3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cross Fit for Bowhunters  (Read 548 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Cross Fit for Bowhunters
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
I have noticed that some posts come up from time to time about  exercise programs for hard hunts or heavier bows.  My question is why more people aren't doing crossfit?  I love it.  Check it out  www.crossfit.com  .  Today I did a workout called Fran.  If you scroll down on the demo videos it is with the ones named after women.  Don't ask me why they named them like that. 21 pullups, 21 squat press with 100lbs, 15 pullups, 15 squat press, 9 pullups, 9 squat press.  Tell me what you think.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cross Fit for Bowhunters
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
iv been meaning to give it a go for a while but never got round to it, sandbags and spartan workout using your own body weight keeps me strong.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
I forgot to mention that this is for time.  So you have to give it all you got.  You should keep track of your times so you know what you have to beat next time.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline sinistral

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
Check out p90x. Cardio and strength in one. good program that gets you motivated. Works for me.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I've done p90x.  It's okay.  I just like the daily workouts posted on crossfit.  They are free.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
I also do the zone diet.  I want to hunt with a bow as long as I am alive so I gotta keep strong.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
im currently 30 days into p90x. I will now start heavily modifying the schedule and adding in more traditional weight training. The program is more designed for weight loss and toning down. I certainly dont need to lose weight! Its a great program though for most of america. I just don't need all the cardio type routines, because i run and bike regularly. It is designed as an at home routine. I am able to do much more towards adding muscle mass with the gym equipment and heavier weight.

Ive looked at crossfit and its seems pretty good. Lots of different routines. Be a good source for different workouts to get some muscle confusion.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
I just started a program called PACE. It is strength and conditioning designed to increase lung capacity, improve heart strength, and boost metabolism. The basic premise is short duration, high intensity exercise. It is designed by a doctor. He claims that long duration, low intensity (jogging, aerobics, etc.) actually causes your lungs and heart to get smaller, so they can handle the long endurance demand.

The program is about 160 pages long, so obviously there is more to it than that, but in the short time I have been at it, I have lost three pounds and feel much better. I'm 55, so my high intensity workout is a lot different than it would be for you young pups, but eventually mine should get pretty intense. My major handicap is a prosthetic knee that precludes some exercises.

My goal is to bow hunt elk in the Rockies the year I retire. I'll be 59. Right now I am too fat and out of shape, but I plan to be lean and mean by then.

I watched some of the videos on the crossfit site. Someone would have to call 911 if I tried that right now! It looks like a similar high intensity workout though once one reaches the level of the athletes on the videos. I had to stop watching the nasty girls one. I was worn out just watching them!

You guys have the right idea though. Thanks for the post.

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »
working out till I puke is not a productive way to become fit.  I realize that crossfit does have its benefits, I cannot justify some of the things they strive for.

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
their are way better programs to use than crossfit

Offline Path finder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
Used to go to the gym every day but am no longer able to do that and must workout at home. Did P90X for a while and got bored with it.

Been doing Crossfir for about 4 months and I absolutely love it. Really like the oly lifts and the non-standard exercises like wall ball and all the girls. Gran kicks my arse every time.

More power output in less time. Crossfit rocks!

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
their are way better programs to use than crossfit
Yes their are.  If you are interested in that type of workout but want to move in a certain direction try the caveman training.  Very similar to crossfit but their is a set purpose to each workout.  Not just some very difficult exercise bunched together.

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
I have never been to a crossfit gym, I am curious if the instructors (trainers) teach proper form when lifting barbells and the like over head?  heck even a bench press with improper form will blow your shoulders out.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
I'm in my fourth year of crossfit and I really seem to like it and my body responds to it well especially when I eat Paleo.  I know there are other programs out there but my whole shift at the fire station does the rx'd WOD and it would be a bad thing if I switched them to something else.  I got em started a while ago and they all seem to like it until its hero day like today.  

Shawn

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
Crossfit is not just a bunch of exercises thrown together.  They are all functional movements.  It is what most MMA fighters are using.  We, the US Army, have been sending soldiers to get instructor qualified.  I challenged anyone to try it for a month and see if that can't shoot that next heavier bow.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
I'm glad it works for you.  
Hope you are using proper form for longevity sake.

Offline B. Butz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
When it comes to building a combination of mental stamina, cardiovascular endurance, power, and all-round functional strength, I've yet to find any program that equals Crossfit.

Don't know about the program's helpfulness if your aim is to pull heavier bows...but one month on the program and you will be able to climb taller mountains--hike longer and farther--even starting out with scaled back workouts.  Plus, pulling a deer or two out of the woods you won't even get winded.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
 It is what most MMA fighters are using
I beg to differ.  Any workout system that has crossfit type lifting routines seems to have gotten the crossfit moniker.  Crossfit is a great workout no doubt about it. But I believe the evolution of crossfit is something like Caveman training wherein these difficult core routines are built into a routine with set goals in mind. such as a push day, pull day, endurance or what have you.  I have a major issue with a quote from Coach on the crossfit site.  he said that if you lift with the mindset that you will go as intense as you can without breaking form than you will never build the intensity to see true breakthroughs.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
I'm not a fitness expert.  I've been working out with weights and cardio for a few years primarily to build strength and stamina for bowhunting.  I started Crossfit a couple of weeks ago and love it.  If you are interested in trying to maximize the little time you have available for becoming truly fit, I'd recommend checking it out.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 05:49:00 AM »
More like cross town, on my way to the Hospital. I think that's for young bucks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©