to rain a little as I got to camp, but I took some pictures. I had to. This is me and Ashley. My broken arrow is in my hand. The follow-up arrow, sans head, is in the quiver. That second arrow was auctioned off in a set at the Saint Jude's auction last year, and Iron Bull has it, along with a scanned copy of my hunting journal account of this event.

Dunno why I cranked up the blue in this one. Maybe I was too orange.

After the shot

I have a lot of bows now. Fancy bows. Prettier, faster, more stylish. The Jeffery is my treasure.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
No worries Falk...I'm sure it was made that way,cause it looks the same to me in both pix...

Don't worry,be happy...just enjoy it bud.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Killy,
thanks for sharing your Jeffery story and the nice pictures. And sure enough, you did your magic to the words again - as always! And that "Howard Hill" thing is way cool.
I am very pleased to learn how you think of me   :o   now I will only have to work up to it ...

A Jeffery always has some class, not?
I have to admit that when I bought the longbow I was already in love with the Bear Kodiak TD. It was love on first sight! But, there was absolutely no way to get hold of that bow - as it was so terrible expensive.
As I could not afford the Kodiak TD I thought to play it all traditional and stick with a longbow. I had to sell my Wing recurve to raise the funds, as the Jeffery LB was not cheap over here either. I think I made a good choice then..

Only several years later did I get aware of the fact that Owen Jeffery had formerly worked as bowyer for Bear Archery and had actually made the Kodiak TD prototype risers for Fred Bear - which were ever so good looking to me ...!

BTW: I still have the bill - thats why I still "know" the very date  ;)

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Now thats pretty neat.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
Hey Guru,
I bet its a tad shorter than the top.

I bet thats how they got that bottom limb stronger,, If memory serves me right your bottom limb has to be a bit stroger than your top limb,, something about the bow dynamics or something,,LOL,,

Nice blue and borders Killi,, you always have some really nice looking pics,,I enjoy them alot,,JB
TGMM

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Great story from you and Killy. Love the Jefferys.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Pretty cool, and to think, I was just thinking yeasterday its been 1 year that I've been shooting a longbow, 25 years , I'm jealous!!!!!!!! Good stuff there Falk!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Gray Fox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
I have a bow that is almost identical that I believe Jeffrey made for Dan Quillian to sell as the Bamboo Classic.  It has three lams of bamboo rather than maple, and has long slender tip overlays of what looks like walnut. I bought it from Dan in '88 or '89. I was shooting it just yesterday with some of the remaining stash of 23/64 woodies I got from Dan at the same time.  It sure is a sweet shooting bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©