3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: any body ever had a bow blow up on them  (Read 607 times)

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: any body ever had a bow blow up on them
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
2 to be exact
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline curtinmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
The bow was A Tamars Foredor.I believe it was made by Ragim in Italy. I sold John the bow.I am refunding him his money.I think these bows were distributed by AIM archery and they also were the US distributer for Samick.They are out of business.Does anyone know who is going to handle the distribution of Ragim or Samick in the future?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Never had one blow up on me while shooting it, but broke one once when I was checking its weight on a scale.  Bow breakage can be caused by poor design (a too small throat, for example, or no or insufficient limb tip overlays for today's fast flite strings) or material or construction problems such as an unseen crack or weakness in the wood and/or starved glue joints, etc.  Even with these flaws, most bows will hold up under normal circumstances.  But they'll break when put under undue stress, which I think might be occurring more as folks with long draws attempt to shoot shorter and shorter bows.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
I had a 75# Pearson blow up, slap me square on the top of the head and knock me flat.
Some people say that could be what's wrong with me.........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
My Friends Morrison Carbon/Foam blew at full draw. He knew something was wrong when he was holding just the string with no bow attached...
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Yep, first attempt at a selfbow. I was drawing it to check the tiller  ( I just whittled it out until it looked like a bow and strung it up).

It was maple, and when it blew there was shrapnel all over the place. Kinda scary!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
dont ask bbassi about a really pretty Wing he let me try..(I do think he has pics somewhere)....  Lucky for me, I was un-scathed.  It did take quite a bit of nerve to draw the next bow I shot.......
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
My Bear Magnum after I had used it more than 10 years.  It was more of an instant and catastrophic delam.

Several self bows that I made.  I think it was pin knots in the center of the limbs that were not obvious when I was buidling them.  Only one blew up on a customer - that was in February and probably was strung and shot quickly without warmup.  I have had both Hickory and Ipe blow up.  I fully test in my shop before they go out so hopefully any structural flaws are found by me.   Thankd the LORD no one , especially me, has been hurt in any blow ups.  They usually just go blam and fold back in my hand.

I have heard of injuries with some folk.

I watched a kid pull the cables off some keepers on a compound in a Sporting Goods store one day.  He was bleeding from hand and neck - they took him in the back....

Don't know how bad it really was.

I don't trust all that mechanical stuff.

Just a bow and string is technical enough for me   :)
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
Two samick's,  cracked last week in my archery league lancaster archery replaced them.  find out where the guy bought it and it should be covered.

Bill

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
One riser split right through the shelf and grip at full draw. No injuries thank goodness...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Only time this happened to me was with a compound. One of the cables let go. It just made a bunch of noise and the cables and string just wound around it's self. No damage, but sure got my attention!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Yep.  Twice.  Both well named bowyers and both replaced or refunded.  Regardless, a very unpleasant experience. One blew up while hunting on a tripod at full draw.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
I've had two blow up- a '67 Super Kodiak and a '68 Super Kodiak. One was obviously high risk but the '68 kinda surprised me. Each delammed along the lower nose cap. Rob Peel is right- that kinda weight (69#) packs a wallop when it folds up at full draw. I still shoot a 65# Super K pretty regularly but I'm a little flinchy for the first few shots- but only with older phenolic bows.              Grant

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
I had one 90# no-name longbow split at the edge of the sight window and back up through the limb, luckily I had the bow canted over enough for the top limb to miss me as it came flying back. I had been shooting that bow for 6 months and showed no signs of defect.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
I had one blow up on me.  Scared me more than anything.  A few splinters to pull out of my hand.  I was more sad for the loss of the bow.  It was a great little bow.  Real bueaty.  Hated to see her busted up.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
I've had three compounds come apart on me and one recurve over the years.

Not a good thing to happen for sure.  :eek:    :scared:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
It hasn't happened to me (yet), but it happened last summer to my son, who was 9 at the time.  A well-made youth bow came unglued and whacked the daylights out of him.  I'm glad to say that the bowyer replaced the bow and my son's back to shooting.    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Indie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I had a Tamars Foredor and a couple of Selfbows blown up on me.
Didn´t get hurt, luckily.

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
i had a hazelnut selfbow blow up on me when i was stringing it. using a stringer to... just blew up just above the handle and wacked my hand real good cause it was numb for a while.. and it was loud when it blew to!
~Andrew Wesley

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
i had a one piece ol adcock ACS CX by built by OL himself Blow up . The top limb smacked me  right in the center of the forehead  . I was taking a practice shot while in my tree stand two falls ago. Some times it happens. The bow was fine one minute the next OUCH. Still waiting on Ol's promise to replace that bow........ hope it happens soon, I miss that stick!
Make a life, not a living

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©