3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you care for and store your Wool items ???  (Read 371 times)

Offline RightWing

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you care for and store your Wool items ???
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Let me pick everyone's brain on the subject of Wool storage and care.......

I am a self-proclaimed "Wool Fanatic", I mean I love the stuff...!!! I have lots of wool hunting garments (pure/mostly wool) a bunch of wool synthetic blends, and wool "Knit" garments. I also have a wool Bison Gear pack (First Trip Explorer).

My question for you guys today, is how do you store and maintain your wool garments and other wool hunting items for the longest possible life of the item? i.e., protection against mothes, carpet beetles, rodents, moisture problems, rodents, Etc... Etc...???? How do you care for them during hunting seasons, between hunts, and how do you store them long term after the weather permits lighter garments/clothing..???

Thanks in advance for any and all replys....  :)

Keep'em Sharp..... and Good Hunting ...
"Misty Morning, pungent autumn leaves, flicker of white, musk in the wind..... Let the fun Begin"

Offline RightWing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you care for and store your Wool items ???
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Anyone?
"Misty Morning, pungent autumn leaves, flicker of white, musk in the wind..... Let the fun Begin"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Off season, I store them in sealed plastic bags in dressers, under my bed, etc.  During hunting season, I don't do anything special.  Usually air them out for a few days before hunting.  During season, I just hang them up at the end of the day, brush off mud and dirt after it dries.  Might wash or dry clean a garmet once every three years or so.  Been doing it that way for more than 40 years.  Haven't had any critters chew on my wool yet.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
I just wash it in cold water and let it air dry and either hang it in the closet or leave it in my backpack until needed. Never have dry cleaned any of it. I have never had any issues doing it this way.

Offline str8sh2ter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
i've got one of those plastic bins with the latch top.I stuff everything in there and close it up til next season.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
I am a new wool convert and I think I will put mine away for the winter in a plastic bag, or a tub with gallon bags of cedar shavings laid on top of the clothes. I will poke air holes in the gallon bags of cedar shavings. I would DIE if moths eat my Ullfotte' longjohns !!!  :scared:  

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
I bought 15 sets of German surplus wool back in the late 1980's and haven't had any incidences of moths,etc...bothering them. I have one military duffel bag dedicated to the wool items and keep them in there until I need them. They are sealed in plastic garbage bags inside the duffel with a few of the "earth scent" dryer sheets. These and the military wool 5 button gunnery sweaters are about all the wool clothing I have,nothing expensive.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
I currently store mine during the off-season in large rubbermaid storage bins.  I throw a cedar block in for freshness and as a moth deterrant.  It's worked well so far...

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Cedar chest for almost all of my wool. otherwise I used plastic storage bin with cedar blocks.   Always dry clean my stuff which is mostly filson.

Bill

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I have mid price to cheaper stuff.(Not that I'd treat it different if I had the top shelf stuff)

Hunting season-Washed in scent free detergent,Hung outside in the entryway after the day's hunt

Not hunting season(But in use)-cold wash in wash machine as needed,hang dry,on a hanger or folded up till needed.

Off season-In the closet on a hanger.I have an upright cedar dresser that I got for storing all my wool stuff,but it's in storage at the moment.When I get a place of my own ALL my wool will live there 24/7.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline RightWing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, keep'em coming  :)

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
I put my in plastic bags and then store them in a Rubbermaid plastic tote.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
i think most important is that it is put away clear and then the bugs really don't bother it. mine just hang from the ceiling in the basement. some if it is 50 plus years old and not one bug hole. thanks grandpa( have his old pants and buffalo shirt and some lite wool shirts)

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
I just use a Rubbermaid plastic tote also with the snap on lid. I place about a 1" layer of dirt at the bottom and over that place about 3" of fresh fall leaves. They go back in there dry after every hunt and will stay there now until next fall hunting season starts again. Then I will replace the leaves with fresh ones.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 05:43:00 AM »
Walmart plastic tubs, Dead Down Wind wool wash.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
I keep my wool hanging in the garage during the season and in a rubber maid bin with a bit of cedar in the off season.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline RightWing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Mark Trego

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
In the spring I hang them out in a nice steady rain, let them dry outside then store them in a cedar chest.
" It's Five O'Clock Somewhere"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©