3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: any body ever had a bow blow up on them  (Read 609 times)

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
any body ever had a bow blow up on them
« on: January 19, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
so i was shooting a bow i just picked up from a guy and shot it a few times i got it for my girl friend well tonite when shooting it after about 5 rounds of three arrrows at a time the third arrow i shot the top limb blew of the bow i bvelive its a samick fedora or something like that only had the bow two days and i had no stress cracks or tiwst in teh limbs any body have an explantion, the guy i got it from said it was made in italy it looked just like a black widow
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: any body ever had a bow blow up on them
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
It's always a good idea to have the right bow name if you're going to post a thread like this. Made in Italy would be a Ragim most likely. If it looks like a Widow it is actually probably a Samick made in Korea. Fedoras are made in PA.

Could be lot's of cause for a blow up. Where did it actually break?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
I believe Samick is from Korea, and Fedora is from Pennsylvania, so I don't know what sort of bow you had.  Sucks about it blowing up, though...Mike

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
I had four bows blow up on me. Two were Navajo Scounts, One was a Wapiti Recurve and the other was a no-name bow that I took in trade. The No-name bow was the one that did the most damage to me. I required 9 stiches in my head after that incident.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Make sure you shoot an arrow of at least 8 grains per pound or damage may result. Never dry fire!
John

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
Saw a compound blow up beside me once in an indoor range. The wheel must have cracked or something and it was pumped up at the time.

The cable came around and ripped his forearm off. I was testing out a compound at the time and i gently passed the compound back to the owner of the shop and went back shootin my recurve

Jer Bear

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
I had a no name bow that blew up on me at full draw. Hurt like a s.o.b., but no damage to me. The tip split off down to the riser. I had only shot it 5 times when it happened. No dry fire and not broke nocks.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline northern trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Oh Ya!!!!

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
only 1 and it was my own fault!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
Selfbows can come apart unexpectedly.  I had a 45# rawhide-backed lemonwood selfbow that I made finally decide it was time to become kindling after 5 years of faithful performance.  At full draw the top limb broke about 10 inches below the string groove and the sharp end of the small piece of caught me just above the eyebrow of my dominant right eye and penetrated to the skull.  It was messy - looked sort of like the guy advertising the pepper spray for bear repellent after being mauled.  I was not wearing any eye protection and I am still very thankful to this day that nothing more serious happened....  Someone was looking over me that particular afternoon!
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
I have had many and some very nicebows at that.
one or two selfwood longbow. and 3 old bear bows.
but it happens to the best of us.
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
Any bowyer, correction; any "honest" bowyer has had a few give out on them for one reason or another. A guy only learns the limit by breaking a few bows.  Heck, I even had both limbs explode at the same time on me once.  Someone must have been watching out for me 'cause when the splinters finally settled I didn't have a scratch on me. Pretty neat to see...in a weird sort of way  ;)
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 12:53:00 AM »
I had a Anderson "Big Game Hunter" blow up on me. It was a 58" recurve. Gave way at the top fade out. No fun at all. Hap

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »
oh yeah......
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »
I have had 4 blow up on me.It can happen with any bow from the best bows built to a no name bow.2 blew in half at the throat of the grip and 2 had the upper limb blow out.In my experience this allways happens when you are at full draw.You will get blasted pretty good.Every archer should go though it at least once to get his badge LOL.

Yikes!!!

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »
I had a Carbon/Foam limbed Morrison Shawnee give up, fairly spectacularly! Bow was only a week old & I was at full draw with maybe it's 30th arrow. I also had the top limb blow on my Hoyt FITA recurve.
It's happened to every bowyer out there & probably most longbow/recurve shooters at some time or another.

Oh, and carbon splinters HURT!!!  :biglaugh:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 04:39:00 AM »
I had the buffalo tip sheer off my Border and the limb come flying around fortunately without injury! Scary when that happens!    :scared:   They use just carbon tips now.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
Not yet (it's bound to happen if a guy shoots long enough) a recurve, but once a compound.

It was a memorable trip to the ER...  :scared:
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
I was shooting beside my buddy this summer when his 2 year old compound bow blew up. It cut his hand and eye brow pretty good. His bow just broke in half at the grip must have been a flaw or stress crack in the metal riser is all we could figure since thats the strongest part of the bow.

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
Yep. Had a real nice selfbow made out of Ash come apart at full draw in four pieces! I had it tillered to 26" and I only draw 25" and it still blew. Never had a glass backed one part yet? I did see an old ProLine or York compound....not sure of the name but it was the one that you shot thru the center of the riser....the cable parted and the guy shooting it looked as though a Samurai sliced him from the top of his head to the middle of his chest. It required many stitches. Ya never know:) IJ
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©